Fitness and Nutrition

HOW DO YOU KEEP YOUR SPINE HEALTHY AS YOU AGE???

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 19th, 2018 10:24 am
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18202 posts
2307 upvotes
Out west
theadonisking wrote: Well if you understand how neurolophysiology works, you'll notice that if you stop stretching lose mobility, it's because your nervous system regulates the length of the muscles to stabilize the joints as much as possible.

Static stretching also weakens the muscle because you desensitize the stretch reflex, and with that comes a higher risk of injury, that's one reason why static stretching is contrindicated pre workout.
Yep, this kinda crap.

Im middle age and healthy, comes down to good diet and excercise. Want to plant yourself all day in a chair and not do anything else, your gonna have problems

I do static strecting post workouts, and have for decades. And if I go for a jog, I sometimes to pre workout. I never stretch cold, unless you count a desk stretch in your chair wrong

Even if it is, dont care. I can look down and see my dick without a belly in the way, unlike a ton of people my age I know.
Feb 13, 2017
123 posts
26 upvotes
As long as you dont stretch to GAIN range of motion you'll be fine, it's just not as useful as people think, because if you do weight training, you already stretch and contract to the safe limits of your range of motion anyway.

If someone lacks range of motion because of a postural issue (anterior pelvic tilt/hyperlordosis, or kyphosis, forward neck posture), then recalibrating the posture with posturology will help achieve a better range of motion without stretching but by giving better input to the CNS.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18202 posts
2307 upvotes
Out west
theadonisking wrote: As long as you dont stretch to GAIN range of motion you'll be fine, it's just not as useful as people think, because if you do weight training, you already stretch and contract to the safe limits of your range of motion anyway.

If someone lacks range of motion because of a postural issue (anterior pelvic tilt/hyperlordosis, or kyphosis, forward neck posture), then recalibrating the posture with posturology will help achieve a better range of motion without stretching but by giving better input to the CNS.
So are you saying Yoga isnt something you should do, because its just that.

How do you think people in athletics get better range of motion that need to have better flexibility.
Feb 13, 2017
123 posts
26 upvotes
Yoga is not about achieving better range of motion, more about relaxation, breathing, and not really considered static stretching because you dont stay in position for a long period

Sports that require great flexibility like gymnastics, etc, of course you will need to stretch but it doesn't need that it's optimal for the joints, anyway the people that do gymnastics or any sports demanding great mobility normally have a genetic predisposition for it too, since mobility varies a lot for each individual.
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
18202 posts
2307 upvotes
Out west
theadonisking wrote: Yoga is not about achieving better range of motion, more about relaxation, breathing, and not really considered static stretching because you dont stay in position for a long period

Sports that require great flexibility like gymnastics, etc, of course you will need to stretch but it doesn't need that it's optimal for the joints, anyway the people that do gymnastics or any sports demanding great mobility normally have a genetic predisposition for it too, since mobility varies a lot for each individual.
What do you consider a long period? Some poses for yoga you hold awhile
Deal Fanatic
May 14, 2009
6420 posts
1217 upvotes
theadonisking wrote: and stretching (primarily static stretching) is useless and causes more harm than good

https://posturepro.co/mobility-drills-and-posturology/
So they just made up the term posturology?
What is Posturology?
The basic premise of Posturology is that the body receives sensory information from the environment primarily via the foot, eye, bite and skin. If there is a defect in one or more of these systems, the body adapts to the faulty signals it’s receiving, and thereby becomes pathologically imbalanced. The aim of Posturology is to correct errors at these receptor sites, returning the body to proper equilibrium.
Neutral Face

Blanket claims, for example, that static stretching is useless are themselves useless. Context matters. Static stretching is not useless for every context.
Feb 13, 2017
123 posts
26 upvotes
Posturology was created by an french orthopedic surgeon, Mr. Bricot, the treatment is way more popular in Europe but its becoming known slowly in NA.

When I say static stretching is useless I mean when talking about back pain which is the goal of this thread, especially if you stretch the hamstrings or any muscle trying to alleviate back pain, because it doesnt treat the cause, which is generally, if chronic, a faulty posture.
Deal Addict
Nov 9, 2003
2689 posts
278 upvotes
Essentially is pretty easy. Don’t sit as that is the worst thing you can do and keep your posture awesome by lifting your chest up.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8505 posts
2962 upvotes
Mississauga
Unlike what person above says about posturology, I find that when I started to regularly do static stretching of my glutes, hams, quads, soas, and ql muscles, my lower back soreness that I always get the day after playing volleyball, was subsided.

When you bend over and relax and have lost range to reach close to the ground, the above stretches (even though none are directly stretching the lower back), restore a lot of range of motion and I'm able to touch the ground again (not right away necessarily), but after you do them regularly for at least a few days, just 30 second holds are sufficient - nothing excessive.

But yes, they don't recommend excessive stretching of just the lower back muscles on their own, as it can introduce stability issues. Even in yoga, sometimes in rest sequences and what not, they have you bending down forward and reaching for the ground, but they don't advocate forceful stretching to get there - just relax in the pose.