None
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
459 upvotes
Guelph

How does a basement window well drain?

My basement window well has been pooling up and leaking water into my basement. A quite common thing apparently from my Google searches. But what I can't find a straight answer to is how these window wells are supposed to drain? I ended up caulking around the well to where it attaches to the house as that was where water was pouring into the well from. Right now I'm working on digging up all the dirt and gravel in it and cleaning them up. I'm only down about 6" so far but am wondering how it's supposed to drain? Is it another 2' of gravel that I should be expecting? And then it just drains into dirt?

I found this:

Is this standard practice in Ontario? So the pipe may be clogged? Hopefully just the entrance. :(
16 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
25481 posts
15309 upvotes
Toronto
Yep, that picture is about right. I have a couple of window wells with weeping tile (not pvc pipe) and a gravel bed. Caulking will not really help too much because caulking cannot perform when under water. So you need to improve the drainage and around the window area. You could install the window well cover to deflect some of the water from pooling in the window well. This is a bit of a half measure though and would not substitute for proper drainage, especially when the water table rises.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 4, 2009
7698 posts
793 upvotes
North York
It is common for below ground windows have a crack in the foundation starting at one of the lower corners (especially concrete foundations). You need to bring waterproofing guys to patchup the crack and waterproof the foundation in that area.
Deal Addict
Mar 5, 2011
1161 posts
112 upvotes
Kitchener
The leader pipe in the window well can only manage so much water . Often the grading on the side or rear of the house has settled to the point that most of the water runs up against the side of the house into the window well . I would look at grading making sure the grade slopes well away from the house .
Deal Addict
Mar 24, 2008
1028 posts
78 upvotes
Etobicoke
1bagger wrote: The leader pipe in the window well can only manage so much water . Often the grading on the side or rear of the house has settled to the point that most of the water runs up against the side of the house into the window well . I would look at grading making sure the grade slopes well away from the house .
+1 on grading. If you say the water in entering the well from the sides that you chaulked, then you need to grade the areas around the well to move water away from your house.
Do you have downspouts in the area? are they directing water far enough away from the foundation?
The only place you're going to find a helping hand, is at he end of your own wrist. Joe Mondello
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
18110 posts
9167 upvotes
How old is your house? While this certainly is done in new construction there was a time when it wasn't done in the not-to-distant past (in my city at least).

For instance my house has a layer of sand all the way to the bottom.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jul 29, 2006
2212 posts
459 upvotes
Guelph
All fixed and now it drains like it's going out of style! The dirt/mud accumulation was blocking the drain pipe.

May 27, 2013
616 posts
59 upvotes
Is the pipe supposed to have gravel in it ??
Deal Addict
Sep 20, 2008
1149 posts
308 upvotes
Toronto
wantboost1 wrote: Is the pipe supposed to have gravel in it ??
Pulling up an old thread. To answer your question, the drain is supposed to be clear of debris.
Project 708
Architectural Pencil Pusher
Deal Addict
Mar 30, 2004
2542 posts
1624 upvotes
Edmonton
To avoid it happening in the future you can cover the intake with a patch of landscaping fabric, secured with a couple of zip ties.....
The bitterness of poor quality remains long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten....
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
10405 posts
3043 upvotes
Toronto
Thai wrote: My basement window well has been pooling up and leaking water into my basement. A quite common thing apparently from my Google searches. But what I can't find a straight answer to is how these window wells are supposed to drain? I ended up caulking around the well to where it attaches to the house as that was where water was pouring into the well from. Right now I'm working on digging up all the dirt and gravel in it and cleaning them up. I'm only down about 6" so far but am wondering how it's supposed to drain? Is it another 2' of gravel that I should be expecting? And then it just drains into dirt?

I found this:

Is this standard practice in Ontario? So the pipe may be clogged? Hopefully just the entrance. :(
NOT ALL WINDOW WELLS HAVE DRAINS. NOT ALL DRAINS TIE INTO THE WEEPING TILE SYSTEM!

If your window well is filling up with water and leaking into the basement, here is what I would do:

1-Confirm you have a drain in your window well. Dig through the gravel to see if you have one. You shouldn't have to dig too deep at all.
2-If you do have one, you have to check to see if it's connected to the weeping tile and/or if it's clogged. Some drains just go down a few feet to act as a buffer, so don't assume it ties to the weeping tile. I would just stick a camera snake down there to see what's happening (if you don't have one, hire a plumber to do it for).

Regardless of the above, I would take steps to keep water out of there. Odds are water is coming from above, so keep it out. Buy a window well cover and seal the window well that way (https://www.rona.ca/en/window-well-cover-4388013). Also, make sure your gutters are ok. I've seen gutters dump water directly into the window well because the slope was off. Next time it rains, go out side and find out where the water is coming from.

Anyways, hope that helps.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Fanatic
Oct 15, 2007
5299 posts
2742 upvotes
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: NOT ALL WINDOW WELLS HAVE DRAINS. NOT ALL DRAINS TIE INTO THE WEEPING TILE SYSTEM!

If your window well is filling up with water and leaking into the basement, here is what I would do:

1-Confirm you have a drain in your window well. Dig through the gravel to see if you have one. You shouldn't have to dig too deep at all.
2-If you do have one, you have to check to see if it's connected to the weeping tile and/or if it's clogged. Some drains just go down a few feet to act as a buffer, so don't assume it ties to the weeping tile. I would just stick a camera snake down there to see what's happening (if you don't have one, hire a plumber to do it for).

Regardless of the above, I would take steps to keep water out of there. Odds are water is coming from above, so keep it out. Buy a window well cover and seal the window well that way (https://www.rona.ca/en/window-well-cover-4388013). Also, make sure your gutters are ok. I've seen gutters dump water directly into the window well because the slope was off. Next time it rains, go out side and find out where the water is coming from.

Anyways, hope that helps.
I’m hoping he solved this problem within the last 6 years (you quoted a post from 2012)
Everything has been said before, but since nobody listens we have to keep going back and beginning all over again. - Andre Gide
Deal Guru
Feb 2, 2014
10405 posts
3043 upvotes
Toronto
Ugh, just saw that.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker/Owner - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
Deal Addict
May 12, 2014
3402 posts
3751 upvotes
Montreal
Red_Army wrote: I’m hoping he solved this problem within the last 6 years (you quoted a post from 2012)
But this is a common and eternal problem, so the answer may help people today and well into the future.
Jan 11, 2017
111 posts
9 upvotes
Need Help,

I submitted the basement design with the egress windows opening in the backyard, its a detached house in Brampton under 5 years old. I received the permit as well. Now, I am wondering if there will be a drain pipe to attach from the egress window well.
Any clues ?
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2010
15508 posts
10155 upvotes
Toronto
BeamerDreamer2000 wrote: Need Help,

I submitted the basement design with the egress windows opening in the backyard, its a detached house in Brampton under 5 years old. I received the permit as well. Now, I am wondering if there will be a drain pipe to attach from the egress window well.
Any clues ?
Ask your contractor.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke