Fashion & Beauty

How do you survive in a suit in this weather?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 6th, 2018 12:35 pm
Tags:
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1884 posts
4599 upvotes
FHill
Arc’teryx veilance galvanic down coat + your suit + icebreaker anatomica leggings with fly
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24672 posts
8742 upvotes
Toronto
Maylay wrote: Also get some of those heat-tech undershirt/pants from Uniqlo. They aren't that cheap at around $20 each (regular price, but occasionally goes on sale), but given that I basically wear them everyday during the winter, it is easily a small price to pay for how much I get out of them.

They have some sort of "technology" that makes them better than cheaper ones (heat regulating, etc...). I had thermal underpants before but they weren't really comfortable and made my pants rise slightly. No issues at all with the Uniqlo ones.
this!!

++ Uniqloe heat-tech undershirt and long johns - these things work. I picked up some in Asia (before Uniqlo came to Canada) - this stuff is awesome (but not cheap).

I commute from Richmond Hill to downtown Toronto every day and need to stand on the GO Platform - the Uniqlo heat-tech under-clothing saves me in the cold winters - esp. the long johns. Keeps me warm outside and I'm not over-heating in the office.

I have to wear a suit every day (don't really need a tie) and I get suits made with somewhat thin material (otherwise I'll overheat in the summer). This way, I can wear my suits all season and just add to my base layer in the winter.

I typically wear a wool 3/4 jacket with my suit and add the base layer on the cold winter days. But on the cold cold days, I wear my Columbia goretex jacket and carry my suit jacket in a fold up bag.

With the last couple of weeks, I've had to wear my Uniqlo long johns almost every day - i only have a few and need to wash them mid-week.

On a side note, I don't really find myself sweating in the Uniqlo heat-tech, I think it is breathable and don't even find myself getting overly warm in the office either...

My main problem in the winter is the slush at the back of the suit pants when I walk. I don't wear high winter boots and typically when the weather warms up and there is slush on the ground - the back of my suit pants gets wrecked with splatter of slush......still haven't found a solution to this...
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
My acquitance who works at the downtown core told me that by taking the underground pathway in Toronto, you don't even need to wear a jacket! Is your building not connected? Or do you prefer to walk outside?

I prefer to walk outside but I get sweaty from dressing room warm and then my office clothes get smelly. Just keep moving and remember to wear mittons, hats and scarfs!

A knitted sweater underneath your cost may help. Good luck! Maybe is all the tall building tunneling the wind at you!
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2017
1884 posts
4599 upvotes
FHill
Poppwl wrote: My acquitance who works at the downtown core told me that by taking the underground pathway in Toronto, you don't even need to wear a jacket! Is your building not connected? Or do you prefer to walk outside?

I prefer to walk outside but I get sweaty from dressing room warm and then my office clothes get smelly. Just keep moving and remember to wear mittons, hats and scarfs!

A knitted sweater underneath your cost may help. Good luck! Maybe is all the tall building tunneling the wind at you!
This is true about the PATH but getting to and from it is when one has to brave the elements and the GO train terminal is still not fully connected.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2015
1568 posts
206 upvotes
Markham, ON
Omakase wrote: This is true about the PATH but getting to and from it is when one has to brave the elements and the GO train terminal is still not fully connected.
Some "fortune" people do not need to get out of the building at all. I don't get it. I like fresh air.
Deal Guru
Mar 22, 2005
12640 posts
6013 upvotes
I find my wool overcoat plenty warm. Never cold in it even at 20 below.

I've been wearing a suit for 20 year and I love it on every day except when it's 30+. Then it's a bit painful.

Weary Face
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2005
13811 posts
2516 upvotes
GapBoyPCS wrote: Base layer (e.g. Under Armour Coldgear)...
Under Armour makes Base 5.0 baselayers. Look up the reviews. I have the Base 4.0 leggings.
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
Statistics101 wrote: I'm one of those poor souls who have to show up to work everyday in full suit and tie. I have a few wool and cashmere overcoats which are good enough for any weather above -10c.

However, this week has been well below 20c and overcoats just can't handle that type of weather. I can't wear my PJS/CG bomber with my suit (looks kinda stupid), but I don't think anything else will be able to keep me warm in this temperature.

Any suggestions of heavy coats that would keep me warm and fashionable when wear a suit?
Quick question: how do you commute in summer with suit? Just wear it in the public transit? Isn’t too hot?
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
smartie wrote: Quick question: how do you commute in summer with suit? Just wear it in the public transit? Isn’t too hot?
Leave your jacket at work?
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16792 posts
12577 upvotes
Markham
thericyip wrote: Leave your jacket at work?
Well, then the seats in public transit are dirty, which makes dress shirts become dirty too when arrive in office
Deal Addict
Jun 29, 2008
1897 posts
557 upvotes
North York
smartie wrote: Well, then the seats in public transit are dirty, which makes dress shirts become dirty too when arrive in office
I give up.
Aug 5, 2008
500 posts
350 upvotes
Maylay wrote: I had to look online to find out, but the promo video says rayon is used to wick moisture and convert it to heat, which is then trapped by thin fibres to retain heat.
This doesn't sound right - you can't "convert moisture into heat", they're two completely separate things. They probably mean it retains heat while letting moisture escape.
Deal Addict
Mar 29, 2008
4117 posts
1216 upvotes
Driving can be a pain in the butt, but one advantage of driving garage to garage is that I think I’ve only worn a winter coat M-F a couple of times in the last few years.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52937 posts
18148 upvotes
ONTARIO
I go to work wearing dress pants+ dress shirt.
That way i can wear winter boots to keep feet warm, down jacket to stay warm up top, and ear muffs/gloves for the extremities.

I leave my jackets in my closet.
I Just throw on a jacket when im there.

Is the point to stay warm? Or to stay stylish at all times? Even to and from the office?
If thats the case... wear high performance, breathable, warm long johns. Aka "base layer" to not sound geeky.
I survived 2 weeks in the deep of winter with a spring jacket...
All because i had long johns + protect the head and extremities (feet+hands). Your upper body is actually pretty resilient at maintaining heat. Its the heat loss from legs, feet, hands and head that really lower your core temperature.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)