Home & Garden

How to easily handle Grass on Big areas...mowing, weed etc.

• Last Updated:
  • May 27th, 2022 3:52 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba

How to easily handle Grass on Big areas...mowing, weed etc.

IMG_20220511_203446969 (3).jpg
IMG_20220511_201502046 (1).jpg
IMG_20220511_201355519_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20220511_201429622 (1).jpg
IMG_20220511_201525517 (1).jpg
— — — — — — — — — — — —
The end came for me (for light roast coffee) when the tasting notes at a light roast shop in Portland said: "Hints of citrus, star anise & coffee" - Unknown on the internet
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Hello RFD
I am new to managing grass on any size lawn let alone the big ones as I posted.
perhaps in future, I will take more interest and will learn and do things more passionately but this year I have loads of other priorities so I am looking for some shortcut for the grass
Purpose is that the condition should not deteriorate and stay as it has been and then next year onwards, we will see if we can improve. pictures are for front and side yard and some close ups . I have also posted picture of a backside patch where toons of leaves
So here are some questions
1) I am in market for riding lawn mower but the delayed decision process and poor available inventory post covid has ensured that I dont have a mower yet and the grass is now all green ( only one week since the snow full melt). How long can I leave the grass without mowing ? Does it harm the grass (permanently) if you dont mow. Dealers are saying it might as well be July for some mower that I want. I have bought a small self propelled mower but that will not be suitable for this.
2) We acquired the properly in last fall so I did not notice much weed as in those yellow flowers. but noticed some spiky weeds. this year, I have started seeing some yellow stuff appearing. What is easiest and manual oriented thing can I do in that regards. Preference will be not to use harsh chemicals/pesticides as the family plays quite a bit in the grass.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
The end came for me (for light roast coffee) when the tasting notes at a light roast shop in Portland said: "Hints of citrus, star anise & coffee" - Unknown on the internet
Deal Addict
Mar 22, 2017
3106 posts
4579 upvotes
West GTA
If you want to maintain this as a grass lawn, you need a riding mower ASAP (like today). Check out for a used one or something if you can't get new. It's way too big to do with a self propelled mower - you might do it a couple of times if you have to but it'll take you all day (at least you'll get some exercise!).

If this is too much lawn for you (and it would be for me, I don't want to maintain my own football field) then carve out some of it that you'd use but that is doable with a self-propelled mower any then let some of the rest go wild, I'd personally plant a native-tilted wildflower mix via seed broadcast since it's cheap, eco-friendly, low-maintenance (usually one mow a year) and looks great.

If you want to weed treat a property of that size you'll want a tow behind sprayer for your riding mower, and reasonable and effective selective control is likely to be using synthetics that can be hard to find.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
grumble wrote: If you want to maintain this as a grass lawn, you need a riding mower ASAP (like today). Check out for a used one or something if you can't get new. It's way too big to do with a self propelled mower - you might do it a couple of times if you have to but it'll take you all day (at least you'll get some exercise!).

If this is too much lawn for you (and it would be for me, I don't want to maintain my own football field) then carve out some of it that you'd use but that is doable with a self-propelled mower any then let some of the rest go wild, I'd personally plant a native-tilted wildflower mix via seed broadcast since it's cheap, eco-friendly, low-maintenance (usually one mow a year) and looks great.

If you want to weed treat a property of that size you'll want a tow behind sprayer for your riding mower, and reasonable and effective selective control is likely to be using synthetics that can be hard to find.
Ok Thanks... Whats reasoning if I can't leave the grass growing for lets say another 1 month. Sorry newbie on this. What will be the harm....
It was mowed always. Just that the lawnmower that I want is not available.
Worst case scenario, I might need to borrow or engage a lawn mowing company($)
Man... trying my best...Didn't know from snow to lawn care, it will change so fast..
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
For sure you'd need a riding mower, even something larger like a basic commercial mower. We had friends who lived in Uxbridge and had property a bit larger than yours and they spent the money on something like this: https://www.deere.ca/en/mowers/commerci ... 15e-mower/ It still took them a couple of hours to mow and maintain regularly.

I agree with grumble that seeding a field type grass that doesn't require much watering would be best as your water bills would be crazy if you tried to grow regular turf grass.
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Asker123 wrote: Ok Thanks... Whats reasoning if I can't leave the grass growing for lets say another 1 month. Sorry newbie on this. What will be the harm....
It was mowed always. Just that the lawnmower that I want is not available.
Worst case scenario, I might need to borrow or engage a lawn mowing company($)
Man... trying my best...Didn't know from snow to lawn care, it will change so fast..
If you leave it and it gets too long, you won't be able to cut it with a residential home mower and it'll take FOREVER to do.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Thank you. Bought Cub Cadet Z Force SX 54 . Getting delivered tomorrow

https://www.cubcadet.ca/en/zero-turn-mo ... ES&start=1

1) I am going to mow high and want to keep minimum 4.5 inch as per following recommendation. Can someone knowledgeable in this area confirm if this makes sense. For a property like mine. why go crazy if mowing high is indeed better for Lawn

https://www.emeraldlawncareinc.com/emer ... hier-lawn/

2) I am seeing a few those yellow flower weed ( I can count 10 or so on a big Lawn like mine) , is there anything easy I can do quickly to stop spread it to my full field or just ignore. I dont want to use pesticide.
Last edited by Asker123 on May 28th, 2022 3:41 am, edited 9 times in total.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Fanatic
Jun 24, 2015
8524 posts
2944 upvotes
0 downvotes
some people who have huge lots also pay someone to come by every few weeks to cut the lawn, you might want to consider doing this in the mean time while your trying to buy a mower. but yes ride along mower is a good idea
Supermarket worker at Fortino's
I'm Not a Wise Guy but more of a Good Fella~!
Drive an Escalade
Jun 30, 2009
905 posts
383 upvotes
Vancouver
If you leave your grass to grow too long, things start living in it. When mine gets too long, anthills start appearing.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Lots and lots of weed. I am not worried too much as I have no motive to maintain a golf course style lawn but a bit less of these yellow flowers would have been nice. Not sure if something can be done without pesticides.
I am mowing the lawn at 4.5 inches.
Pics below
Last edited by Asker123 on May 27th, 2022 2:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
some latest pics
IMG_20220526_110047901_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20220526_142041456_HDR (1).jpg
IMG_20220526_110138892 (1).jpg
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
Looks like your property is quite expansive and the grass that's there is quite thin, hence the ease of the dandelions growing in the bare spots. You're not going to be able to manage that without some sort of herbicide efforts.
Deal Expert
Jun 24, 2006
15769 posts
11167 upvotes
It isn't hard, but it isn't quick either. It's going to take work and commitment.

You're going to have to spray the dandelions or wait for them to die out. They don't stay yellow all summer, they will turn white and that's it. They will come back next year though.

As said grass is too thin to keep them at bay with spraying, so you need to thicken it up if you care. Start with a good dethatching a the grass will likely thicken up.

Also, 4.5" is way too long. I would be cutting mine at that, not too that. I cut mine to 2.5" for most of it and 3" in the front ditches as the deck gets hung up at 2.5" as the banks are steep.

That's a nice mower your got there, it will do a good job.
Deal Addict
Jan 7, 2014
2722 posts
549 upvotes
Manitoba
Thanks folks. I am mowing high because I learnt that tall grass is healthy and it will be have stronger roots, draught resistant and even weed resistant. But I get your point that grass is not dense so weeds and weeds. I guess just because this is a big area , it is still having some grass, else the weeds would have had completely taken over.
I am in no hurry so anyway I can control this without chemicals, I will try. Its just that I can not engage professionals because that might be too expensive.
Something I can do myself, even if it takes some time and effort would be great. I will look into dethatching.
— — — — — — — — — — — —
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
2761 posts
1830 upvotes
GTA
If you don't manage the dandelions, they will continue to spread faster than you realize, especially with such a large area. Overseeding with some fescue or faster growing strains will help crowd out the weeds, but good luck.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)