Shopping Discussion

How does one calculate Fedex import/customs fees?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 9th, 2022 7:25 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1724 posts
531 upvotes
Burnaby, BC

How does one calculate Fedex import/customs fees?

I have a shipment that came FedEx International Ground last week for some car floor mats worth about 280USD (~354 CAD).

How much would my Fedex bill come to? Anyone know when the bill will arrive?

There was a comment on the online tracker:
BILL DUTIES/TAXES/FEES TO Recipient

BILLING NOTE: The payor of duties, taxes and fees will be responsible for any applicable Clearance Entry Fees (CEF) and other import fees.

So I'm assuming I'll get this invoice soon? Am I Looking at crazy fees like 100 bucks now?

Thanks!
25 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 7, 2018
2578 posts
1849 upvotes
I think it's best to contact FedEx.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
You are looking at about $50 in sales tax plus $30 in duties ($0 duty if your floor mats were made in USA, Canada, or Mexico). That is the minimum if you self-clear (refuse delivery, get the paperwork from FedEx, take it down to the CBSA office in person and pay there, return the paperwork to FedEx who will then release your package). If you instead let FedEx act as your broker, expect another $60 or more in fees on top of all of that.

EDIT OP I just saw in another thread that you already have the package, so self-clearing is no longer an option. Did you sign in person when it was delivered? If so, you agreed to have FedEx act as your broker and to pay all of its fees, so there is not much you can do other than to just pay up. If the package was dumped at your doorstep and you never signed for it, then you have recourse. See my post in the other thread.
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21741 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Kiraly wrote: You are looking at about $50 in sales tax plus $30 in duties ($0 duty if your floor mats were made in USA, Canada, or Mexico). That is the minimum if you self-clear (refuse delivery, get the paperwork from FedEx, take it down to the CBSA office in person and pay there, return the paperwork to FedEx who will then release your package). If you instead let FedEx act as your broker, expect another $60 or more in fees on top of all of that.

EDIT OP I just saw in another thread that you already have the package, so self-clearing is no longer an option. Did you sign in person when it was delivered? If so, you agreed to have FedEx act as your broker and to pay all of its fees, so there is not much you can do other than to just pay up. If the package was dumped at your doorstep and you never signed for it, then you have recourse. See my post in the other thread.
This

When you use a Courier Service like FedEx you incur a long list of expenses …
* Taxes & Any Duties owing **
* Cost of Shipping
* Brokerage Fees

** Everyone incurs Taxes & Duties based on what they import, no matter how they import. Only way around this is to bring stuff back to Canada when you travel abroad, and declare it / include it as part of your personal exemption.

Courier Cos all charge shipping & brokerage fees at different rates.
The best you can do here is use the cheapest option … although cheapest May also be the slowest.
The cheapest brokerage option is to use the post. Once the item gets to Canada … Canada Post will charge you a flat rate brokerage fee of $ 9.99

Only way to avoid brokerage fees … is to self clear, as described by @Kiraly … but that can be an extra level of inconvenience if you don’t live near a CBSA location.

Truth … it is what it is. This is all part of the cost of doing Biz with a Co outside of Canada. There is no free ride.

Which is why in many cases once you add in all the costs (including Foreign Currency & Exchange Rates / CC Foreign Processing Fees) often times buying abroad isn’t worth it. In fact it’s not uncommon to find out something bought this way actually costs more than sourcing it here in Canada.
Which is why myself I limit my imports to strictly unique goods … or just save up my purchases to coincide with when I am out of the country so I can bring them back as part of my Travellers Personal Exemption.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1724 posts
531 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
ah that is unfortunate, they just dumped it on my doorstep w/out a option to self clear. Not sure about taking a day off to do the self clear process will be worth it >.<
I guess i'll see when the bill comes how much it is and if I can argue the extra fees away.

Thanks everyone!
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Jenniyah wrote: ah that is unfortunate, they just dumped it on my doorstep w/out a option to self clear. Not sure about taking a day off to do the self clear process will be worth it >.<
I guess i'll see when the bill comes how much it is and if I can argue the extra fees away.

Thanks everyone!
That is good. In that case you never authorized FedEx to act as your broker and you do not have to pay them their brokerage charges. See my post in the other thread on steps to take on the phone with FedEx to get them to drop their brokerage charges and other fees. You still owe the duties and taxes though.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1724 posts
531 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
Kiraly wrote: That is good. In that case you never authorized FedEx to act as your broker and you do not have to pay them their brokerage charges. See my post in the other thread on steps to take on the phone with FedEx to get them to drop their brokerage charges and other fees. You still owe the duties and taxes though.
Yes i'll try looking for your other comment in the other thread!

now to decide if I want to call in advance, or wait for them to actually invoice me before I call LOL.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Wait for the invoice. Then call them. Tell them:
1) You are not their customer.
2) You never authorized them to act as your broker.
3) You never signed any service agreement agreeing to have them act as your broker.
4) You will not pay for services you did not ask for or agree to have performed.
5) Unless they can produce a service agreement signed by you saying that you authorized them to act as your broker, you will not pay.
6) Ask the guy if you showed up at his house while he was out, mowed his lawn and trimmed his hedges without his knowledge or consent, and then mailed him an invoice two weeks later, would he pay?
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
294 upvotes
YEG
Kiraly wrote: Wait for the invoice. Then call them. Tell them:
1) You are not their customer.
2) You never authorized them to act as your broker.
3) You never signed any service agreement agreeing to have them act as your broker.
4) You will not pay for services you did not ask for or agree to have performed.
5) Unless they can produce a service agreement signed by you saying that you authorized them to act as your broker, you will not pay.
6) Ask the guy if you showed up at his house while he was out, mowed his lawn and trimmed his hedges without his knowledge or consent, and then mailed him an invoice two weeks later, would he pay?
did you read the fineprint document where the shipper has to sign in for?. this will answer all your questions above
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29059 posts
14596 upvotes
That's the one thing I hate about Fedex is that the last time I looked at least they don't publicly list their rates online.
UPS at least tells you how much they're bending you over. DHL too but it's a much more gentle bend over.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5421 upvotes
Vancouver
glenn9090 wrote: did you read the fineprint document where the shipper has to sign in for?. this will answer all your questions above
Why would the receiver read the contract between the shipper and FedEx? That makes no sense.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5421 upvotes
Vancouver
glenn9090 wrote: Conditions of contract

38FF8E91-8786-4993-B742-A79CC40E3F33.jpeg
Nobody needs to read this except for the seller/shipper. It has nothing to do with OP (receiver).
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22895 posts
21741 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Spinner wrote: Why would the receiver read the contract between the shipper and FedEx? That makes no sense.
Spinner wrote: Nobody needs to read this except for the seller/shipper. It has nothing to do with OP (receiver).
Contract May come into play though if the Buyer agreed at the point of purchase that the Seller said they’d be using FedEx … or a courier service, and that the buyer by proceeding with the transaction was agreeing to pay for the costs associated with international shipping, Taxes & Fees, Customs & Duty

That clause is quite common on many purchase orders I run across when shopping online in the USA

Once you agree to that … the Courier Co could have a case that it is you agreeing to pay.

Just saying …
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Contract May come into play though if the Buyer agreed at the point of purchase that the Seller said they’d be using FedEx … or a courier service, and that the buyer by proceeding with the transaction was agreeing to pay for the costs associated with international shipping, Taxes & Fees, Customs & Duty

That clause is quite common on many purchase orders I run across when shopping online in the USA

Once you agree to that … the Courier Co could have a case that it is you agreeing to pay.

Just saying …
That’s true…but NOT for brokerage fees. In the case of drop & dash delivery, that’s a service provided to the receiver without the receiver’s consent. IIANM FedEx has lost court cases when it has tried to collect on brokerage fees for services provided to the receiver that the receiver never asked for. Like when dumping a parcel at the doorstep without asking for a signature, and then billing the receiver later.
Mar 12, 2013
605 posts
294 upvotes
YEG
Spinner wrote: Why would the receiver read the contract between the shipper and FedEx? That makes no sense.
in the contract, it says that who would be paying the duties and taxes, the shipper checks in for recepient.. there ends the matter
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5421 upvotes
Vancouver
PointsHubby wrote: Contract May come into play though if the Buyer agreed at the point of purchase that the Seller said they’d be using FedEx … or a courier service, and that the buyer by proceeding with the transaction was agreeing to pay for the costs associated with international shipping, Taxes & Fees, Customs & Duty

Just saying …
It doesn't work that way.

The seller cannot have you agree to a contract with a third party (FedEx), especially if the T&C are not presented on the seller's website. When the seller states the buyer is "responsible" for duties and taxes, that it to make you aware fees are required to complete the sales transaction.

If you buy a computer from Dell, you're not involved with a contract between Dell and Intel. If you rent a house with the landlord, you don't automatically enter into an agreement with BC Hydro.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2008
1724 posts
531 upvotes
Burnaby, BC
When i purchased it just said "international courier", my friend bought from sale seller 1 month ago and his duty was only 32 dollars (UPS - no extra fees), so I thought it would be safe and ordered. Then turns out they ship fedex and not the one w/ the fees waved :(

I guess at this point, I'll wait to see what the invoice says, if it is crazy, I will fight it. Had I known, I would've waited for borders to open and done a Blaine pick up.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 19, 2002
5748 posts
5421 upvotes
Vancouver
Jenniyah wrote: When i purchased it just said "international courier", my friend bought from sale seller 1 month ago and his duty was only 32 dollars (UPS - no extra fees), so I thought it would be safe and ordered. Then turns out they ship fedex and not the one w/ the fees waved :(

I guess at this point, I'll wait to see what the invoice says, if it is crazy, I will fight it. Had I known, I would've waited for borders to open and done a Blaine pick up.
If you want to be completely technical and legal about it, you're not responsible for paying any invoice from FedEx. You did not sign a written agreement with FedEx. You did not agree verbally to any service by FedEx. This drop and run tactic is common with FedEx and UPS and they do not expect you to pay. Canada Post does it properly where they hold your package, place a card in your mailbox with more information (terms and conditions), then let you decide if you wish to pay for your package or return to sender. FedEx/UPS carrier pricing already includes duties, taxes, and other charges in their business model. So they do not need to collect using this method. If you still want to pay, that's up to you.

Will they try to collect? Probably by sending it to so-called "collections" where they will mail you a few strongly worded letters. After a couple tries, they will give up. Ultimately, it's not a legitimate debt you're responsible for paying. Whether or not you pay, it will have zero effect on your credit rating.
Deal Expert
Jan 9, 2011
15344 posts
20728 upvotes
Vancouver
Jenniyah wrote: When i purchased it just said "international courier", my friend bought from sale seller 1 month ago and his duty was only 32 dollars (UPS - no extra fees), so I thought it would be safe and ordered. Then turns out they ship fedex and not the one w/ the fees waved :(

Given that:
1) The seller didn't tell you it would be using FedEx, and
2) FedEx dumped the parcel on your doorstep without asking for a signature, and
3) There was absolutely no opportunity for you to consent on FedEx acting as your customs broker,

FedEx has absolutely no case for collecting any money from you for brokerage at all. You have no contract with FedEx and are not its customer. Don't pay.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)