Credit Cards

How does credit card extended warranty work?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 30th, 2020 4:35 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Penalty Box
May 15, 2016
6245 posts
2091 upvotes

How does credit card extended warranty work?

You buy something on Jan1. It ships Mar 1. You receive April 1. Does the 2nd year of extended warranty start in Jan Mar or April?
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
6729 posts
2943 upvotes
vivibaby wrote: You buy something on Jan1. It ships Mar 1. You receive April 1. Does the 2nd year of extended warranty start in Jan Mar or April?
Not only is your extended based on jan 1st - your regular warranty is also based on invoice date (Jan 1st).
Deal Addict
Apr 13, 2017
1371 posts
593 upvotes
badOne wrote: Not only is your extended based on jan 1st - your regular warranty is also based on invoice date (Jan 1st).
Invoice should be dated March 1.
Mar 1, 2020
371 posts
144 upvotes
GTA West
the better question might be: how much time does one need to spend to successfully have them pay up should this warranty be needed?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 26, 2007
5138 posts
2734 upvotes
Toronto
It should be dated when you receive your product, but sadly your original warranty starts on invoice date of Jan 1 and cc extended warranty start at end of OEM warranty period.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
34491 posts
20528 upvotes
Center of Universe
LPGA2020 wrote: the better question might be: how much time does one need to spend to successfully have them pay up should this warranty be needed?
With AMEX, it was very quick and straight forward.
Called the warranty toll free number to confirn details with a Rep, received a follow up email to send in a copy of receipt and statement and waited for approval or denial confirmation.

Those that put in frequent claims are subjected to more scrutiny according to the rep I was dealing with, ie: provide proof from manufacturer that the product is defective and not physically damaged.
Apr 25, 2011
277 posts
100 upvotes
LPGA2020 wrote: the better question might be: how much time does one need to spend to successfully have them pay up should this warranty be needed?
I did this with Amex just this week. Submitted it online on Sunday. Had a small email back and forth with the agent on Monday. It was approved within a few hours and I got the cheque on Thursday.
Deal Guru
Jan 12, 2017
12583 posts
3407 upvotes
Scarberia
ticky wrote: I did this with Amex just this week. Submitted it online on Sunday. Had a small email back and forth with the agent on Monday. It was approved within a few hours and I got the cheque on Thursday.
does it work with refurb computers and phones? i've never claim cc warranty ever....even without cc lol
*SIG: Ryzen R5 2600 cpu w/ ASrock B450M OCd to 4.0ghz@1.265v stock cooler 16gb ram win10 pro w/radeon rx460 rogers Gigabit<< xb1 gamertag: mikka2017 >>
Sep 14, 2012
836 posts
509 upvotes
Montreal, QC
mikka2017 wrote: does it work with refurb computers and phones? i've never claim cc warranty ever....even without cc lol
I've never gotten the warranty via my credit card company but the credit cards that I've had don't exclude refurbished computers and phones. However, they only generally double the warranty period up to an extra year. Refurbished items generally don't carry the full warranty (I've purchased some refurbished items which have a warranty of 30 days or 90 days).

If you expect to get the credit card warranty, be prepared to have the bill/invoice along with your credit card statement showing the purchase. The credit card statement is easy to get especially if you opt for electronic statements but if you purchased the item from a brick & mortar store instead of online, it might be difficult for you to find the bill/invoice.