Students

how easy is Ryerson's business management 1st year?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 15th, 2013 2:26 pm
[OP]
Feb 2, 2013
41 posts
1 upvote

how easy is Ryerson's business management 1st year?

What was your average for first year?

Would you say that 1st year was easier or harder than grade 12 in high school?

Thanks for the help!
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7205 posts
424 upvotes
York
75% average.

First year is harder just because you have little assignments due every week and 6 courses per sem, as opposed to 4 like you had in high school. Other than that, they are all review except one or 2 of them, assuming you wanted to go into business and took grade 12 econ, accounting, data management, business management, etc. First year is also harder since you have less time to do the work, as the commute takes longer than the walk to school did.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2013
41 posts
1 upvote
dankup wrote: 75% average.

First year is harder just because you have little assignments due every week and 6 courses per sem, as opposed to 4 like you had in high school. Other than that, they are all review except one or 2 of them, assuming you wanted to go into business and took grade 12 econ, accounting, data management, business management, etc. First year is also harder since you have less time to do the work, as the commute takes longer than the walk to school did.
Would you say it would be much harder without grade 12 econ or accounting?
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7205 posts
424 upvotes
York
RyersonTRSM wrote: Would you say it would be much harder without grade 12 econ or accounting?
It will be harder no doubt but not MUCH. If you were to already know accounting and economics, you would avoid studying for 3 subjects/6 in the semester as opposed to reading for all 6.
Mar 28, 2011
253 posts
13 upvotes
from what my friends in that program told me - it's piss easy.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2013
41 posts
1 upvote
Insomniac05 wrote: from what my friends in that program told me - it's piss easy.
Are these friends getting a 'good' average?

Also, if you're in business management first year, what's your 1st year average and what was your grade 12 average?
Jan 12, 2010
743 posts
204 upvotes
I am actually in 1st year BM right now. Grade 12 average was 87 (including functions, and calculus), and this year is hovering around 3.5 or so. I wouldn't say that its hard, but you have to put time into the work that you do. As for econ, I didn't take grade 12 econ, and still pulling a 3.67 GPA without reading the textbook and such.

Although, the hardest course for BM is accounting. ACC110's midterm average was around 50 or so, but it was pretty much a review of grade 12 accounting with an exception of the first 2-3 chapters and cases. ACC410's midterm average was also around 50, but its totally new material. Other than that, just do your work and you will do fine.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2013
41 posts
1 upvote
xSynChrome wrote: I am actually in 1st year BM right now. Grade 12 average was 87 (including functions, and calculus), and this year is hovering around 3.5 or so. I wouldn't say that its hard, but you have to put time into the work that you do. As for econ, I didn't take grade 12 econ, and still pulling a 3.67 GPA without reading the textbook and such.

Although, the hardest course for BM is accounting. ACC110's midterm average was around 50 or so, but it was pretty much a review of grade 12 accounting with an exception of the first 2-3 chapters and cases. ACC410's midterm average was also around 50, but its totally new material. Other than that, just do your work and you will do fine.
Would you say the stats course is similar to Advanced functions or calc? and would you say it's relatively 'easy'?
Banned
Jul 31, 2009
69 posts
7 upvotes
Tdot
RyersonTRSM wrote: Would you say the stats course is similar to Advanced functions or calc? and would you say it's relatively 'easy'?
I dont go to Ryerson but how can stats be similar to advanced functions or calc? Maybe the algebra part might help? Do you know even what stats is? If you have taken data management, probability might be helpful to some extent. When i took stats in my first year at my school, it was tough, nothing from highschool helped. From what I hear, financial accounting intro level is a complete joke at your school as its pretty much grade 12 accounting all over again. It will certainly be tough for the students who never took accounting in highschool. So learning from scratch is going to be tough since time and other factors will play a role.

Why dont you focus on highschool work rather than thinking what courses are going to be challenging ( although i dont see that being possible compared to others schools) at Ryerson?
Jan 12, 2010
743 posts
204 upvotes
RyersonTRSM wrote: Would you say the stats course is similar to Advanced functions or calc? and would you say it's relatively 'easy'?
The last chapter of Stats202 (regression) is pretty similar to advance functions(just the algebra part) other than that, its REALLY easy. You also get cheat sheets for the stats course, which makes the test and exam even easier. and tbh, i didn't study much for the test or exams either since its just plug and play into the calculator.
Deal Addict
Sep 4, 2011
1091 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
i find that its more related to data management
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2009
2777 posts
413 upvotes
If you study weekly should easily attain A- average in your first year.
[OP]
Feb 2, 2013
41 posts
1 upvote
raymondh wrote: Why dont you focus on highschool work rather than thinking what courses are going to be challenging ( although i dont see that being possible compared to others schools) at Ryerson?
I'm already getting a low 90 average in High school, so doing more work would really be harder than one would initially think.
xSynChrome wrote: The last chapter of Stats202 (regression) is pretty similar to advance functions(just the algebra part) other than that, its REALLY easy. You also get cheat sheets for the stats course, which makes the test and exam even easier. and tbh, i didn't study much for the test or exams either since its just plug and play into the calculator.
Might sound weird, but do you write your own cheat sheets or is there some sketchy group you guys buy cheat sheets from?
zerg00 wrote: i find that its more related to data management
Well I guess I'm at a loss then since I didn't take data.
blzn wrote: If you study weekly should easily attain A- average in your first year.
I hope I easily obtain an A- because I need a min. of A- to transfer to Queens or Schulich.

Overall, would you guys recommend that I take Ryerson first year than transfer to Queens/Schulich 2nd year, or just not do anything for a year then apply to Queens/Schulich for 2nd year? (I'm taking Calc in the summer so those are my only 2 options.)
Deal Fanatic
Jul 8, 2010
7205 posts
424 upvotes
York
RyersonTRSM wrote: I'm already getting a low 90 average in High school, so doing more work would really be harder than one would initially think.

Might sound weird, but do you write your own cheat sheets or is there some sketchy group you guys buy cheat sheets from?

Well I guess I'm at a loss then since I didn't take data.

I hope I easily obtain an A- because I need a min. of A- to transfer to Queens or Schulich.

Overall, would you guys recommend that I take Ryerson first year than transfer to Queens/Schulich 2nd year, or just not do anything for a year then apply to Queens/Schulich for 2nd year? (I'm taking Calc in the summer so those are my only 2 options.)
Why are you even remotely thinking of applying to Ryerson with a 90% average in high school?

You write your own cheat sheet for both stats courses.

You mean not do anything for a year and then apply to Queens/Schulich for 1st year? If so, yes, I would suggest that instead of going to Ryerson and applying for 2nd year at Queens/Schulich.
Mar 30, 2011
536 posts
133 upvotes
North York
I'll give you a more, nice precise answer. - I'll do a course-by-course rundown.

BUS100 - FAIL/PASS only - just an intro course that teaches you how to succeed in university (motivational speeches, study tips, resources you have around campus). The course isn't difficult, it just consumes your time writing small essays. Its not graded so its very easy.

Intro to Micro/ Macro - if you have already taken an AP course for this, the course is easier in Ryerson as compared to the AP course. Very easy courses as the math is minimal with some understanding the main concepts. Since your getting 90's right now ... I assume you actually "open" your textbooks? If you bother to open the books for this course you can easily B+ --> A+ if you do your weekly readings. Bonus: If you've taken gr12 economics, it makes the courses "slightly" easier.

Intro to business IT - another relatively easy course - you use excel and access which can pretty much give you 40% free marks. The only tough part here is the exam - you have to memorize over 9000 terms. VERY easy B+ and if you bother to read the chapters and try to memorize the obscure terms, an "A" is coming your way.

QMS102/202 (statistics)- If you've taken AP statistics, these 2 courses are a joke compared to it. Both courses have cribsheets so you can write whatever you want to your hearts content. Do some small effort and learn the calculator and you can easily walk out with A's for both courses. Data management in grade 12 will help here. The QMS courses at Ryerson are horrendous - similar to the profs who teach them. I unfortunately have taken pretty much every one of them and can say they put the business school to shame.

Intro to Financial + Managerial accounting - I am referring to the ACC100/406 version (non finance/ accounting majors) - both very easy courses. My grade 11/12 accounting teacher were harder than both of these courses. ACC100 is slightly weird as they remove debits/ credits and replace it with + and - .... which actually makes it more confusing for those who took high school accounting. Both these courses require more effort than the previous courses - do your weekly reading and online modules and you can easily walk out with A's. The accounting for finance/ accounting majors (ACC110/ACC410) might be easier. I've heard from 2-3 of my friends saying their actually easier (even though you do case studies in them) but require somewhat more effort.

Intro to global management - some concepts from the grade12 international business course come into play here - again this course is similar to the IT one previously. You have to memorize 5000 terms. There is a group component in this that is really ... annoying. Its just some simulation selling cameras - hopefully you get a good group. Easy A- and to get to the A+ level depends on how good your group is willing to do their work.

Human resources - depending on the prof - there is presentations and reports you have to hand in. Again you have to memorize a bunch of useless terms here. This course is EASY or HARD depending on the prof you have - pick the best one.

Intro to marketing - Just like the previous (once again...), you have to memorize hundreds of terms. There are major group projects in this one that can also determine if you get an "A" or not. Like the HR course previously, this course also depends on the prof - I had a bad one where everyone pretty much hated the guy. Thankfully I walked away with an A (memorizing ftw).

You also have to take 1 elective, a "lower liberal" (their like humanities / arts electives). These courses are a hit or miss as there are some really easy profs and extremely difficult ones (even more difficult to deal with than your core courses). You should ask around once your in Ryerson about these courses if your looking for the easy ones.

It is very easy to get an A average if you just do your readings. The courses themselves aren't hard - you hear many low average because most people in first year ... just don't try -- and plus its Ryerson (@ ted rogers), some of the people we receive aren't exactly the greatest.
RyersonTRSM wrote: Also, if you're in business management first year, what's your 1st year average and what was your grade 12 average?
4.06 and I entered Ryerson with a 90.6%. The stats/economics courses were 100% review for me as I've already taken their AP equivalents.