Off Topic

How do you think COVID-19 will change the world when this is all over?

Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
8824 posts
1891 upvotes
London
BeapChastard wrote: After this is over, the rest of the world will sue the crap out of china:

https://eutoday.net/news/politics/2020/covid19-china2
Cooperate greed, feeding a Tiger cubs and now it is going to bite your head off. How can anyone trust a communist regime, hope after this is over, people will learn especially those greedy cooperate ceo.

By the way, sign this if you agree https://www.change.org/p/united-nations ... cover_feed
Deal Addict
Oct 2, 2009
1208 posts
192 upvotes
apvm wrote: Cooperate greed, feeding a Tiger cubs and now it is going to bite your head off. How can anyone trust a communist regime, hope after this is over, people will learn especially those greedy cooperate ceo.

By the way, sign this if you agree https://www.change.org/p/united-nations ... cover_feed
Change.org is sadly one of greedy ones. Some of this shit is so ridiculous, sounds all great but it is profit driven cycle.

Everyone wants to climb the ladder and the society we live in is such a sham that the numbers are just pulled mostly out of an arse...to cook up a dish.

Look around, mass production, mass consumption, mass waste, mass profits ( forecasts)....

There is guy that always kept telling me how much money he is making in the stock market, and now days all he says to me is how much he’s lost....really how the heck do u lose money you never had...., and that is what sadly has become a shit show of numbers. Its really a system that keeps taking from you but can also screw you at the same time because we have all became pawns in the name of greed and wealth...

These corporations pull numbers out of their arses as well by forecasting massive sales, and when they don’t reach them, they count them as their loss. WTF...are they really losing money, or just making less profits. We need to stop feeding these piglets with our sweat and hard work and stop them from throwing numbers from their arses..

The world doesn’t need so much but yet they want to keep producing more, wasting more, push for more... and then the numbers are just that...

People need to stop this train before it wrecks.., but we all need to change our habits for the betterment of the future of our society and mankind...

We all need to demand better...and become better humans and really lets not lose our ways.

Thanks
$52.xx all in..
Oct 9, 2018
5 posts
there was a simmilar topic on nordvpns subreddit if I'm not mistaken, and there was a few guys that were talking about this. The view was, that there will be an industrial revolution, that will froce more than half of the IT industry to work from home. Up until now, we were forced this idea that people can't do that because "the efficiency and productivity will plumet" and here we are, companies that work 100% from home, are showing quite the opposite, not sure how much of it is true, but looking at the place where I'm working, we fit in that number, we have an increase of productivity that we have never seen before
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2010
2793 posts
549 upvotes
Kagaaruk, NU
Behaviour wise, I don't think people are going to change once this is over.

I've seen way too many people go through hard times (health, finances, etc), and once they're in the clear, all it takes is a few months for them to get complacent again and forget about what they went through. It's human nature, and I'm guilty of it as well.

It'll be up to the law makers to make any permanent changes if necessary.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10604 posts
1799 upvotes
Toronto
Pensioner wrote: All the employers who think " you will be back in the office in no time" Yeah right, the employees have the power now. WFH for everyone
At first we thought we had the power.

For me I have to go to work, I work in essential services and have been working 6 days on, 1 off for the last 5-6 weeks.

Sure, I can say I don't feel safe going to work anymore and take off as much time as I want (theoretically speaking).

However, unlike everyone who thinks they'll get EI, the truth is that you won't.

You have to either test positive or be in close contact with someone who has tested positive. There are other circumstances such as if you live with elderly/senior people, have pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma, etc but my point remains the same.

Where we have the power is really in the fact that companies can't legally do anything about it if you don't want to go in. But trust me, when this all starts coming to an end I can 100% guarantee you we will see Layoffs and mass firings under different reasons and conditions as a middle finger back at those who played the game.

I can also guarantee you the government won't do a single thing about it either.

I suck it up and do my 6 days on, mainly because I'm very thankful I still have a job and am getting paid regularly. If rather not ride EI especially when there's no forms of entertainment anywhere open at the moment.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3295 upvotes
lecale wrote: No one sees below the waist anymore, so men will relax in shirt, tie, and underwear on camera, and this trend will bring longer shirts until men are wearing dresses.
It is true.

Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
cristianosham wrote: Making surgical masks is similar to making sanitary napkins. You got rolls of material that flies down a conveyor and the machine cuts, layers, and folds them. Just need an operator to attach the bands.
Spinner wrote: An operator isn't needed to attach the earloops. That part is fully automated.
king_george wrote: The only way manufacturing is coming back to Canada is with mostly automation. Assembly line workers are becoming redundant and too expensive. Our heavy industry will continue to leave simply because it's easier to pay lower wages and very few benefits and the shareholders demand profits over all else. Any hope that the well paid manual labour jobs returning is simply wishful thinking and no government can do anything about it.
maple1 wrote: This is true. As much I would like to have a manufacturing base in Canada to build and maintain a middle class, the boat has sailed. Automation is driving manufacturing forward. Even in Asia, usage is high and increasing: https://internetofbusiness.com/industri ... al-report/
Here is Canada we are already big users of automation:
https://www.therobotreport.com/10-autom ... the-world/
Reality is everything is about managing costs regardless of where in the world. This is especially true for higher value items or those that require high capital investment.
divx wrote: Then bring back manufacturing with automation, at least we will have production locally.
king_george wrote: It's all about cost control. If a company can manufacture in a country and not pay livable wages, worry about environmental, safety rules, unions and workers health, it will never come back. If automation can keep costs that low here then it's a viable option. It's all about keeping shareholders happy, nothing else matters.
Spinner wrote: Indeed. Some people are so out of touch with what's happening in the world. If anything, automation and AI is more widely used in China than most places in the world.
gizmo8 wrote: Automation is taking jobs from Canadians people not foreign workers.There are many jobs Canadians wont do.Its lower min wage jobs.You people think if manufacturing comes back to Canada companies going to pay the workers $20 an hour sewing Abercombie T shirts and our lifestyle be so much better?.No they are going to getting $15 an hour in barely legal sweatshop conditions.Have you notice Tim Hortons staff is mostly minorities,most are from overseas on work visas because Tim Hortons cannot find Canadians to do these jobs.This applies to all aspects of jobs Canadians wont do.Cry me river about manufacturing jobs,most will be low paying positions which Canada has plenty of..Ask any employer the number one problem holding them back from expansion is finding qualifed workers.Seems too many Canadians have too many useless degrees instead of a much needed trades degree.
https://www.huffingtonpost.ca/news/tim- ... oW4D311Xo7
https://www.theguardian.com/commentisfr ... hochschild
https://www.narcity.com/news/ca/qc-en/t ... -locations
kevindurant1 wrote: There are jobs that are being taken by Non-Canadians. Trucking is just one example. But most low income jobs aren't the kind of jobs that Canadians would do. TFW's are needed in farms. Timmies. Fast Food. There is an answer though. UBI and higher minimum wage all across the country. It is a pipe dream for now because greedy corporations have their hands in our government.
cybercavalier wrote: Making mask is one thing. As you make your scope of manufacturing of PPE to of all, may I know what your ideas about domestic manufacturing of any in this nation? For my part, I am getting busy in real life so I am backing off from this discussion.
elephantrider wrote: I'm not for it or against it, but has to have realistic expectations. I think it will only be done by products which are highly automated will be made here. Like I've said, I've been to factories that cut down their employees by 98%, it's crazy when you walk into a 200,000 square foot facility and it only has 10 employees and there are robots all around. Exception are unionized (pretty much only automotive industry) or highly government subsidized. For the rest of the products the reason it went to China in the first place is because of cheap labor. Now China labor is too expensive and their country isn't even as interested in cheap labor as much. Our sourcing have moved onto other countries over a decade ago Thailand, Vietnam, Cambodia, Bangladesh and somewhat India. There are 200+ countries, and for most products it will go to all the cheaper labor countries first before it will come back to Canada and that is due to economics. There are literally over 100+ countries that will get these manufacturing jobs before it comes back home. Canada Goose is an anomoly, as people are willing to pay a premium for a Canadian made product from all over the world. There are a few other examples too I'm sure. Personally, I would say learn a new skill if you want a good living wage. Go into IT, construction, teaching, nursing, warehousing, logistics, automotive for now, etc as there are lots of great jobs that pay really really well out there. F%^$ these manufacturing jobs and move forward, that's why our eyes are in front of our eyes.
Karma2000 wrote: I think this will bring some transition to how we interact with each other. Most of our habits and human evolving happens when we face adverse conditions. At the same time, while I went for a stroll yesterday to pick coffee to the nearest- "to go" only -cafe now, the doors were closed (in addition to no sitting). People were walking to the drive thru window to place order or pick up online orders. I did the same, and wondered isn't that the direction we all were heading into anyways - with all the automation, AI, GPS, Tap n go, Sensors and everything around us? Evolving so fast and removing most of our interaction as humans in the name of convenience or immediate satisfaction. We were already loosing the capability of social interaction, gathering and sense of community belonging....and now it's more prevalent....from remote work to social distancing. Might as well be the norm. This is an eye opener and at the same time, it's to the benefit of technology that we have a lot of business still open and delivery of essential services. Funny experience- Went for grocery shopping yesterday and as soon I returned my shopping cart, another person was taking one, They noticeably hesitated, kicked it aside with their feet and picked the very next one-which was obviously returned by someone, just seconds before us.
The Pandemic Is Propelling a New Wave of Automation
Software programs adopted during the Covid-19 crisis make it easier to complete forms and track requests. It saves work, but could cost jobs. Will Knight Business 06.12.2020 07:00 AM
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Oct 31, 2012
597 posts
26 upvotes
SCARBOROUGH
Some factories will come back from overseas and be mostly automated. Who wants to hire and pay employee's, while they take sick leave, even factoring in the government wage subsidy?
The rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer. Same old story unfortunately.
Black lives matter!
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
18432 posts
5295 upvotes
Wow! All this automation talk sounds like a scenario out of the old Judge Dredd comic where the robots do the hiring for work and tell humans they are too inefficient to work anymore, leading to 95% unemployment in that future world...
May 31, 2008
978 posts
483 upvotes
Toronto
I dont know about changing the world, but I do think that the high debt levels that the Government will carry will enable higher taxes to pay it down.
Given that, I expect the standard of living to decline, and the cost of living to go up, with reduced Government services (austerity measures).

I dont see much change in the workplace.

I think its key to remember that there have been pandemics in the past- people still went on cruises, stadiums, concerts once it passed.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
my opinion is different.
I think we will (eventually) say massive cost of living increases, high inflation and taxes and massive unemployment across all sectors.
healthcare will be the last category to see that.
And then wars due to geopolitics and endgame.
This whole dreamlife is over. Better get used to new realities
Once CERB and all those goodies are ended, thats when it will start. Employers will seek any/all/even stupid reasoning to use to let employees go. Watch for changes in policies etc pointing to it
This bubble life as we knew it was not sustainable, and it has burst thanks to covid
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
6759 posts
1248 upvotes
Scarborough
China has already advanced further and going further and gonna choke the “chickens neck” .
Several indian states on other side, as well as old allies of india have turned against it, and siding with china now
Lets see coming days bring more captured territory. However their media won’t show true losses to their people(indian media) they pretend nothing happened
Mar 6, 2015
681 posts
50 upvotes
FYI,
Stratfor explains Canada's primary geographic challenge of unifying its dispersed population across its vast territory.
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Jun 4, 2013
442 posts
195 upvotes
Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote: At first we thought we had the power.

For me I have to go to work, I work in essential services and have been working 6 days on, 1 off for the last 5-6 weeks.

Sure, I can say I don't feel safe going to work anymore and take off as much time as I want (theoretically speaking).

However, unlike everyone who thinks they'll get EI, the truth is that you won't.

You have to either test positive or be in close contact with someone who has tested positive. There are other circumstances such as if you live with elderly/senior people, have pre-existing medical conditions such as asthma, etc but my point remains the same.

Where we have the power is really in the fact that companies can't legally do anything about it if you don't want to go in. But trust me, when this all starts coming to an end I can 100% guarantee you we will see Layoffs and mass firings under different reasons and conditions as a middle finger back at those who played the game.

I can also guarantee you the government won't do a single thing about it either.

I suck it up and do my 6 days on, mainly because I'm very thankful I still have a job and am getting paid regularly. If rather not ride EI especially when there's no forms of entertainment anywhere open at the moment.
WFM but been doing OT everyday and getting OT pay. I do feel like a sucker sometimes though seeing people on CERB, not paying rent(due to gov restricting eviction), while I have to foot the bill with higher tax.
Once Cerb runs out and these people are getting evicted I will see who is laughing now.