Careers

How do you stay positive when interviewing?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 24th, 2019 3:39 pm
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
422 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON

How do you stay positive when interviewing?

With every rejection I get, it is really mentally draining. I did really well on some interviews, got to 2nd stage with reference calls and still not get the offer. I can generally tell if an interview went well and its discouraging to still fail even when I did well.

My references are dependable as I gotten job offers with them in past so thats not the issue.

I feel like im auditioning for a movie with some of these interviews, its ridiculous :(
76 replies
Deal Addict
Jul 19, 2012
1868 posts
291 upvotes
Canada
Keep practicing
Sometimes it depends on luck and timing
The right job will find u
Don’t give up!
Nov 3, 2007
859 posts
55 upvotes
Cambridge
Just remember its an/the employers favor nowadays............ more people looking for work than jobs
All you can do is try and keep at it
Cambridge,Ontario
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32991 posts
18742 upvotes
Ottawa
Rejection, or someone better was hired?
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
422 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: Rejection, or someone better was hired?
When I received the bad news in the e-mail they said "you interviewed well but another candidate was hired" and this was actually typed by the HR and not an automated rejection. Isnt rejection and another candidate being hired the same thing?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8722 posts
2706 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: With every rejection I get, it is really mentally draining. I did really well on some interviews, got to 2nd stage with reference calls and still not get the offer. I can generally tell if an interview went well and its discouraging to still fail even when I did well.

My references are dependable as I gotten job offers with them in past so thats not the issue.

I feel like im auditioning for a movie with some of these interviews, its ridiculous :(
It is partly an acting job. The more likeable you come across the better chance of getting the job - all else being equal of-course - experience, skills...etc. It would be way more discouraging if you weren't getting interviews because that is a harder mountain to climb. The more you interview the better you're going to get, continue to polish up your interview skills and keep at it.
Discomfort is your friend
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
422 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Ive been getting interviews almost weekly and sometimes (very rarely) I can tell if the interviewer just straight up dismisses me before I even open my mouth lol. I have a document in word of all the weird questions ive been asked so Im more prepared.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
32991 posts
18742 upvotes
Ottawa
mikolyyyy wrote: When I received the bad news in the e-mail they said "you interviewed well but another candidate was hired" and this was actually typed by the HR and not an automated rejection. Isnt rejection and another candidate being hired the same thing?
If it was me who selected the other person over you, it could have been a toss up.
Stay positive, as you certainly have the required qualifications to be selected for an interview.
When I was looking to hire my two directs reports, HR sent me 50 resumes (after supposedly screen hundreds of resumes) and I had a tough time, as the resumes appeared to be carbon copies of each other and required me to look for other unique skill set and attributes.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 10, 2005
8722 posts
2706 upvotes
mikolyyyy wrote: Ive been getting interviews almost weekly and sometimes (very rarely) I can tell if the interviewer just straight up dismisses me before I even open my mouth lol. I have a document in word of all the weird questions ive been asked so Im more prepared.
Assumptions based on first impressions are made fairly quickly since the hiring manager already has your resume and knows your experience so it's just a matter of is this person a fit...etc
Discomfort is your friend
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
422 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
blexann wrote: Assumptions based on first impressions are made fairly quickly since the hiring manager already has your resume and knows your experience so it's just a matter of is this person a fit...etc
Yeah, I agree. Im a pretty good with people but these rejections are starting to make me second guess myself :( . I dont even get nervous because going on interviews has become 2nd nature now with how often Im meeting new people.
[OP]
Jan 25, 2015
422 posts
164 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: If it was me who selected the other person over you, it could have been a toss up.
Stay positive, as you certainly have the required qualifications to be selected for an interview.
When I was looking to hire my two directs reports, HR sent me 50 resumes (after supposedly screen hundreds of resumes) and I had a tough time, as the resumes appeared to be carbon copies of each other and required me to look for other unique skill set and attributes.
Losing to a toss up is defiantly a possibility and I think that hurts even more lol. I felt great after that interview because I did so well but I guess its back to square 1. There was one company that called my references after 2 interviews than just ignored me lol.
Apr 18, 2017
523 posts
392 upvotes
I do feel you man and I am in a similar boat. I’ve been with my company for three years in an entry level position and have done 9 interviews within the time to move up with with all rejection. When I get back my feedback from the hiring managers its always been oh your interview was great but I was looking for experience or something else that is really out of my control to improve on. Like I apply to a job for compliance, of course I don’t have any experience yet that’s their reason. It is
Apr 18, 2017
523 posts
392 upvotes
I agree it is mentally draining and Of course I can look outside and have tried but no luck that way either. I am very upset and fustrated but like other posters have said, these kind of things are out of our hands, it’s in the hiring managers hand.
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2010
4306 posts
643 upvotes
From experience, the more you do it the more prepared you become for the next interview, especially if they are relatively close to each other and the more prepared you are the more likely you will receive an offer.
When I was let go from my previous job, I was totally unprepared the first few interviews, but with experience most of the questions (general and technical) mostly repeated itself so it was easier and probably after the 10th interview, all the interviews I did resulted in an offer.
So I basically had 3 offers at hand and I was able to pit them against each other by forcing them to give me an answer faster and for more money, they didn't mind it too much because they also saw the value in me.

But yea, it was exhausting, I can relate to your situation.

One comment I'll make, I wouldn't give references before getting an offer letter, it's not easy to show credible references and some people get tired when you ask them often or when they get calls about you often.
To me, I will say I'll give references once there is an offer in place or at least they verbally tell me they are writing one, not before.
Nov 3, 2007
859 posts
55 upvotes
Cambridge
No doubt about though the 70's was a cakewalk to get jobs
Cambridge,Ontario