[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10018 posts
5163 upvotes
Markham

How do you plan your summer - Ontario

This question is more specifically to people in Ontario

Since we are in lockdown at least to May 20th and I suspect will be extended to June minimum, July and August will be better but I don't know how much better. So how do you guys plan your summer? Staycation ? Go to parks nearby?

What's your plan
45 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
16689 posts
14002 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
This Summer should be better than last summer
As we now have the vaccines
And everyday in Ontario ... more & more people are getting vaccinated

I expect we are in the last round of the BIG Lockdowns

We are on the brink of freedom again
Be that May 21st ... or June 21st (just in time for Canada Day )
But it ain’t far off now

We are 60+
Everyone we know ...
Between the ages of 50 and 100 have already gotten at least one shot

And everyday we hear of more people now over 40 getting vaccinated at the pharmacy

I can see where masks, social distancing, and limitations on people congregating will still exist for some time to come
(Til we get to that magic 70% + herd immunity number )

But there’s gonna be more freedom of movement and vaccinated people allowed to gather

All great news

I am truly excited about Summer 2021

And am busily making plans to travel again come Fall & Winter
After I get my second / booster shot
Banned
Apr 29, 2021
91 posts
85 upvotes
I'm planning to travel to Europe. The biggest variable for me right now is ensuring I'll get my 2nd dose in time to be considered fully vaccinated by late August. Otherwise it looks like Europe will be open for vaccinated people. Canada may still have travel restrictions but I'll comply or work my way around them.
Deal Addict
Jan 12, 2005
4818 posts
1271 upvotes
Mississauga
Not planning anything. This year is still too unknown for me. I have both my shots, but will wait when everything is back open a bit more and not overly expensive due to influx of tourist, i.e. see Hawaii. If anything, it will be a last minute thing.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
8892 posts
3390 upvotes
Toronto
We like to drive to the east coast. Haven't seen the east coast other than a brief visit. By end of summer, we should all be fully vaccinated. Before it gets cold, we'd like to go to Gros Morne NP (places are already getting booked up), Bay of Fundy, etc.
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11926 posts
2317 upvotes
Toronto
Already have some places booked from last year or very early this year (camping, cottage). Other then that, stay around home, plenty of local parks for beaches, bbq, etc. Make my driveway more of a getogether place which I've already done more of recently, but will look to 'spruce it up' so it's nicer. Site seeing by cruising around. Family golfing.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 5, 2006
10018 posts
5163 upvotes
Markham
at1212b wrote: Already have some places booked from last year or very early this year (camping, cottage). Other then that, stay around home, plenty of local parks for beaches, bbq, etc. Make my driveway more of a getogether place which I've already done more of recently, but will look to 'spruce it up' so it's nicer. Site seeing by cruising around. Family golfing.
Is now too early or too late to book cottage?
Deal Guru
Mar 31, 2008
11926 posts
2317 upvotes
Toronto
smartie wrote: Is now too early or too late to book cottage?
I don't know since I've already booked and haven't search. Search online and tell us what you see please. In a normal year, options would be more limited by this time.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7050 posts
1386 upvotes
Scarborough
I doubt if we will actually see lifting of lockdowns or even relaxing of measures this year.....seems a writeoff atm....
Deal Addict
Nov 13, 2013
2778 posts
1474 upvotes
Ottawa
GateGuardian wrote: Not planning anything. This year is still too unknown for me. I have both my shots, but will wait when everything is back open a bit more and not overly expensive due to influx of tourist, i.e. see Hawaii. If anything, it will be a last minute thing.
Everything decent will be sold out. US and Europe will be nearly back to normal. Europe was basically back to normal last summer without vaccines. Probably masks indoors still and some reduced numbers but bars cafes all will be open.
Deal Addict
Jan 26, 2017
1044 posts
1214 upvotes
All I can say is IF it is safe to travel again in 2021 it will be a shit show trying to book flights and hotels!
It will be a race to secure airfare seats and rooms to hotels. Not to mention airfare, hotels and attractions will ever so conveniently jack up their prices $$$$$$
So even if it is safe this year I don’t think I’d want to battle it out with other travellers and long lineups this year, maybe 2022?!
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4944 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
There will never really be an end to this so it's better to get used to this way of life now.
Not a political sig
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2008
2019 posts
635 upvotes
fogetmylogin wrote: Everything decent will be sold out. US and Europe will be nearly back to normal. Europe was basically back to normal last summer without vaccines. Probably masks indoors still and some reduced numbers but bars cafes all will be open.
The situation in India is concerning. I really doubt if any of the current vaccines are enough for those variants-which are likely scattered worldwide.
Mar 6, 2014
952 posts
204 upvotes
Toronto
Just like last year, it will be a lot of day trips. I have young kids who are a bit too young for camping and I don't want to be in a hotel where you could potentially be in the same floor as someone with covid-19. Airbnb is a option, but again I wouldn't want to be on a plane either.

That said, there are a lot of places in Ontario that you could explore.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2004
4944 posts
539 upvotes
Victoria
As long as covid zero remains policy there will never be a free summer again.
Not a political sig
Mar 6, 2018
152 posts
91 upvotes
My friends have a backpacking trip planned in Wyoming in the Wind River Range for 8 days the last week of August. I am currently included but will have to see if the quarantine hotel rule in Canada changes by then. Flying out should not be a problem as I will have my second shot by 1st week of August, but I am not going to spend an excess of $1000 to be in a hotel on my home soil upon flying back.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
8680 posts
2599 upvotes
Mississauga
Blue Mountain in the summer. And then once we are both fully vaccinated by September, will plan a trip in late fall, maybe Xmas.
My food blog - Reggie The Food Critic.