Off Topic

How do you think COVID-19 will change the world when this is all over?

[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10635 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto

How do you think COVID-19 will change the world when this is all over?

Just a thought, I personally have to go to work and if I have symptoms then I'm sent home immediately. The industry I am in is basically (currently with what is going on right now) an essential service. 60 hour weeks. Very tiring and frustrating knowing that any one of us could have this virus and spread it to everyone else. Many are scared, many are walking away from work saying they feel feverish and are taking 2 weeks off, etc. The fear people have right now is absolutely horrible.

But then I thought to myself, with ALL of the money the government is using to help people and businesses, what do you think will happen after this virus is pretty much deemed gone and it's safe to resume going out in social settings?

I think in the short term this is going to keep people on edge for awhile, but then I think what about businesses that just couldn't survive through this time, how many jobs will be lost, how many people will be in bankruptcy or at the least walk away from their homes or even trying or having to find a new job?

The industry I am in, it's pretty crazy that when big problems happen, we get very busy and I make way more money than I would normally. 2008 was a perfect example of having non stop over time due to everyone shopping at grocery stores and not going out to restaurants all the time. Right now it's absolutely insane and the outlook is we will be this busy until around July-August.
280 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2222 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
I think human greed and evil will soon end all humanity. This system of oppression cannot be sustained and the rich getting richer while the poor continue to plod away with no end in sight will cause problems. Countries hungry for power will try to destroy those with power , while this has been going on for years , we now may have the technology to actually execute total destruction on ourselves. All because one human needs to peacock around and get the pleasure of world domination. Many will die. I’m just a ray of sunshine I know lol
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2015
3939 posts
1155 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
as long as we have love and happiness, we are can survive and be just fine, just kidding, we cant pay our rent with love and happiness, what nonsense do people have
Hi
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2015
3267 posts
28298 upvotes
Toronto, ON
kumbaya circles are great if everyone is lively. otherwise it's just a circle. I don't think the world will do much different. There have been many flus with a less severe death rate, and we got through it. I don't think there's any fear. Uncertainty yes and for people still paying bills how many years after graduating. Welcome to the world we live in. It's only as much as you put in. Hope you get a response on your own from the world around you.
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2013
2222 posts
554 upvotes
Toronto
I also think that countries and people in general are going to be very weary of ordering from china, their economy is gonna have a very hard time coming back from this disaster
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2014
2240 posts
469 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Push for digital currencies that can be controlled more easily, push for vaccination imprints of some kind that double as a tracking identifier. Expansion of govt surveillance; an instrumental part of china's response was their tracking and surveillance programs to identify who came into contact with 'the infected'. A scale back of globalization to more national protectionist policies since a systematic failure of too mutually dependent global supply chains is coming shortly. Universal income of some form. Whatever happens there will be a great reduction in human rights because too many people are easily willing to give up something that they never had to fight for before or earn with their own blood.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 1, 2013
5656 posts
596 upvotes
As the OP said, people will be on edge for awhile, but I predict that within 2 to 3 years the world on the whole will get back to the way it was before the pandemic. However, I can see the following happening:

- More pressure put on the rest of the world by China to close their wet markets/illegal trade in wildlife. I think China will comply as much as it is able to - the government might not be able to 100% of the illegal trade.
- More contingency plans in place to contain infectious diseases. I think most people in the world will understand that another one will happen someday.
- More funds to conduct research on infectious diseases. We are now more acutely aware of the potential economic damage which could result, so it justifies spending more money in prevention of these diseases.
- A greater awareness of the how interconnected the world economy is, so more contingency plans on how to deal with supply chain disruptions - not just caused by a pandemic, but also war, revolution, natural causes, etc.
Deal Addict
Aug 21, 2007
4878 posts
457 upvotes
gave up on rfd for g…
It wont. People will still live on the financial brink with no savings or emergency funds and borrow up the wazoo and go to work sick and complain about government going into debt to bail them out.
Left rfd
Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8159 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
mkjr wrote: It wont. People will still live on the financial brink with no savings or emergency funds and borrow up the wazoo and go to work sick and complain about government going into debt to bail them out.
More this!

Majority of society is "all about me", and attitudes like that never change, even with something as big as this.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
13069 posts
1897 upvotes
Toronto
More racism that's for sure..

I'm not chinese, but when I was driving to work the other day, this man in a pickup truck gave me a dirty look and stared at me with his windows rolled down as he slowly passed me at the stop sign. Asians are definitely having a hard time right now and maybe for the foreseeable future.
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
13412 posts
8371 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
What are you?
trixstar wrote: More racism that's for sure..

I'm not chinese, but when I was driving to work the other day, this man in a pickup truck gave me a dirty look and stared at me with his windows rolled down as he slowly passed me at the stop sign. Asians are definitely having a hard time right now and maybe for the foreseeable future.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 24, 2002
5834 posts
992 upvotes
my predictions
- World will look again at China as a "partner" ..USA will lead that charge
- WFH will be the new norm for many many people
- Web conferencing will be more widespread - less business flight
- E learning for schools will take off
- Taxes will go up !! ( we are going to build up so much debt now)
http://www.heatware.com/eval.php?id=14378
Ole Gunnar IN!!!!
I promise not to cut your taxes but I won't raise them either.
Mar 1, 2020
325 posts
130 upvotes
GTA West
Lower standard of living... For every country... Why? How?
A) unemployment - less $
B) stk mkt downdraft - less $ esp the rich/pension plans
C) structural adjustments - JIT no more for health supplies as reaction / knee jerk to what happened, etc
D) PROTECTIONISM - to each his own, every country for himself... Poorer nations will obviously suffer more...
You get the drift.... :)
Deal Addict
Dec 29, 2012
1904 posts
461 upvotes
In Hiding
The rich will profit from manufacturing of military and healthcare equipment.
The middle class will become the lower income class and there will be a big divide between the rich and poor.
Access to medicines and government services will be linked to a microchip in your body.
Fiat currency will disappear.
Vaccines will be mandatory.
Martial law can be invoked overnight.
Euthanasia will be legal for all non productive eaters.
EMP will cause 3-4 months power outage and many will die of disease.

This won't happen tomorrow but will if the pandemic worsens.