Careers

How easy it is to get fired as opseu member

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 1st, 2020 6:04 pm
[OP]
Jul 24, 2020
3 posts

How easy it is to get fired as opseu member

I'm very concerned as I am afraid of losing the job. I had some misunderstanding with my employer but they did not say anything at the moment. I'm just emotionally upset and not sure whether they will fire me (while I'm a opesu member)?
9 replies
Banned
Feb 7, 2005
4498 posts
1186 upvotes
Kdave2020 wrote: I'm very concerned as I am afraid of losing the job. I had some misunderstanding with my employer but they did not say anything at the moment. I'm just emotionally upset and not sure whether they will fire me (while I'm a opesu member)?
Depending on what happened ? Most places have progressive discipline . So unless you did something really outrageous . Your will either get a letter or a few days .

Hard to help you without knowing what happened .

You can pm me I can give you better advice . I am very familiar with Opseu .
<sig removed> by moderators . Yet no moderator told me they removed or why ?
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2013
2339 posts
1474 upvotes
Without knowing what you did it’s really hard to say.
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2011
10557 posts
3676 upvotes
You had a misunderstanding like you took the last cookie from the snack tray, or you tried to sleep with a coworker?
[OP]
Jul 24, 2020
3 posts
Ha not to that extent yet. I made a mistake which makes it look like I set up a side company working for my employer. (Which is not the truth)
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7307 posts
3891 upvotes
Debtario
Contact your union steward or local union office. Familiarize yourself with your collective agreement and your employer's discipline policies.

Outside of violence, harassment, and theft, It's difficult to fire someone in an unionized environment, most often the employer needs to show progressive discipline has been applied - verbal, written, suspension, and then termination. During any of these steps your collective agreement should have a grievance procedure where you can appeal the discipline, that's what you pay union dues for. Most often the union and company will settle the matter, but if they can't then it goes to arbitration which is expensive for both sides.

Wrongful termination is extremely expensive, the employer needs iron-clad proof that you did what they claim.
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
6947 posts
6066 upvotes
M1K3Z0R wrote: Contact your union steward or local union office. Familiarize yourself with your collective agreement and your employer's discipline policies.

Outside of violence, harassment, and theft, It's difficult to fire someone in an unionized environment, most often the employer needs to show progressive discipline has been applied - verbal, written, suspension, and then termination. During any of these steps your collective agreement should have a grievance procedure where you can appeal the discipline, that's what you pay union dues for. Most often the union and company will settle the matter, but if they can't then it goes to arbitration which is expensive for both sides.

Wrongful termination is extremely expensive, the employer needs iron-clad proof that you did what they claim.
It's not difficult to fire unionized person for without cause. You just pay severance in line with common law

Source: have fired union people before including cupe employees in previous jobs

It's just typically, all manager cares about is get the person on to another team or get budget to hire someone else. So in union positions, they get shuffled around more especially for more general position,

There's no need to show progressive discipline and etc if you just want to fire someone without cause. You need to do all that If you want to fire them with cause but really, just pay up and get rid of a headache

Union cares most about not eliminating the position from my experience moreso than who's in the position
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes
from what I heard its very HARD to get fired as an OPSEU member, you pretty much have to purposely try to kill a patient by purposely giving them the wrong medication ,and that wont likely happen because other nurses work on the other shifts and will notice and plus they will give the correct medicine and you will get caught before something happens
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
May 27, 2011
514 posts
370 upvotes
NORTH YORK
GoodFellaz wrote: from what I heard its very HARD to get fired as an OPSEU member, you pretty much have to purposely try to kill a patient by purposely giving them the wrong medication ,and that wont likely happen because other nurses work on the other shifts and will notice and plus they will give the correct medicine and you will get caught before something happens
Few years back nurses were fired from insurance fraud. Its around the same time when the ttc workers got caught doing same thing.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)