Tags:
[OP]
Banned
Jul 14, 2009
9 posts
1 upvote
Langley

How does this plan rate?

I've been with Fido for what seems like forever. In reality, it's probably been around 13 years. Well, earlier today I found out that I can no longer renew my contract on my grandfathered plan ($15/month for 50mins), and was told this would be the plan that they would offer to me. Can someone please chime in on how this plan rates compared to the competitors? I'm okay with sticking with Fido if it's a decent plan. I've never had a data plan (wifi was always good enough).

"- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 5 GB (over usage: $7/100 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
- Fido Roam™
- Get Spotify Premium free for 6 months for first time users
- 5 FREE hours of data (1 hour, 5 times per billing cycle) with Data Bytes™

This is a Small plan which allows for a subsidy of up to $300 on your next phone upgrade. Also, since this is already a discounted price, any additional discounts are not compatible.
This is a $40/month Loyalty Plus plan"
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36348 posts
9610 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
$40 for 5 gigs of data is a decent price. I would go for it. The only downside for me is the mini voicemail, but I doubt that is a concern for you.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2013
5047 posts
638 upvotes
NORTH YORK
gmg74 wrote: I've been with Fido for what seems like forever. In reality, it's probably been around 13 years. Well, earlier today I found out that I can no longer renew my contract on my grandfathered plan ($15/month for 50mins), and was told this would be the plan that they would offer to me. Can someone please chime in on how this plan rates compared to the competitors? I'm okay with sticking with Fido if it's a decent plan. I've never had a data plan (wifi was always good enough).
I strongly suggest that you call to end contract and they will transfer you to the retention.
If you are happy with $15/50 min talk, I am sure you can stay.
I have got a recent Fido plan of $20 unlimited local call + 100 text (transferred from Chatr)
My data plan (got that ~18 months ago)vhas no relation to my voice plan at all
Daniel

Fido $0 3Gb LTE + overage plan until Feb 2019
Feb 17, 2018
72 posts
48 upvotes
gmg74 wrote: I've been with Fido for what seems like forever. In reality, it's probably been around 13 years. Well, earlier today I found out that I can no longer renew my contract on my grandfathered plan ($15/month for 50mins), and was told this would be the plan that they would offer to me. Can someone please chime in on how this plan rates compared to the competitors? I'm okay with sticking with Fido if it's a decent plan. I've never had a data plan (wifi was always good enough).

"- Unlimited Canada-wide anytime calls
- 5 GB (over usage: $7/100 MB)
- Unlimited text/picture/video msgs from Canada to Canadian, U.S. and international cells
- Call Display (Number only)
- Mini Voicemail (max 3 msgs, can be upgraded to 35 msgs)
- Circle Calling™
- Fido Roam™
- Get Spotify Premium free for 6 months for first time users
- 5 FREE hours of data (1 hour, 5 times per billing cycle) with Data Bytes™

This is a Small plan which allows for a subsidy of up to $300 on your next phone upgrade. Also, since this is already a discounted price, any additional discounts are not compatible.
This is a $40/month Loyalty Plus plan"
Looks like quite the jump to me.
At the end of the day, it really depends on your needs... if you only use a tiny bit of all that data or none at all, it becomes a quite expensive plan.

One competitor's offer for what you have right now (I think?):
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public- ... s-2185821/
Can be combined with this until June 30:
https://forums.redflagdeals.com/public- ... t-2193149/
Please note that Public Mobile is a prepaid provider with online only support (no phone number to contact the customer support team - all their support goes through their community forum, which is not everybody's cup of tea.)

Disclaimer: I am a Public Mobile customer, I'm certain if you also look at ChatR, Lucky, Koodo, Virgin etc you'll find something that fits your needs, if Fido doesn't feel like keeping you with a good plan that doesn't sell you stuff you don't need.

If this is an emergency phone only you could also look at SpeakOut, minimum top-up of $25 lasts for a full year. PAYG is $0.30/min Canada wide, $0.15/sent text... with their "911 fee" you effectively pay $15/year to keep the line.