Automotive

How does Service Ontario prove your vehicle was insured when retroactively charging you 2 years for sticker?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 18th, 2021 9:09 pm
[OP]
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1361 upvotes

How does Service Ontario prove your vehicle was insured when retroactively charging you 2 years for sticker?

Question is in the title.

I've been told when I go to renew, they are going to retroactively charge me. Something about this bothers me in a very RFD way, and I seek a way around this.

So let's start..

1.) How do they know the vehicle was insured and on the road for that year? Do they have access to your insurance records for that year?

2.) Can I simply purchase new plates to get around this? If I'm paying anyways, maybe it's time to get those vanity plates.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
49 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
Doug Ford just wants your $ regardless ... so just pay up and you can keep on driving Winking Face
Nov 24, 2010
181 posts
296 upvotes
Toronto
Just tell them that you are the special person in the world who is entitled to get out of paying.

For those of us that paid when we were suppose to rather than choosing to deferring it’s time for you to stop whining and pay up.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
16745 posts
11936 upvotes
Toronto
amadis wrote: Just tell them that you are the special person in the world who is entitled to get out of paying.

For those of us that paid when we were suppose to rather than choosing to deferring it’s time for you to stop whining and pay up.
amen!
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7088 posts
3933 upvotes
Ottawa
Definitely a bit of a scam. We bought a new car this year and since we still had old plates from the car we sold last August, we decided to re-use them. My wife is the one that went to ServiceOntario to pay so I only found out later but they charged us for the sticker from the time the sticker expired on the old car even though we had already sold it last year (for what we paid in sticker fees, it would have been cheaper just to get a new plate!) (In case it's not clear, because we wanted to re-use our old plates, they charged us for the sticker on a plate for a car that was already sold and the plate was just sitting in a drawer)
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: Definitely a bit of a scam. We bought a new car this year and since we still had old plates from the car we sold last August, we decided to re-use them. My wife is the one that went to ServiceOntario to pay so I only found out later but they charged us for the sticker from the time the sticker expired on the old car even though we had already sold it last year (for what we paid in sticker fees, it would have been cheaper just to get a new plate!) (In case it's not clear, because we wanted to re-use our old plates, they charged us for the sticker on a plate for a car that was already sold and the plate was just sitting in a drawer)
You could have disclosed and show proof that your old car was sold back then, the MTO then should have just charged you on the new car registration. IMO.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 4, 2004
7088 posts
3933 upvotes
Ottawa
booblehead wrote: You could have disclosed and show proof that your old car was sold back then, the MTO then should have just charged you on the new car registration. IMO.
You're probably right but it was my wife that was at Service Ontario and she didn't even noticed she paid for the sticker retroactively and when I noticed the issue, I didn't fell like going through the hassle of having to go back to Service Ontario and prove that we sold the car (sold it privately so I'm not even sure what proof I have) for maybe $100 (sticker expired in July which is when we sold the car and then bought the new one in Feb so it might have been 7 months of sticker cost).
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31892 posts
18883 upvotes
Toronto
michelb wrote: You're probably right but it was my wife that was at Service Ontario and she didn't even noticed she paid for the sticker retroactively and when I noticed the issue, I didn't fell like going through the hassle of having to go back to Service Ontario and prove that we sold the car (sold it privately so I'm not even sure what proof I have) for maybe $100 (sticker expired in July which is when we sold the car and then bought the new one in Feb so it might have been 7 months of sticker cost).
If sold privately, then disclose the vin # of the car sold to them and MTO should be able to see who the new owner is now and when it was transacted/registered
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2017
4626 posts
4879 upvotes
GTA
Service Ontario can see if a vehicle has an active insurance policy. You used to have to bring in a physical insurance slip for various purposes, but now you don't have to because it's all in their computer system. I'm not sure if they keep historical data though (I would assume they do).
May 26, 2016
144 posts
122 upvotes
Syne wrote: How does Service Ontario prove your vehicle was insured when retroactively charging you 2 years for sticker?

The same way they proved that your vehicle was insured when they extended your sticker.

BTW, who told you that Service Ontario has to prove ... anything ? In order to get a new sticker you have to prove that your vehicle has insurance and you must pay outstanding vehicle fines, tolls and fees (i.e. extended sticker -> last yr. fee -> outstanding).
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2563 posts
2516 upvotes
Ottawa
I haven't had to prove that I have insurance on either of my vehicles any time I've extended my registration (online), only when I first registered them, so ...

If you disagree with the charge, challenge it and prove they're in the wrong. Otherwise, pay your damned bill.
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
16929 posts
14517 upvotes
GTA, ON
Dynatos wrote: I haven't had to prove that I have insurance on either of my vehicles any time I've extended my registration (online), only when I first registered them, so ...

If you disagree with the charge, challenge it and prove they're in the wrong.
Insurance is one of the questions on the form is it not? Just like: what is your current odo?
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1079 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
chimaican wrote: Insurance is one of the questions on the form is it not? Just like: what is your current odo?
Renewed 3 cars this year. They didn't ask for insurance info online.
May 26, 2016
144 posts
122 upvotes
Dynatos wrote: I haven't had to prove that I have insurance on either of my vehicles any time I've extended my registration (online), only when I first registered them, so ...
Inclemental wrote: Renewed 3 cars this year. They didn't ask for insurance info online.

You obviously missed this part when you renewed online (first page):

3. valid insurance

We will automatically check if your insurance is valid. In some cases, you may still need to provide your insurance company name and policy number. To renew licence plate sticker for snowmobiles, you do not need to provide insurance information.

Dynatos wrote: If you disagree with the charge, challenge it and prove they're in the wrong. Otherwise, pay your damned bill.

It's clear that you have a poor understanding about the sticker and insurance. The sticker isn't proof of insurance, I can get a sticker today and I can cancel my insurance tomorrow or I can not renew it the day after tomorrow ...
Last edited by Ttn545 on Aug 11th, 2021 4:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2004
2570 posts
1287 upvotes
Hometown

Not really true.... You are attesting to the fact that you have insurance by completing the transaction online. If you are lying you are liable for the penalties. It is all in the small print. Just the same as they NEVER ask you to show an insurance slip in person anymore. They have not for more than a couple of years now. When you enter your policy number digitally or in pen for the paperwork in person, that is your proving it now. That number must sync up with what is in the system for plate number and VIN or the system gets angry LOL. All insurance companies are REQUIRED to notify the MOT if you cancel policy or if your policy lapses for non payment.

If you think you would get your new sticker mailed to you if you did not have insurance good luck. While you might possibly rig the times just so to get mailed a sticker. So what every police unit with a scanner will likely spot your plate while you are driving and the scanner would automatically instruct the officer to pull you over just to check.
Deal Addict
Jan 20, 2012
1079 posts
716 upvotes
Toronto
Ttn545 wrote: You obviously missed this part when you renewed online (first page):

3. valid insurance

We will automatically check if your insurance is valid. In some cases, you may still need to provide your insurance company name and policy number. To renew licence plate sticker for snowmobiles, you do not need to provide insurance information.

It was required back in 2018/2019 for my last renewal.
Banned
Jun 4, 2020
1634 posts
1731 upvotes
Clarington, ON
Syne wrote: Question is in the title.

I've been told when I go to renew, they are going to retroactively charge me. Something about this bothers me in a very RFD way, and I seek a way around this.

So let's start..

1.) How do they know the vehicle was insured and on the road for that year? Do they have access to your insurance records for that year?

2.) Can I simply purchase new plates to get around this? If I'm paying anyways, maybe it's time to get those vanity plates.
If the vehicle wasn't being driven, why wouldn't you turn in the plates and get a rebate for the remainder of your sticker.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2563 posts
2516 upvotes
Ottawa
Ttn545 wrote: You obviously missed this part when you renewed online (first page):

3. valid insurance

It's clear that you have a poor understanding about the sticker and insurance. The sticker isn't proof of insurance, I can get a sticker today and I can cancel my insurance tomorrow or I can not renew it the day after tomorrow ...
I missed nothing.

You're legally require to have insurance to renew reigstration. That doesn't mean that you need to physically show a pink slip when renewing.

I'm not sure how it's clear from my statement that I have a poor understanding of registration versus insurance. I have a full understanding. I suspect that you're making assumptions and extrapolating from what I actually wrote. Ad hominem attacks are not warranted or appreciated.

To the topic at hand, it's fair that the specific point in time that they checked insurance did not reflect the last 2 years (or whatever) since the last renewal. If that's the case, the person renewing should have proactively canceled the registration and received a reimbursement.

I'm not sure I understand why Service Ontario would be considered at fault here.

If your car was insured, pay the bill. Otherwise, prove to Service Ontario that it wasn't.

This post sounds like it's all about OP trying to avoid paying a fee that he should legitimately be paying. It reeks of fraud. The fees were suspended to avoid line ups at Service Ontario locations, reduce issues caused by Service Ontario locations being closed, and just generally to help reduce risk in a pandemic. They're not a tax relief.
Deal Addict
Mar 20, 2005
2886 posts
1139 upvotes
Maple
Im not sure if anyone answered,

But cant he just buy new plates and a sticker ? And not pay the stickers for the previous plates?
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2018
1669 posts
2031 upvotes
amadis wrote: Just tell them that you are the special person in the world who is entitled to get out of paying.

Exactly. Knew it was only temporary so I paid regardless
<signature length too long>

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)