Real Estate

How does Subway Station Construction Affect Property Values?

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 25th, 2021 10:12 pm
[OP]
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto

How does Subway Station Construction Affect Property Values?

Hello!

There is an announced ~9 year plan to build a TTC subway extension on the Yonge line that extends north from Finch station to Steeles, Clark, Bridge, and High Tech Road.

Is there a general pattern of how property values in areas of transit construction (LRT, Subways, etc.) are affected during the construction and completion phases?

Any thoughts on whether this brings down property values during the construction phase due to the interruption? Or do they historically go up anyways, due to the promise of the end result?
It would be interesting to know for those who may be considering selling or buying along that proposed subway line, when might be a better time to buy or sell (when just isolating for this factor)

Thanks!
Last edited by weirdlogic on Aug 23rd, 2021 10:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
5 replies
Banned
Aug 20, 2021
1020 posts
740 upvotes
Toronto
I live near Eglinton, and have been living with all the hassle of the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT for the last few years. But for all the hassle, it doesn't look to me like property values in the neighborhood have been negatively affected. I assume that since real estate is kind of a long term investment, people interesting in buying around here will look at the big picture and see that a mass transit line will make the neighborhood more valuable. As an aside, there are a whole lot of towers going up are being planned to go up on or near the LRT stations, so looking like we have to be living with construction for awhile even when the LRT is running Disappointed But Relieved Face
Deal Addict
Apr 12, 2013
2920 posts
1904 upvotes
Moon
What ever short term hurt you will experience will be returned to you 10 fold. Ideally you buy when the construction begins and hold till its done.
Koodo, Public Mobile, Lucky Mobile Customer
[OP]
May 24, 2012
315 posts
72 upvotes
Toronto
ElBorak wrote: I live near Eglinton, and have been living with all the hassle of the construction of the Eglinton Crosstown LRT for the last few years. But for all the hassle, it doesn't look to me like property values in the neighborhood have been negatively affected. I assume that since real estate is kind of a long term investment, people interesting in buying around here will look at the big picture and see that a mass transit line will make the neighborhood more valuable. As an aside, there are a whole lot of towers going up are being planned to go up on or near the LRT stations, so looking like we have to be living with construction for awhile even when the LRT is running Disappointed But Relieved Face
Thanks for sharing your experiences. You raise a good point that even when construction on the subway is done, there will be further ongoing construction to serve the populace around that station (more restaurants, stores, etc.)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
6575 posts
3726 upvotes
Toronto
weirdlogic wrote: Thanks for sharing your experiences. You raise a good point that even when construction on the subway is done, there will be further ongoing construction to serve the populace around that station (more restaurants, stores, etc.)
I don't think that's necessarily a bad thing. As much as it's a pain to live with construction, I'd argue it's probably worse living somewhere with no development that's trapped in the 70s. At least if there's construction, something is being done.
Deal Addict
Sep 13, 2016
3440 posts
2218 upvotes
Mississauga
Public infra work, specially if related to highways, transit systems etc usually always affect property values positively.