How Does Roof Insurance Work?

• Last Updated:
  • May 7th, 2021 12:46 am
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
71 posts
15 upvotes

How Does Roof Insurance Work?

I am with TD Insurance. Just wondering if/how I can claim insurance for replacing shingles.
8 replies
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5094 posts
1999 upvotes
Why bother???

You got a deductible to pay?

Not worth it.

After making a claim you're bound to get an increase in premium. .
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
4026 posts
1060 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
Yes, that's one item that home insurance almost always covers. You would have a deductable and that amount was determined and agreed upon by you when you assumed a contract with your insurance company. Just give them a call and they would give you their procedure to follow.
Apr 8, 2013
154 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
It would depend upon the incident. If the shingles flew off during a storm then you might have coverage. On the other hand if the shingles were torn off by an animal, your policy may not respond.

Personally, I wouldn't involve my home insurer unless there was significant damage to my roof or your house (i.e. mold) Assume that a roof repair company were to charge you $1,000. You'd only be ahead by $500 (based upon a $500 deductible). Rest assured the insurance company will recover the $500 through increased premiums over the next six years while the claim is on your record. Two or more claims over a six year period may also place you in a higher risk category making it much more difficult and expensive to obtain home insurance.

You might want to check to see if the shingles are still covered by the original warranty.
[OP]
Feb 14, 2013
71 posts
15 upvotes
Thanks Everyone.

We just got quoted to do our shingles for $8,500.

Was thinking if I can claim insurance on it, why not?

If premium goes up, than there's no point.

Thanks everyone!
Deal Guru
Sep 1, 2005
14254 posts
9023 upvotes
Markham
StudentoftheGame wrote: Thanks Everyone.

Thanks everyone!
No they don't cover shingles or the roof shingle repair/replacement.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Fanatic
Nov 21, 2013
6075 posts
4367 upvotes
StudentoftheGame wrote: Thanks Everyone.

Thanks everyone!
Insurance companies does not cover normal wear of the shingles. They will cover for damages to shingles after an event like a wind storm, or an ice storm (like we had in 1998) or if it is a leaking roof, they will cover the damages caused by the leaking, but not the cause of the leaking (old or already damaged shingles, badly installed shingles, etc)
Deal Fanatic
Oct 13, 2008
5094 posts
1999 upvotes
OP (@StudentoftheGame) ... replacing existing shingles are NOT claimable! It is normal wear and tear.

ONLY WAY you can claim is after a storm that ripped off shingles.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H 7.2 setup. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL; Polk S35 - Center; Klipsch R51M - RR+RL; Klipsch R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL; Polk HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2