Off Topic

How do you think COVID-19 will change the world when this is all over?

Deal Fanatic
Apr 11, 2006
8162 posts
2852 upvotes
Mississauga
lecale wrote: Hey, buddy, I grew up in Caledon. I had my own pony. Did you have a pony?

Sounds like no. Don't be jealous though because they are not a good time. When I was in my teens I liked to read a lot and I signed up to teach illiterate adults how to read because THAT was fun. I found that myself. No one even gave me a hint.

You are honestly going to cry to me about OT and job interviews and shitty seasonal retail jobs?? This is the greatest hardship you ever faced that you can lay out for me?

If a labourer takes a shitty job with a company that is dodgy on health and safety because there is no other choice available to them, they are agreeing to accept the risk of being killed or maimed, often for minimum wage. How's the Christmas rush at Indigo. Is it that tough?

Do you know there is an entire class of labourers using opioids every day to get by the pain of repetitive stress and other injuries, or using amphetamines to provide the alertness required for something incredibly boring and incredibly dangerous at the same time? These guys are ok as long as they limit themselves to using drugs on workdays, but if they party on the weekend with the same stuff they can fall into tolerance and addiction. Ever chase your spouse around town while they were on a 3 week crack cocaine bender, just trying to make sure they don't get killed or kill someone else? I mean God's love, keep them away from the cops or they might end up shot dead. Of course you have all your family and friends in on this too, trying to get a handle on an activated, agitated, paranoid, violent person that also happens to be your best buddy and true love, they are just not themselves this month. As soon as you figure out where he's getting the drugs from you will sic the cops on that person, but right now you don't know and someone keeps feeding the crisis. I have seen this play out. Have you had tough times like this? These are not gangsters and partiers, they are good solid blue-collar small-town old stock Canadians that fell into a trap that a lot of people have fallen into in these times.

37.5 hours. Crack cocaine binges are 24 hours x 7 days x as long as they are strung along by someone who puts money before community. Let's call it one 500 hour long day, because the guy never takes a break. You think you had a hard week. This guy had a hard week. All of his family and friends had a hard week. You didn't even know about it.

There are actually people counting on me to tell people their story now. They want people to know. They want you to know.

I am anti-envy. All of our furniture is made from solid wood furniture that was thrown on the street on garbage day. We took it apart and rebuilt to purpose. I donate as much as possible so I am not drowning in junk. I read a book, I give it away. I upgrade my computer, I pluck someone off the street and hand them specifications and teach them what they've got and tell them to go out there and make some money if they can off it, or at least find the thing a good home. It's worked out better than donating to Value Village. I ordinarily do not take a cut. I call people to pick up my leftovers the second I am tired of them so somebody eats them and they do not go to waste. People are stuck on cashflow but I am all about junkflow, baby. Get this shit out of here. I don't want to be one of those guys with a garage full of plastic bins full of stuff I never look at and a green bin loaded to the tits.

Start here, people: https://www.amazon.ca/Life-Changing-Mag ... 1607747308

I rejected the pursuit of money. I do not want retail, I want culture.

Retail is when you buy your kid a slot racecar track and he is sick of it in a week and you buy him a model and it's pure ennui and you give him a wood burning kit and it's new, new, new!! And none of it captures the kid's attention.

Pop culture is when the kid gets all those things, but a little used and battered, and soon enough he is using the wood burring tool to melt and remodel his slot cars, the model kit paints to paint them, and the kid is engaged and making things week after week.

People are too stuck on the thrill of clicking the "buy now" button because shopping is really and truly a dopamine booster. It's the same as a little shot of cocaine. They both boost dopamine. They thrill us. That is what money can do for you - it can give you the thrill of the buy.

You do not have to have money to have a very rich culture and culture is what makes us life and thrive.

People have to break out of the money cult. Can you see where I am coming from?
And don't talk to me about labourer jobs and danger. My parents worked minimum wage labour jobs as new immigrants, meat factory, manufacturing heavy lifting, sewing, all of it. Workplace safety wasn't even a thing back in the day. High stress pressures of putting food on the table for five kids in tow. Yet they made it work, and didn't get all drugged up. People make their own choices, it's unfortunate that sometimes they are bad choices, but they get what they get as a result of the choice they made.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
kenchau wrote: Nobody is crying. But you seem to be crying.

Funny how you talk about upgrading and getting rid of stuff, junkflow as you say. Seems like you buy a lot to give a lot.

Try buying less and giving money instead of your used crap because you keep upgrading.

I don't see where you're coming from because i don't buy new stuff to have to constantly give away used stuff. I prefer to give more in money and volunteer instead.
Everyone needs new technology from time to time and my computer is an essential tool and I have a nice one. when I keep it up to date I give away my old parts.

All of my purchases are consumables: food, household supplies, health & beauty items, clothing. I also buy new kitchenware from time to time when I need specific tools because I cook a lot. I do a lot of research on pop culture and food culture and that is part of it. I try a lot of recipes out. I do not have any sports equipment, formal wear, (even once) new furniture, collectables, jewelry, media collections like books or dvds, appliances, patio furniture, bbqs, whatever people collect.

I only have a livingroom that is set up like an office with a couple couches, a fully equipped kitchen that lets me fully do my stuff, and there are two bedrooms for my buddy and I to store ourselves in at night.

The junkflow is from connections to the scrapper/trader community. These people pick up anything of value and move it. They either trade it or they cash it out: they deliver it to someone and they are paid for the favour. They move everything, from appliances and furniture, electronics, bags of clothing, outdoor stuff, scrap metals, carboard, packaging with deposits, anything of value that can be upcycled. During COVID they passed masks, single rolls of toilet paper through the community. They shift the excess around to people who need it.

I needed a new coffee table and one was found. I decided I needed something bigger and the old one went away and a bigger one happened. That's the junkflow. Things are passing around between people and you pick out stuff that suits your needs and when it doesn't you pass it on. If I stored the other two coffee tables I would choke myself out of my own place so I have to keep junk flowing. You can always get new stuff, just it's used, it might take a bit for someone to dig something up, but it's the specs you need. Most of the people that are shuffling this stuff around are functionally illiterate. They know everything that goes on in town because they are out there visiting everybody.

People with more money are inclined to store stuff (and then nobody is using it) or they will throw it out without trying to find it a new home or recognizing it has continued value. The scrappers are out with their trucks all the time picking things up off teh streets to save it from the dumps. It costs the city money to dump trash so they are saving taxpayers money too by pulling things from the garbage and back into the economy.

It's a modern day rag trade I guess. I have got some neat stuff. I asked for a coat rack and a guy turned up with an antique solid walnut one and he wanted $20. If I want to change my decor I can send it back into the junkstream. My neighbours were looking for a new couch set and someone found a nice one for them right away. Over the next four months they had 3 more sets come at them. They ended up with black leather and they just passed everything else on. The same with their tv. Everyone was upgrading their tvs and they went through a few because better ones kept popping up.

If you are willing to trade junk you don't have to pay cash for any of this. You just have to keep the junk moving or it will crush you like a hoarder. You really have to be able to let go.

I have some fun stuff I like here now so I am not looking for anything at the moment and I am more in sending mode.

We have a seal here in the community. A seal is someone who lies on their back and goes "ARR ARR ARR!!!" and claps their fins. This is someone who is helpless and dependant on others. They have no income from any source, they have some kind of issue that keeps them from working, and they have to either apply for social assistance or find a hustle or a job and everyone in the community waits for them to sort this out but supports them until they do.

The seal is at the very bottom end of the food chain so they only get the bare basics and all the food no one else wants to eat. This is how the seal gets fed.

I have a 15 lb brisket that I am going to brine and make a few styles of corned beef. I am going to send some of that into the junkflow. Next guy that gets it willl eat that, pass on some canned corn beef to the seal's roommate because he doesn't need that now. The seal's roommate will eat the canned corn beef and pass on some Knorr Sidekicks (which is about as low as you can go on the food chain) to the seal. Everybody is eating the best stuff available and shifting all the crap food down to the person at the bottom.

I now have a general credit with 3 people who will send junk back my way.

It is not tit-for-tat. Everybody gets what they need and people who are more active in the community and are more able to generate a junkflow do better. If you want to be a seal you are not going to get much out of it. For the people who do get access to a lot of stuff, the trick is to keep it moving. As soon as you start collecting stuff the wheels fall off.

Imagine what life would be like if the middle class could shift their junk around like that. You're a student, you don't need anything, you don't have to collect possessions. You probably have time and energy to move stuff though. As a family, you are seeking stuff. You are churning through stuff as your kids needs change. You have a different relationship to the scrappers in different phases of your life. Sometimes you are pushing stuff and sometimes you are calling for it. You don't call a moving truck, you just call the scrappers. Your new house is different and the stuff from your tiny apartment is no longer appropriate.

Anyway, this is working for me. It has been fun.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10635 posts
1821 upvotes
Toronto
sponge5307 wrote: WFM but been doing OT everyday and getting OT pay. I do feel like a sucker sometimes though seeing people on CERB, not paying rent(due to gov restricting eviction), while I have to foot the bill with higher tax.
Once Cerb runs out and these people are getting evicted I will see who is laughing now.
Wait I thought landlords could evict for non payment starting August 1st? Or was that scrapped?

I can only imagine now that I'll be forced back to the 6 day weeks soon.

As for CERB ending I can bet about 40% of the people using it still don't realize how much tax they will owe come tax time. Then they're screwed.
Deal Fanatic
May 22, 2003
5092 posts
2308 upvotes
Vancouver
lecale wrote:
I rejected the pursuit of money. I do not want retail, I want culture.

You do not have to have money to have a very rich culture and culture is what makes us life and thrive.

People have to break out of the money cult. Can you see where I am coming from?

Last year I made $13k. I have been living on that or less for 14 years.
If everybody was busted down to $13k a year and money could not be a measure of success, how would you measure these people against each other? I mean, apart from money, how are we different? I think a lot of people who spend their lives chasing after money are empty and resentful and easily threatened. They haven't done anything to build their knowledge of things outside the box to box lifestyle (house to office) and they really haven't developed their personalities and characters fully. They are greedy and suspicious because they know without money they are nothing special even if money makes them a success today. They know the truth. That's the grievance.
So if everybody thought like you and eschewed making money to enhance culture...the government would have zero revenue from taxes...you're expecting others to bust their ass and subsidize your own choice in living a "cultured" life making no money? Your $13k in income means you pretty much paid no tax, so you contributed no money to the running of public services. You complain about people buying retail things, well at least they're paying tax on those items and creating jobs! Also, many "cultured" organizations and charities (e.g museums, fine arts, etc.) are heavily funded by donations from wealthy patrons. I can sympathize with those who are unable to work due to a disability or have lost their jobs due to Covid-19, but it seems you live your life by choice. BTW, your long spiel about helping other people giving you fulfillment - it's called volunteering. A lot of of people who work full time jobs do that as well...

edit: to be clear, I am not in the top 1%, but I can never understand why people think the solution to all the world's problems is to tax the rich more...
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2008
8949 posts
3296 upvotes
notenoughsleep wrote: So if everybody thought like you and eschewed making money to enhance culture...the government would have zero revenue from taxes...you're expecting others to bust their ass and subsidize your own choice in living a "cultured" life making no money? Your $13k in income means you pretty much paid no tax, so you contributed no money to the running of public services. You complain about people buying retail things, well at least they're paying tax on those items and creating jobs! Also, many "cultured" organizations and charities (e.g museums, fine arts, etc.) are heavily funded by donations from wealthy patrons. I can sympathize with those who are unable to work due to a disability or have lost their jobs due to Covid-19, but it seems you live your life by choice. BTW, your long spiel about helping other people giving you fulfillment - it's called volunteering. A lot of of people who work full time jobs do that as well...

edit: to be clear, I am not in the top 1%, but I can never understand why people think the solution to all the world's problems is to tax the rich more...
Yes, exactly, we are both trying to map how things work now. We can only do that if we share our data. The only way I can have data about being poor is to be poor and document myself. No poor person is going to lay bare all of their personal data from all channels to me. I can only examine myself unless I convince some poor person to sign a power of attorney so I can get into their everything (and it will still be a huge hassle to get at their data). That is why it has to be this way.

I had chronic pain for almost a decade and this is like having a fire alarm going off in your head while you are trying to multitask life. I couldn't concentrate enough to do a lot of things but I could still do data entry so I just collected data. I also sold my data to whoever would have it.

There is all kinds of shrieking about data privacy going on but out privacy was lost on October 13, 1994 when Mosaic introduced the cookie. People were outraged until you pointed out that it was possible to do absolutely nothing without them. You don't want us to use cookies, fine, the internet will be a hyperlinked text document. You let us use cookies, we will have stores and auctions and exchanges. People got over the cookie thing.

Now people don't collect or monitor their own data and they have no idea of what companies have on them but they are shrieking louder. The horse got out of the barn 26 years ago, it can't hear you and doesn't care. Personally I am a data wh*re and will sell my data for any kind of tender. I want to know what companies are willing to pay money for. I know they can eventually buy my data from some aggregator. I would rather have them pay me.

If you enter the social services system you have to sign a pile of legal documents that allows the government to pull together everything they have got on you in a bunch of different databases, like all of your social services files, all of your health records, all of your tax records, and so on. the government also taps into some other things, e.g., they track alcohol consumption using Air Miles data. They also paid me Air Miles to allow my health records to be used in a study, and there were Air Miles for donating blood to the study. Air Miles is plugged into Empire (grocery retailer) so it is conceivable Air Miles links could string together someone's health records, LCBO receipts, and nutrition (grocery store receipts). When you follow someone across several databases this is called data mining. That is what people are doing when they "dox" people online. Doxxing is when you go get the dirt out of every database on someone and put it all together. Can people affect or modify your behaviour and opportunities if they dox you? Ask the internet.

I am just curious how the government could have access to so much fascinating information and still get everything wrong. (They cannot link your data in different databases unless you give them permission.)

I am doing better now but I am sitting on a ball of data and I now understand what is in the government databases and how the algorithms work and what the next outcome is. People talk about this too. It's called systemic discrimination. It's a game, many people lose, some people learn how to play it really well. Our whole society from the S&P 500 to PC Optimum loyalty points is gamified now. (And we don't need the government to design online courses for kids, they need to design complex games that allow kids to playfully explore concepts.)

To pay things back I want to open a discussion about our government IT. Obviously Trudeau understands the value of data over all things or we would not have had the WE scandal. That was about the Liberals trying to scoop the personal details of an entire generation, all the school kids. The biggest challenge marketers face is that so many of the people they want to reach are "undefined." They know there is a person (census) but they don't know names, ages, addresses, even whether they buy the product or not. Running the volunteerism program through WE would have meant that WE got a huge tranche of data from the Canadian government databases. This is high quality, verified, standardized, complete data and why they would want to do something like this. Everybody knows Bezos won because he was the first one to start working with the cleanest, most complete data available at the time, the ISBN book catalogue.

So you think Trudeau would be able to make some intelligent decisions about data but then he brought Bill C-16 into law. In real life we have 3 sexes (male, female, undefined) and three genders (male, female, undefined) and that gives us 9 kinds of people. Trudeau grants that there are 9 kinds of people but he wants to force them into one of two buckets in the database, M or F. This is creating social turmoil because it is entirely illogical and idiots are willing to test the new law by creating extreme situations that we obviously did not intend to protect under the Canadian Charter of Rights and Freedoms, like the right for a biological male to demand a gynecological exam because he says he is a woman.

To save us from ourselves we must update our databases. We cannot stick with a sex field that allows a single ASCII character "M" or "F" because that is too polarizing. We have many nuances in our society. We need a matrix, but we can code the matrix as a 2-character ASCII text field that provides both a person's sex and gender and folds in an option for "we're not quite sure yet."

SEXGENDERMATRIX.jpg

Once we have both sex and gender in the databases then we can write complex business logic that makes sure a transgender man still gets Pap smear reminders along with all other biological women and a transgender woman does not get one because she does not have a cervix. Right now they are conflating sex and gender and it is only causing discord and human rights violations and surely that was not the intent of Bill C-16.

This is the kind of things I want to write about but all the journalists are making big coin reporting on the latest stupidity out of Trump and no one wants to talk about databases and algorithms. I look at the jokes guys like Elon Musk is telling online and it's simply because the media cannot comprehend these things. They are all arts types and they have no background in math and IT.

This is not a discussion for IT professionals, this is a discussion for everybody. We are all deeply affected by all of this.

It is very important to get IT right in government because systems lock people into certain behaviours and certain outcomes. You have questions about who is putting into the system and who is drawing out of it. Me too. I am totally curious about how this works. I want to talk to people about it because we have problems and if we can just nail down what our existing system actually does, we can update it to make it do things we want to do instead of system-generating random insults to Canadians that turn to the system and frustrating those Canadians that have to pay for it.

I have a background in testing too and got to rub up against some very smart people who discussed testing strategies. They suggested if you are going to make things fail, make them fail big and have lots of witnesses. E.g., don't invite just 2 ex-girlfriends to your party, invite 5 plus your mom. That's when all truth is revealed. This is what we need to make happen. This is what we need to see and learn from.

If somebody from somewhere else comes here and becomes a citizen, the Canadian government lays it all out for them. The government says you have rights but also responsibilities that arise out of citizenship. Here are two particular responsibilities:

  • Taking responsibility for oneself and one’s family — Getting a job, taking care of one’s family and working hard in keeping with one’s abilities are important Canadian values. Work contributes to personal dignity and self-respect, and to Canada’s prosperity.
  • Helping others in the community — Millions of volunteers freely donate their time to help others without pay—helping people in need, assisting at your child’s school, volunteering at a food bank or other charity, or encouraging newcomers to integrate. Volunteering is an excellent way to gain useful skills and develop friends and contacts.

This is what we expect of Canadians. Work and volunteer. We do not honestly want people that do nothing but work or nothing but volunteer. Right now I am on team volunteer because a minimum wage job would take too much time away from research and you better believe I am a minimum wage worker in our society. I spent a lot of time doing short gigs across a range of industries and in government. I have spent 27 years online writing about pop culture, first on USENET then the internet. My first thing is pop culture and food is our first culture. I was following a literature/journalism path in school when someone showed me that they had figured out how to get text and an image in the same browser window, all on the same page, and I thought wow, this internet thing is really going to be a thing. I must tell everyone. The thing was the internet wasn't open to the public, it was a gated community for rich white bastards. They opened the gates a year later, a small number of uncouth people turned up, the fancy types were mad, and I couldn't understand why there weren't more people. It was 1994.

I would tell people to get online and they were highly skeptical. "What is it good for?" they would ask. "Business," I would say, but I should have just told them the truth (it is for f ing around).

One of the things I did from 1993 to 1999 was rewrite the narrative around a drink called Kool-Aid. I spent a lot of time on the alt groups in USENET which were all hobby and pop culture groups. There were some relatives of the inventor of Kool-Aid rooting around looking for info on the brand. It had a tainted name. On November 18, 1978, a white man named Jim Jones massacred over 900 people including 700 blacks and 300 children. People said that they "drank the Kool-Aid" because Jones had at first tried to get his followers to drink cyanide laced punch and only started murdering them when they refused to peacefully commit suicide. In the press at the time, if you were willing to "drink the Kool-Aid," they mean you are willing to commit suicide. In reality 918 people fell victim to a psychopath. Jones had a raging methamphetamine addiction. We blew the whole thing off and stuck to the happy side of the story.

(Some people say "it wasn't Kool-Aid it was Flavor Aid" but that is a cruel joke: Kool-Aid is a premium brand for white people and Flavor Aid is was cheaper. Get it? Black people can only afford Flavor Aid so it must not have been Kool-Aid ha ha ha this is a white person joke so not everyone gets it. The mainstream media will still publish as truth it though. By whites for whites.)

By 1998, according to the press, "drinking the Kool-Aid" meant to go all in on a crazy idea like the internet. There were 1/2 dozen of us that rewrote the narrative. We did an informal Kool-Aid project together. No leader, no follower, just everyone pitching in facts, factoids and images and assembling a FAQ. The FAQ was the definitive resource on Kool-Aid now and it blew off the whole Jonestown massacre thing (incidentally, November 18 is my birthday). The media called us because we were the ones that knew. We were the experts in the field.

This is how you get to be an expert - you get there first. It is a dangerous power.

I worked in the web industry doing the dotcom boom and I had never built a webpage before so I did one on Kool-Aid. I was in.

People could send me email and black people did. They pointed out that when white people gave up the brand because they couldn't reasonably eyeball a full cup of white sugar and say that looks about right, I will serve this to my kids ... black kids were growing up pouring the stuff on their cereal because the family could not afford milk. And there was more to it, I was basically rolling the blacks if I didn't add their perspective but I was busy working so I did not do that, I just took it down.

Black people were just telling me their bittersweet memories about the drink. Water, the most basic thing. Sugar, the only thing that makes it good but exactly what makes it bad. A packet of Kool-Aid which is powdered white supremacy and the white people were telling them "if you mix it with tears, it's just like Gatorade."

So I figured the universe would right itself but now "drink the Kool-Aid" has become a race thing and I have skin in this, I sort of feel a duty to fix the defect I allowed to propagate.

Black people told me to watch the movie "Friday" with Chris Tucker, it has a bit on Kool-Aid that just says it all. Well, if you are in black culture it's funny, and then it became a job to understand more of their culture instead of personally serving up all the white stuff.

We all have to come together and find a path forward. The first thing we need to do is share our secrets which is our data.
Member
Jun 4, 2013
472 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
XtremeModder wrote: Wait I thought landlords could evict for non payment starting August 1st? Or was that scrapped?

I can only imagine now that I'll be forced back to the 6 day weeks soon.

As for CERB ending I can bet about 40% of the people using it still don't realize how much tax they will owe come tax time. Then they're screwed.
Landlord can start eviction notice for the month of Spet 01 2020 so earliest date people can actually be evicted is Oct 01 2020. But the process is going to take a long long time maybe at least a year?
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Covid-19 is a big, mass distraction. All that fretting and fearing for your life is a waste of energy. U will look back on this and wished u spent ur time more wisely, on the things that really mattered in life -- quality time with loved ones. Covid's kill rate percentage is not like that of, eg. ebola. What we have here is a warped sense of perspective.

Imagine u have a cancer diagnosis. U go to medical appointments, chemo treatments, surgeries, drug trials, etc. only to die of heart disease before ever reaching that "cancer free" verdict. If u had forseen the future, what would u have done differently?
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Addict
User avatar
Dec 12, 2005
3994 posts
253 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
The world is going to be on edge for a long long time.What would happen when the next pandemic happens.Then its all back to lock downs and lost dreams.Scary the Q Anon idiots and the fringe groups are slowly infecting the GOP party.Those expecting when a vaccine is found its back to normal again better think again.The world has changed and not for the better.I hope if Biden wins the world can heal again.If Trump wins we are truly fu*^.
Deal Guru
Apr 8, 2013
10204 posts
738 upvotes
Becks wrote: Covid-19 is a big, mass distraction. All that fretting and fearing for your life is a waste of energy. U will look back on this and wished u spent ur time more wisely, on the things that really mattered in life -- quality time with loved ones. Covid's kill rate percentage is not like that of, eg. ebola. What we have here is a warped sense of perspective.

Imagine u have a cancer diagnosis. U go to medical appointments, chemo treatments, surgeries, drug trials, etc. only to die of heart disease before ever reaching that "cancer free" verdict. If u had forseen the future, what would u have done differently?
No it is not.

Ebola is a different beast. It is much more deadlier but way less infectious.

It is not easy for Ebola to be a global issue but it only took COVID a few months.

Ebola killed 11-14k people in 2 years globally.

COVID is almost reaching 1 million deaths not even 1 year in.
Deal Addict
Feb 11, 2018
1259 posts
1069 upvotes
Becks wrote: Covid-19 is a big, mass distraction. All that fretting and fearing for your life is a waste of energy. U will look back on this and wished u spent ur time more wisely, on the things that really mattered in life -- quality time with loved ones. Covid's kill rate percentage is not like that of, eg. ebola. What we have here is a warped sense of perspective.
Covid-19 is more like a wake-up call to all those who go through life like robots. It disturbs. Moreover, most people need others to 'position' themselves in society and now they don't have that.

And to put things in perspective; I saw a commercial on TV where it said there is a suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world. That's 800,000/year. Yet it hardly makes the news.

My bet is on 2022 before things get a semblance of normal. Just hold on to your hat as we are about to ride a roller coaster.
People are fundamentally good even though they don't always act like it.
Member
Jun 4, 2013
472 posts
198 upvotes
Vancouver
gizmo8 wrote: The world is going to be on edge for a long long time.What would happen when the next pandemic happens.Then its all back to lock downs and lost dreams.Scary the Q Anon idiots and the fringe groups are slowly infecting the GOP party.Those expecting when a vaccine is found its back to normal again better think again.The world has changed and not for the better.I hope if Biden wins the world can heal again.If Trump wins we are truly fu*^.
Not even talking about the next pandemic. More like what happens when the world is being hit with 2nd, 3rd wave add flu season to the mix.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
Here r stats I took off my fridge:

Top 10 causes of death in Canada, 2015

cancer 77,054
heart disease 51,534
stroke 13,795
chronic lower respiratory diseases 12,573
accidents 11,833
influenza and pneumonia 7,630
diabetes 7,172
alzheimer's disease 6,587
suicide 4,405
liver disease 3,176

What my previous post was pointing out is that we r in big trouble with regard to (abrupt) climate change. If u r freaked out about covid, look at the recovered numbers. The real number is actually higher -- not everyone in the population has been tested.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Mar 14, 2005
13113 posts
2191 upvotes
City of Vancouver
TomLafinsky wrote: ...And to put things in perspective; I saw a commercial on TV where it said there is a suicide every 40 seconds somewhere in the world. That's 800,000/year. Yet it hardly makes the news...
Here r the BC Coroner's Service statistics on suicide 2008-2018 (pdf link) : https://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/birth ... uicide.pdf

I hope ppl here can make an extra effort to reach out, lend an ear, be more compassionate, especially to someone who falls into the higher risk category, namely, middle-aged males.
De gustibus non est disputandum
Reverse dysfunction one step at a time.
Sr. Member
Mar 6, 2015
691 posts
50 upvotes
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!😃
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2010
9246 posts
1389 upvotes
For some reason. Few people knew this will happen and is enjoying this carnage. It will get worst as people enjoy their so called personal freedoms.

Top