• Last Updated:
  • Oct 30th, 2019 10:35 am
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes

How to earn free CPD for CPA ?

My company does not sponsor any CPD course. I wonder what are the options available to earn some free CPD.

Note: I used to claim in house courses/webinars, presentations, and organization wide training to others within the company. Unfortunately, the current position/company does not have any of these.

Thanks for any advice.
9 replies
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
I counted the total number of CPD hours from those free courses, it is only 30 hours, and they probably will not another 30 hours of new CPD courses offer next year. I guess we will have to start paying for courses after these 30 hours........

By the way, I also heard that we could claim hours by volunteering to those CPA events as the mentors to CPA students. Has anyone joined that ? Please share your experience :)
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
I took a look of the CPA CPD Reporting Portal yesterday. It allows to claim CPA magazines (& other journals) reading as well as on job learning/training at work. But of course, these are not considered "verifiable" hours. We still need to find 20 hours per year of verifiable items to claim. By the way, I think presentation at work counts as verifiable.
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
CPA Canada has free webenirs.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: CPA Canada has free webenirs.
Thanks. I have been using CPA Ontario website. Can I assume CPA Canada operates separately and I need to register there again? What would be my CPA Canada # if it is different than CPA Ontario one? Thanks again
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2333 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
rdx wrote: Thanks. I have been using CPA Ontario website. Can I assume CPA Canada operates separately and I need to register there again? What would be my CPA Canada # if it is different than CPA Ontario one? Thanks again
The good news is that you just have to register for the webniers, you do not need to log into CPA Canada. Part of your fees go to CPA Canada. You can create a CPA Canada account.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
8938 posts
719 upvotes
raichu1 wrote: The good news is that you just have to register for the webniers, you do not need to log into CPA Canada. Part of your fees go to CPA Canada. You can create a CPA Canada account.
Thanks. I wish they have a filter to filter out those free courses/webinars like the CPA BC website. I notice some of the free ones do not offer CPD either. So, we basically need to go through the list one by one to find those free with CPD classes.