Home & Garden

How does noise issues work between a landlord and a tenant?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2020 1:34 am
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10811 posts
1947 upvotes
Toronto
PointsHubby wrote: It’s not worth playing games with this guy...
That never works out well for a Tenant

Go by the book here 100%

You are not required to do maintenance
That’s the landlord / owners responsibility

You are entitled to a peaceful enjoyment of your home
Period

He’s not providing that

You could call bylaw about the noise
But he knows that’s you complaining
And let’s face it ...
He’s not the type to change his ways

Best advice here
ITS TIME TO LEAVE this crap behind
You’ve been a GREAT TENANT
That he hasn’t appreciated (good tenants are hard to find)
And he’s TAKEN ADVANTAGE OF THAT
DOWNRIGHT ABUSED THAT RELATIONSHIP

So it’s time to end it
Time for you to go / move

Moving twice sucks for sure
But your sanity is worth it

Get your ducks in a row
Best info here was back at Replies # 7 and # 12 by @CNeufeld

Your GF and you need to double down on the home search
Get to the bank
Get qualified
Work with your RE Agent
You need a house solution by April ... if not sooner

Worse case scenario ... find a really temporary arrangement to bridge the gap
Be that another rental, a room, a house share, etc
In reality ...
6 months isn’t a long time
But it is if you are being tortured

PS... the law here is ON YOUR SIDE
All you gotta do is know your rights on how to get out of this lease
And then go thru the proper channels
I'm not walking away and paying more for somewhere else because he wants to live like a college student. I'm going to stay and house hunt and avoid the headache of moving again and again. Like I said I'm working 60 hour weeks because of this pandemic and I don't have time to do that crap.

At the end of the day I'm paying to live in this place. I'm not leaving because of his parties. The last place I left because the landlord and his gf had their 3rd kid and this child would NEVER stop crying 24/7 and she told me to deal with it and she's not coddling her newborn.

When I left I put up ads all over the place stating to do not rent the basement at that address as the landlord cares about nothing and the gf is even worse.

But yes, no more property maintenance. I'll shovel my entrance and area for the car... Nothing else. If he tells me I have to do it then hell be getting a letter in his never checked mailbox stating it's $100 every time I shovel snow on his side and stairs, if it goes over an hour then that will be higher. Probably not enforceable but I don't care.

But for sure if I or my gf get injured on those stairs when going to get mail I will definitely sue the hell out of him.
Apr 29, 2018
899 posts
527 upvotes
Vancouver
Can't you report him for throwing parties during Covid? Also why not just give him 30days notice and leave? Move to an apartment/temp accommodation for now. Wether your contract ends in April or now, you can always leave with a 30 day notice.

Just make sure to serve notice as per the RTA, by registered mail
Deal Addict
Jan 8, 2009
3995 posts
2417 upvotes
Ontario
XtremeModder wrote: What if you file a T2 with LTB then later move.

And I already know you can't withhold rent

Someone that states to be highly knowledgeable about the rights of tenants told me they won $36K against their landlord and hasn't paid rent since June of this year... Why I'm not sure but I know rent can't be withheld
If you file with LTB before moving your case can progress - for example if you want to claim for the additional rent you have to pay to move into a suitable replacement home ( 1 year limit on rent difference can be awarded).

The $36k figure is definitely incorrect as the cap on what can be awarded by LTB is $35k.
"Never wrestle with a pig. You'll both get dirty, and the pig likes it"
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5358 posts
2144 upvotes
Toronto
kramer1 wrote: Can't you report him for throwing parties during Covid?
If it's just him and a few buddies, it's not against the law to have a party in Ontario.

Gatherings: Limiting all social gatherings and organized public events to a maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained.
[OP]
Deal Guru
Aug 14, 2007
10811 posts
1947 upvotes
Toronto
Manatus wrote: If it's just him and a few buddies, it's not against the law to have a party in Ontario.

Gatherings: Limiting all social gatherings and organized public events to a maximum of 10 people indoors and 25 people outdoors where physical distancing can be maintained.
What if he has 9 people upstairs and it's my gf and I living here downstairs? Still count as over 10 since we're still in the house? I think it does as someone down the street apparently complained about a party and everyone on the top floor received a hefty fine... Not sure if it's actually true and I don't really care, more just curious about how that would be.

On the plus side it's friday night and the house is silent for once.