Fitness and Nutrition

HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR SPINE HEALTHY AS YOU AGE???

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 10:24 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54079 posts
18994 upvotes

HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR SPINE HEALTHY AS YOU AGE???

Two colleagues went on sick / disability leave, both experiencing significant back problems, with one of them involving herniated disks. :(

What are some tips that you can share to keep our spines and disks in tip top shape? I still recall my Kinesiology professor telling us the best position for the back is lying down, followed by standing/walking, and worst is sitting down for prolonged periods of time, which I think we all are kinda guilty of.

https://www.everydayhealth.com/back-pai ... -tips.aspx
http://www.thespinehealthinstitute.com/ ... as-you-age
28 replies
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2976 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
Yoga.

Some people swear by spinal decompression techniques with inversion tables.
Dec 10, 2007
604 posts
421 upvotes
Arviat
Maintain a healthy weight, meaning not being overweight.. Your spine (and joints!) can only carry so much.
Remember when you liked what you currently have
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6400 posts
1211 upvotes
Don't become obese, keep active regularly, if you have coverage or can afford it-regular check ins with a good physio therapist (to screen movement patterns, posture, gait, etc.) can't hurt.

Keeping your core strong and stable can help you avoid injury too. By core, I don't just mean abs but muscles in the entire trunk; ones that support the spine and pelvis (i.e. Everything from abs to glutes to erectors to all the other muscles in th hips and pelvis) . Developing both strength *and* stability are important, not just one without the other.
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3908 posts
2352 upvotes
Ontario
Don't sit at the computer surfing chat forums every day.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20277 posts
2899 upvotes
Niagara Falls
Biggest things for me.

Squats and setting my work chair to otnlean back.

Squats has helped my overall health significantly.
Deal Fanatic
May 2, 2006
7315 posts
1875 upvotes
GTA
I find yoga and foam rolling to be most effective for recovery and injury prevention. Otherwise, stay active, hydrate, take frequent breaks from sitting, avoid sleeping on your stomach, try to maintain a healthy weight.
Deal Addict
Mar 16, 2010
3209 posts
1764 upvotes
Burlington
Evil Baby wrote: Biggest things for me.

Squats and setting my work chair to otnlean back.

Squats has helped my overall health significantly.
ATG baby.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6400 posts
1211 upvotes
Dpack22 wrote: ATG baby.
It's not necessary to squat to maintain a healthy spine. But if you squat, it's certainly not necessary to go ATG. Most people probably have zero need to squat that low.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 10, 2004
6133 posts
1993 upvotes
Thornhill
I would actually tell people to stay away from squats unless you know what you are doing. 60% of people in the gym doing it wrong. You can do way more harm than good. Same with dead lifts. Stay away. period.
If you want to do squats, get a GOOD trainer to spend some time showing you how to do it properly, to watch and correct you. Then you need to make sure weights are appropriate. A lot get so hyper in the gym, they put on too much to avoid looking bad or to test themselves or to stroke the ego and hurt themselves in the process. Squats can help, I am not against them, but you just have to do it properly or you will make things worse for your back. Most folks would get more benefit from yoga, swimming, stretching instead. That and fixing day to day bad habits of sitting, walking, bending and even sleeping in a wrong way. Changing your chair or bed can be much better than anything else.

And you are not posting info how those colleagues of yours got their problem. Whether it was work related or they did it at home vacuuming... or maybe they had a wild night at a club; whether they were sitting 12 hours years on end with a bad posture. Whether they are 150lb or 250lb. Each of those may require different ways of approach.
I often use voice typing and rarely read what I had typed...
Deal Expert
Mar 18, 2005
20277 posts
2899 upvotes
Niagara Falls
dazz wrote: I would actually tell people to stay away from squats unless you know what you are doing. 60% of people in the gym doing it wrong. You can do way more harm than good. Same with dead lifts. Stay away. period.
If you want to do squats, get a GOOD trainer to spend some time showing you how to do it properly, to watch and correct you. Then you need to make sure weights are appropriate. A lot get so hyper in the gym, they put on too much to avoid looking bad or to test themselves or to stroke the ego and hurt themselves in the process. Squats can help, I am not against them, but you just have to do it properly or you will make things worse for your back. Most folks would get more benefit from yoga, swimming, stretching instead. That and fixing day to day bad habits of sitting, walking, bending and even sleeping in a wrong way. Changing your chair or bed can be much better than anything else.

And you are not posting info how those colleagues of yours got their problem. Whether it was work related or they did it at home vacuuming... or maybe they had a wild night at a club; whether they were sitting 12 hours years on end with a bad posture. Whether they are 150lb or 250lb. Each of those may require different ways of approach.
I should explain myself better.

I assumed OP isn't talking about an actual spine issue, since if it was that would have to come from a doctor and what to do would be explained to OP. If its like me, its more likely a muscle issue.

I've always had poor posture in a computer chair where I spend a significant amount of my time and I've messed up my back usually once or twice a year from BJJ. The muscles just get mad at me and over compensate and I can't walk up right for a few days. I'd done stretching to try and fix the problem but honestly, I find stretching boring as heck which is too bad because of how beneficial it is, especially in the sport of BJJ.

I find working out much more enjoyable.

Of course no one should run down to the gym and do weighted squats without knowing what they are doing, but even just using body weight, it helps tremendously.

I haven't had back issues since I stopped allowing my chair to lean back and since I've started working out. My back has only gotten stronger which I love.
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6400 posts
1211 upvotes
dazz wrote: I would actually tell people to stay away from squats unless you know what you are doing. 60% of people in the gym doing it wrong. You can do way more harm than good. Same with dead lifts. Stay away. period.

Yes, thank you! There is NO exercise that is universally appropriate for everyone. Context always matters. This is only anecdotal but I also see that the majority of people squatting in the gym are doing so incorrectly. Between the knee valgus, the flared ribs, lack of core control, lack of lumbar control, coming up onto toes, wobbly walk outs, ayyyyyyeee...it's amazing that they don't injure themselves. Then again, these usually aren't long term members so who knows what happens to them.
Jun 12, 2017
122 posts
46 upvotes
A strong body, foundation and core. Regular movement and activity and developing a strong awareness of your body as you age.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
2976 posts
474 upvotes
Toronto
amz155 wrote: Yes, thank you! There is NO exercise that is universally appropriate for everyone. Context always matters. This is only anecdotal but I also see that the majority of people squatting in the gym are doing so incorrectly. Between the knee valgus, the flared ribs, lack of core control, lack of lumbar control, coming up onto toes, wobbly walk outs, ayyyyyyeee...it's amazing that they don't injure themselves. Then again, these usually aren't long term members so who knows what happens to them.
Please answer this question that has been nagging at me. Backsquats are primarily based on a hinge motion: yes, no, maybe?