Scammers and Warnings

How does this scam involving buying a used car cash-only work?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 9:17 am
Aug 13, 2019
1 posts

How does this scam involving buying a used car cash-only work?

I'm in pursuit of a used car. I came across this 2010 Camry for 4200 CAD. The car is good, I test drove it in the city and on the highway and there are no problems with it as far as I can tell. However, the seller is selling cash only. He doesn't accept e-transfer. The following are a couple text messages between me and him:
Screenshot_20190814-203659.png
Screenshot_20190814-203704.png
Screenshot_20190814-204147.png
Other info: The seller has met with me in his workplace. So that's good. I told him that I want to get a CARFAX report, hence I need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the car. He gave the VIN. I didn't get a CARFAX but I'm assuming that if it had a lien on the car, he wouldn't have given it.

So what is it? It feels sketchy to me but I can't pinpoint if it's a scam or not.
11 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 5, 2006
16787 posts
12570 upvotes
Markham
Why you think it's scam
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2004
2881 posts
5135 upvotes
Get the Carfax. Make sure there is no Lien before giving $4200. Think of it as a 0.5% fee for piece of mind.
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2009
2978 posts
3020 upvotes
Ottawa
Maybe he is just skeptical about getting an e-transfer? Especially if he does not do them and it is for 4.2k. Just offer to meet at a bank and get a cashier's cheque or something? (I know this is likely too late)
Deal Fanatic
Aug 13, 2007
5058 posts
1279 upvotes
GTA
TBH, if I was selling a car and the other person kept insisting on an eTransfer I would think it was a scam too.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
utku6Ws5 wrote: I'm in pursuit of a used car. I came across this 2010 Camry for 4200 CAD. The car is good, I test drove it in the city and on the highway and there are no problems with it as far as I can tell. However, the seller is selling cash only. He doesn't accept e-transfer. The following are a couple text messages between me and him:

Other info: The seller has met with me in his workplace. So that's good. I told him that I want to get a CARFAX report, hence I need the VIN (Vehicle Identification Number) of the car. He gave the VIN. I didn't get a CARFAX but I'm assuming that if it had a lien on the car, he wouldn't have given it.

So what is it? It feels sketchy to me but I can't pinpoint if it's a scam or not.
Dude clearly the guy said his wife does the banking NOT him. Do you understand the concept of E-transfer? If there is no Auto Deposit set on the account, then the primary email address holder has to accept the E-transfer and put the password in. It only goes to ONE email address. His wife is the primary holder so it goes to her E-mail, and maybe the time you want to meet him to do the transfer his wife will not be available. Why are you making it hard for the dude whose selling the car, and it's a 2010 CAMRY what kind of a lien are you hoping to find on it?

Seriously, if it was me I would just tell you to go look elsewhere and stop wasting my god dam time!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2005
9018 posts
2816 upvotes
Ottawa
Many ppl don’t accept etransfers. Eg maybe they don’t want a record of it in their bank account or what not. And plus emt is capped at 3k. You should do what’s convenient to the seller, if you really want the ride.
Deal Addict
Jun 20, 2006
2466 posts
788 upvotes
would you want a $4 etransfer ?
i wouldn't... cause cash is king
also, is it even possible to etransfer such a large amount?
he clearly doesn't want the $ to be traced
specially if the wife does the banking he can say hey honey i sold the car for 3k
and go to girl bar after :)
For sale threads:
GCs / Coins
Cloth / Phones/
Deal Addict
Jan 6, 2004
4255 posts
833 upvotes
T.O.
I found that most people don't accept EMT. I personally prefer EMT, but I see how most of my friends and family wouldn't. BTW, I did have an Email Money Transfer reversed, and lost the money (the bank said that the transfer was fraudulent after I already exchanged the asset.). So it's not as "secure" as most people think.
Heatware: Link
HowardForums: Link
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2015
4501 posts
2892 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Traian2003 wrote: I found that most people don't accept EMT. I personally prefer EMT, but I see how most of my friends and family wouldn't. BTW, I did have an Email Money Transfer reversed, and lost the money (the bank said that the transfer was fraudulent after I already exchanged the asset.). So it's not as "secure" as most people think.
OP is the scam artist here, because you can see clearly in the text messages that the seller was willing to do EMT but only when his wife would be there since she handles all the bank stuff. But OP is resisting and asking the seller to do it at his convenient time. What a douche OP is!
If you like the post or the comment, then don't forget to SMASH that LIKE BUTTON!
Deal Expert
Mar 9, 2007
15618 posts
13276 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Fake cash

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)