Cell Phones

Locked: How the f*** do you add a ringtone on an iPhone?

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2020 4:48 am
[OP]
Temp. Banned
Sep 15, 2014
2461 posts
1244 upvotes
Scarborough, ON

How the f*** do you add a ringtone on an iPhone?

This ought to be simple but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to do this.

I want to add this file:
http://figgis.agency/login/krieger/tone ... ty%201.m4r

as a ringtone on my iPhone.

The file is in .m4r format. It seems to have been explicitly created for use as a ringtone.

But how to actually get an iPhone to recognize and use it as one? 🤷‍♂️
This space for rent.
Share:
21 replies
Aug 12, 2018
45 posts
21 upvotes
You are not the only one got frustrated. iphone controls everything, android phone is a lot easier.You can assign any music file to a rigntone.
Deal Addict
Jul 21, 2008
1388 posts
1347 upvotes
GTA
If you want to customize stuff don’t get an iPhone.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18495 posts
2273 upvotes
Woodbridge
So changing the file to M4A to R doesn't work anymore?

I didn't bother when I had the XR & 11 Pro Max. I'm waiting for my 12 Pro Max...
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1084 posts
500 upvotes
I was looking to get around to this but y'all prompted me just now.

Open iTunes, connect your iPhone, click the phone icon to open it's menu and look for Tones. Copy/Paste the .m4r file into the Tones folder no conversion needed. On iPhone goto Settings, Sounds and Haptics, choose Ringtone, download all purchased Tones. Locate the tone, select and try. I think I got all the steps.
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4252 posts
1577 upvotes
GTA
gameon12 wrote: I was looking to get around to this but y'all prompted me just now.

Open iTunes, connect your iPhone, click the phone icon to open it's menu and look for Tones. Copy/Paste the .m4r file into the Tones folder no conversion needed. On iPhone goto Settings, Sounds and Haptics, choose Ringtone, download all purchased Tones. Locate the tone, select and try. I think I got all the steps.
Here's the 20 step process on android...
Copy file to /ringtones directory
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2143 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
shabby wrote: Here's the 20 step process on android...
Yeah yeah, we get it; Android is easier to customize.
Deal Addict
Aug 15, 2009
1175 posts
884 upvotes
Montreal
Devhux wrote: Yeah yeah, we get it; Android is easier to customize.
One simple step should be. Hence Android made it. Why can't Apple ?
Last edited by elpaso on Nov 9th, 2020 11:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15862 posts
4380 upvotes
Markham
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Nov 30, 2016
972 posts
1257 upvotes
Mississauga
Why do we always get the android comparisons? 2 different OSes. Most folks here know what they are getting into when they pick a device. They understand the tradeoffs as well.
Asking for support on an online forum (boy that thread title really captures the frustration you must feel), shouldn't be an invitation to troll.
There are certain things that IOS also does better than android, and this thread could easily devolve into a fanboys back and forth.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2143 posts
1209 upvotes
Calgary
^Exactly!

iPhone does backups way better than Android, but I don’t jump into Android threads mentioning “get an iPhone “ when someone talks about restoring something from an Android device.

“Stupid Android won’t even let me backup everything to a computer and restore it 100% in minutes! Should’ve bought an iPhone!” (Yes, that’s what fanboys on either side sound like.)
Deal Addict
Mar 18, 2015
1822 posts
767 upvotes
Antarctica
I would argue that iPhone does backups more elegantly and seamlessly but not necessarily "better".

With no iCloud beyond 5gb, copying media back and forth especially when you want to keep the same organization is tricky unless you use iTunes? On Android it's just copy folder structure over to PC/mac (or cloud if you are into that) and then copy back with the same organization intact.

The biggest issue I see is sms backup. WhatsApp, contacts, wifi settings, calendar, notes etc etc are all backed up fine from all the device changes I have gone through.
Nov 30, 2016
972 posts
1257 upvotes
Mississauga
Crichtonfan wrote: The biggest issue I see is sms backup. WhatsApp, contacts, wifi settings, calendar, notes etc etc are all backed up fine from all the device changes I have gone through.
Samsung's backups are OK I guess, not sure about other android devices.
The one thing I used to love about android rooting and now miss dearly was Titanium backup's ability to restore individual app's usage data. This allowed a level of seamless switching no on else offered. But with that convenience came a lot of security risks.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18495 posts
2273 upvotes
Woodbridge
So...

The M4R works or not? LOL
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
May 7, 2012
1084 posts
500 upvotes
bembol wrote: So...

The M4R works or not? LOL
Worked for me as I said earlier. OP?
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4386 posts
1489 upvotes
TheImp wrote: This ought to be simple but for the life of me, I can’t figure out how to do this.

I want to add this file:
http://figgis.agency/login/krieger/tone ... ty%201.m4r

as a ringtone on my iPhone.

The file is in .m4r format. It seems to have been explicitly created for use as a ringtone.

But how to actually get an iPhone to recognize and use it as one? 🤷‍♂️
Here you go!

https://www.google.com/search?q=how+to+ ... e&ie=UTF-8

Simple.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Aug 11, 2018
857 posts
713 upvotes
shabby wrote: Here's the 20 step process on android...
man you android folks are annoying as ****. why you need to come in to every iPhone related thread shows your insecurities. just stfu, no one gives a shit that you have an android and no one cares to use an inferior system because "iT's CuStOmIzAbLe"
Deal Addict
Jul 2, 2001
4252 posts
1577 upvotes
GTA
idontwantausername wrote: man you android folks are annoying as ****. why you need to come in to every iPhone related thread shows your insecurities. just stfu, no one gives a shit that you have an android and no one cares to use an inferior system because "iT's CuStOmIzAbLe"
Salty much? Lol