Off Topic

How do you protect yourself when dealing with buyer for Craigslist type high value transaction

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 1st, 2019 8:42 am
[OP]
Mar 13, 2012
844 posts
663 upvotes
Surrey

How do you protect yourself when dealing with buyer for Craigslist type high value transaction

How do you protect yourself when dealing with buyer for Craigslist type high value transaction ?

Besides meeting in public places like police station, malls or bank, is it legal to video recording without consent during the transaction , and delete them afterwards
21 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 17, 2009
2399 posts
1085 upvotes
How much $$$ are you saving yourself, by buying via Craiglist? Is it worth it, or is it better to buy retail where you get to make use of warranties, returns, receipts, etc?

For high value items, police station is a must, not malls or banks, as some have learned the hard way. What's the point of recording the transaction? If the buyer gets wind of it, s/he may get spooked. You can never predict a person's reaction. It sounds to me like you need a lawyer's advice, whether to tape someone.
Corvus oculum corvi non eruit.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
12589 posts
1953 upvotes
City of Vancouver
If u r in a public place, there is no expectation of privacy. So, go ahead and record.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Jul 3, 2019
303 posts
61 upvotes
I wouldn’t trust that website to be honest.
Deal Addict
Jun 17, 2012
2296 posts
317 upvotes
In another world
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 12:18 pm
How much $$$ are you saving yourself, by buying via Craiglist? Is it worth it, or is it better to buy retail where you get to make use of warranties, returns, receipts, etc?

For high value items, police station is a must, not malls or banks, as some have learned the hard way. What's the point of recording the transaction? If the buyer gets wind of it, s/he may get spooked. You can never predict a person's reaction. It sounds to me like you need a lawyer's advice, whether to tape someone.
This.

Just to be curious, what item are you talking about?
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2005
3659 posts
979 upvotes
Ottawa
Micelli_Illuminatti wrote:
Aug 22nd, 2019 12:18 pm

The post clearly suggests op is the seller. Sure, if your buying it's easy to go retail but if you've got stuff to get rid of it's not always so obvious.

Definitely in public, take someone with you as witness. If you want to record the transaction make it clear you will be doing so prior to meeting. Make sure the person is clearly identifiable before approaching e.g. no hoodies or face covering. Arrive early to be familiar with the surroundings. If you don't feel comfortable with the person or situation, back off.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
41077 posts
4863 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
Meet them at night... get a buddy with a laser pointer sitting near by high up.

If he tries anything... just do the hand signal.
Then your buddy points a laser pointer at him.

Then say “you don’t know who you're messing with... i got a sniper on you... and who knows what else ;) i likee to see you try!!!”
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
11663 posts
1382 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Why dick around? Just meet at the police station. Better to avoid getting robbed altogether than to have proof of getting robbed.

Let's say you meet somewhere random, record the dude, he beats the crap out of you, takes your merchandise and your recording device, and then what are you going to do?
Deal Addict
Sep 19, 2013
2033 posts
674 upvotes
Winnipeg
Use the dark web for high value transactions.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move. -- Douglas Adams
Apr 15, 2014
705 posts
644 upvotes
Toronto, ON
UrbanPoet wrote:
Aug 24th, 2019 11:35 am
Meet them at night... get a buddy with a laser pointer sitting near by high up.

If he tries anything... just do the hand signal.
Then your buddy points a laser pointer at him.

Then say “you don’t know who you're messing with... i got a sniper on you... and who knows what else ;) i likee to see you try!!!”
Hehe. U been watching breaking bad?
Please respond