• Last Updated:
  • Sep 13th, 2019 9:16 am
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1264 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…

How does this cell plan takeover work

I posted a want to buy for two lines of the 40$ 8 GB public mobile migration plan.

A couple members contacted me. Here is what they offered. This is slightly different from a plan takeover, so I thought I will ask here first.

They told me to port both my lines to koodo ( pick any available plan) , I m currently with Bell . After 10 days , they will log into my self serve account and change the plan to the 40$ 8GB .

Looks like they have someone who works at koodo.

Is a change like this possible ? I don't want to get in trouble with Koodo later down the road.
6 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 24, 2003
22154 posts
10318 upvotes
Toronto
If you want to take over a plan that is currently registered to a Koodo customer, here are the main steps:

1. have the Koodo customer call in and start the "transfer of responsibility", also known as TOR;
  2. the seller will give your name and telephone number to the koodo rep;
  3. the Koodo rep will call you to obtain the necessary information and perform a credit check if you are not a current Koodo customer;
  4. if everything is okay, the agent will change the account information to your name and you get the sim from the seller. The sim will have the seller's phone number;
  5. after the account is in your name, you need to set up your self serve koodo account using the seller's sim; and
  6. you can port in a number from another carrier, keep the number assigned to the sim, or change the sim's number to another available koodo number.

What has been proposed to you would not be a TOR from koodo's point of view and may be a hassle if you can't get the proposed plan.
Dec 4, 2017
648 posts
346 upvotes
emale wrote: After 10 days , they will log into my self serve account and change the plan to the 40$ 8GB .
Nope! @audit13 outlined the correct procedure. I would add that the supposed seller means to get direct access to your account. That's a red flag for a scam right there.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
It looks like there is some social engineering happening here. I would never give any stranger access to my cell account, not even if they promised to load $1000 and 10 free plans into it. OP, what "fee" was this person charging to do the plan change for you?
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer
Deal Addict
Apr 18, 2009
1264 posts
815 upvotes
Toronto/Plano/Atlant…
will888 wrote: OP, what "fee" was this person charging to do the plan change for you?
I posted a WTB in BST for two lines of the $40 8GB plan, offering $200 per line.
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
24666 posts
8737 upvotes
Toronto
Yeah, never give anyone access to your account.

All your personal info is there (perfect for identity theft) and they can change your pw and account PIN to lock you out from accessing.

Here is someone selling a $40/8Gb plan, albeit for $400.

koodo-40-8gb-plan-sale-2312603/

These are awesome plans, this and the $35/5Gb plan....
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29536 posts
20456 upvotes
emale wrote: I posted a WTB in BST for two lines of the $40 8GB plan, offering $200 per line.
Where were you a year ago when I had several of these lines? These days with Koodo changes, their plans aren't worth taking over at a premium.
Public Mobile customer, $34/50GB CAN-US, $29/30GB, $24/4GB
Tangerine, EQ, Simplii, HSBC customer

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)