Entertainment

How do you watch US TV in Canada ?

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 8th, 2020 11:00 am
[OP]
Newbie
Aug 19, 2019
11 posts

How do you watch US TV in Canada ?

Hello guys,

I'd like to be able to watch The CW and ABC here in Canada but the channels are blocked there. I found this article https://the-bestvpn.com/us-tv-in-canada/ but the solution they are offering are not free. I mean I really don't want to end up paying 5$ / month just to watch 2 TV channels.

Does anyone has a solution ? Is it possible to use a free VPN to get access to US TV in Canada ?

Thank you for your help,

Math
15 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8614 posts
3053 upvotes
I get CW and 2 ( sometimes 3) different ABCs with an OTA antenna.

Maybe have a look into that in your area and see what you can pick up.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Nov 15, 2004
19233 posts
3360 upvotes
Toronto
I have an antenna as well, and I get them from Buffalo
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1860 upvotes
Victoria
Yah it gets messy. Canadian companies/channels buy up the tv/streaming rights up here. That's why most of the US streaming (Free or Paid) gets blocked up here, or most of the content gets blocked. The only workaround is a VPN or a DNS spoofing service. Antenna's work ok if you live somewhere close enough to the US to pick up channels.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
16201 posts
3566 upvotes
Toronto
IPTV is the best way to go if you want American channels without the Sim Sub.
(Sim sub is the name given by the CRTC when a Canadian channel can air over an American one...as long as the programming on both the Canadian and American channels have 95% identical programming)

IPTV eliminates the sim sub through android boxes etc.

IF you google "free iptv" you will find a bunch of ideas, but they throw their own ads in first before you can watch the channel(s) selected.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Mar 8, 2006
1196 posts
57 upvotes
Get an antenna for sure. We have one for the country home and get all the major american channels including PBS and CW for free.
Member
User avatar
Feb 20, 2015
250 posts
167 upvotes
Southern Ontario
Don't buy an antenna setup before checking if you have those particular signals in proper reception distance. If you are more than 40 miles away, unless you are going to mount something on your roof with an amplifier, don't bother with this method.

I'm 20 miles from Detroit and can't even pickup the local Fox station with an indoor antenna after my outdoor antenna crapped out.

https://skyviewelectronics.com/sites//d ... 20Area.pdf
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8614 posts
3053 upvotes
Gibsons wrote: Don't buy an antenna setup before checking if you have those particular signals in proper reception distance. If you are more than 40 miles away, unless you are going to mount something on your roof with an amplifier, don't bother with this method.

I'm 20 miles from Detroit and can't even pickup the local Fox station with an indoor antenna after my outdoor antenna crapped out.

https://skyviewelectronics.com/sites//d ... 20Area.pdf
I find it odd that of everything coming from "E" which I assume is the CN Tower. Some are my best, most constant channels and other I can barely get in.
Newbie
Feb 4, 2020
1 posts
1 upvote
Hi gang ..
I live in Montreal Canada and I have a paper thin ClearStream Eclipse amplified indoor antenna. I get 31 channels, all in 1080p high def 4K tv, almost ALL of them in the USA. I have ABC CBS NBC FOX CW MeTV Antenna Tv Court/Mystery Tv BounceTV Numerous PBS stations IONtv CircleTv MoviesNetwork StartTv plus all my Canadian channels CTV, CityTv, Global, CBC etc ALL for free via an antenna I paid $65 for. I have tried other indoor amplified antennas, this is by far the best amplified indoor antenna. Do a check to see how far away the USA antennas are away from you. As I said, I am in Montreal, all USA Antennas are in Vermont. The USA has ordered that most of their Tv channels be made available to all bcuz in many rural
Areas of the USA cable and Internet are still not available. Unlike Canada they believe that regardless of your income level, broadcasting MUST be made available to all They also recently ordered that all antenna OTA stations increase their power and area of reach. I am quite a ways away from a USA antenna and all my stations are crystal clear.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8614 posts
3053 upvotes
BoomerStrong wrote: Hi gang ..
I live in Montreal Canada and I have a paper thin ClearStream Eclipse amplified indoor antenna. I get 31 channels, all in 1080p high def 4K tv, almost ALL of them in the USA. I have ABC CBS NBC FOX CW MeTV Antenna Tv Court/Mystery Tv BounceTV Numerous PBS stations IONtv CircleTv MoviesNetwork StartTv plus all my Canadian channels CTV, CityTv, Global, CBC etc ALL for free via an antenna I paid $65 for. I have tried other indoor amplified antennas, this is by far the best amplified indoor antenna. Do a check to see how far away the USA antennas are away from you. As I said, I am in Montreal, all USA Antennas are in Vermont. The USA has ordered that most of their Tv channels be made available to all bcuz in many rural
Areas of the USA cable and Internet are still not available. Unlike Canada they believe that regardless of your income level, broadcasting MUST be made available to all They also recently ordered that all antenna OTA stations increase their power and area of reach. I am quite a ways away from a USA antenna and all my stations are crystal clear.
All the major networks ( CBC, CTV, Global, etc ) are broadcast OTA in Canada.

I believe this has partially to do with the emergency broadcast system as well. OTA TV is just another way to get an emergency broadcast out to the public.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 12, 2005
9782 posts
1860 upvotes
Victoria
Gutty96 wrote: All the major networks ( CBC, CTV, Global, etc ) are broadcast OTA in Canada.

I believe this has partially to do with the emergency broadcast system as well. OTA TV is just another way to get an emergency broadcast out to the public.
I don't think we do it as well in Canada as they do in the USA. Here in Victoria we don't get much over OTA broadcast here. CTV2 (not even the real CTV) and a local independent called Chek. Unless you get an awesome outdoor antenna and put it up really high, you don't get much :( I lived in Edmonton for a while too.. it's really sprawled out.. there were a few OTA station but they could be hard to pick up depending where you lived.

I think the US broadcasts in more cities, and I think antenna strength is stronger so the signals travel further. I don't think Canadian channels have much interest in OTA or they'd put up more transmitters. Maybe the CRTC when doing concessions to the Canadian networks could haggle in more transmitters or repeaters ;)
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2006
8614 posts
3053 upvotes
zod wrote: I don't think we do it as well in Canada as they do in the USA. Here in Victoria we don't get much over OTA broadcast here. CTV2 (not even the real CTV) and a local independent called Chek. Unless you get an awesome outdoor antenna and put it up really high, you don't get much :( I lived in Edmonton for a while too.. it's really sprawled out.. there were a few OTA station but they could be hard to pick up depending where you lived.

I think the US broadcasts in more cities, and I think antenna strength is stronger so the signals travel further. I don't think Canadian channels have much interest in OTA or they'd put up more transmitters. Maybe the CRTC when doing concessions to the Canadian networks could haggle in more transmitters or repeaters ;)
That's most likely true. I get 60+ channels OTA in good conditions / weather, but 90% or more are US channels.

Top