Shopping Discussion

How does a website I've never been to know my name?

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 27th, 2020 5:42 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo

How does a website I've never been to know my name?

Do browser pass along our information such as our name when we visit sites? Was just at this website:

https://soviet.market/catalog/vostok_kirovskie_retro/

And chat start up asking me by my name if I needed any help.
Welcome to the Minitrue FDs, Ficdep
19 replies
Jul 15, 2017
446 posts
261 upvotes
Toronto, ON
It uses Facebook Messenger for their chat and you're probably just signed in.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
Facebook or google logins... usually facebook. You'd do well not to login to FB. Or at least install a facebook tracker blocker plugin in your browser, like facebook disconnect and ublock.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
hagbard wrote: Do browser pass along our information such as our name when we visit sites? Was just at this website:

https://soviet.market/catalog/vostok_kirovskie_retro/

And chat start up asking me by my name if I needed any help.
lol... i'm not even going to click on that soviet.market website.. sounds sketch.
Dec 8, 2009
690 posts
735 upvotes
engineered wrote: lol... i'm not even going to click on that soviet.market website.. sounds sketch.
In Soviet Russia website clicks on you!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
engineered wrote: Facebook or google logins... usually facebook. You'd do well not to login to FB. Or at least install a facebook tracker blocker plugin in your browser, like facebook disconnect and ublock.
I'm using UBlock. You mean if I'm logged into facebook on the same browser as the one I'm searching on Google and go to a site, it can see the facebook info?? I will get the blocker then.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
hagbard wrote: I'm using UBlock. You mean if I'm logged into facebook on the same browser as the one I'm searching on Google and go to a site, it can see the facebook info?? I will get the blocker then.
Yep. Same goes for the FB phone app.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5311 posts
2959 upvotes
GTA
Those Facebook 'Like' buttons are everywhere for a reason too

If you use Firefox, you should look into containers.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 19, 2001
31347 posts
2017 upvotes
Fernando Poo
Dave98 wrote: Those Facebook 'Like' buttons are everywhere for a reason too

If you use Firefox, you should look into containers.
Not sure what you mean? Containers?
Deal Fanatic
Sep 10, 2005
5311 posts
2959 upvotes
GTA
hagbard wrote: Not sure what you mean? Containers?
Sorry, should have been more specific but I'm on my phone and lazy.

Take a look at the following. Containers on Firefox let you isolate certain sites from the rest of your browser.

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/firefo ... ontainers/

Here's a Facebook specific one

https://addons.mozilla.org/en-CA/androi ... container/
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14275 posts
3512 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
I only use Facebook on a computer webbrowser, and log out when I'm done.

You may want to get into the habit of opening up an incognito/private browser window for sites you don't normally visit. My preference is to use multiple browsers.
Deal Addict
Feb 6, 2003
2014 posts
347 upvotes
COU
rabbit wrote: I only use Facebook on a computer webbrowser, and log out when I'm done.

You may want to get into the habit of opening up an incognito/private browser window for sites you don't normally visit. My preference is to use multiple browsers.
Same here. Brave for the serious work, Firefox for all the Google shit. Never did Facebook. As soon as they asked for my phone number I noped.
Dec 6, 2012
544 posts
331 upvotes
Montréal, QC
Nice watches, what movement do they use?
Deal Guru
Jun 27, 2004
14275 posts
3512 upvotes
Vancouver.bc.ca
Riffer wrote: Never did Facebook. As soon as they asked for my phone number I noped.
It's not mandatory to give them your phone number. I generally avoid giving out my phone number unless it's to a bank or something. Sure, it's more convenient to give your phone number out to everything, so all your stuff is "connected", but it's also more convenient for scammers, too.
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
Will chromes incognito mode block any shadow transmission of data like Facebook and google login info? I can’t imagine what sites have my credit card info as I have that in the payment portion of my browser. At this point all these companies are out to sell us out but chrome is the devil I know. I’m hearing good things about the new Edge browser though and it’s as fast as chrome.
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19465 posts
22601 upvotes
GTA
Supercooled wrote: Will chromes incognito mode block any shadow transmission of data like Facebook and google login info? I can’t imagine what sites have my credit card info as I have that in the payment portion of my browser. At this point all these companies are out to sell us out but chrome is the devil I know. I’m hearing good things about the new Edge browser though and it’s as fast as chrome.
I don't save any payment info in any browser. I enter my paypal or credit card info manually each time. My gmail passwords aren't save either. Only non-critical logins, like RFD, lol.