Students

Locked: How is Fanshawe college?

[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
106 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga

How is Fanshawe college?

Been thinking about attending Fanshawe College, which is located in London Ontario. Unfortunately there isn't a whole lot of information on this school, except for the KPI reports.

So here is a forum post hoping I would get some feedback from people who went or currently at Fanshawe to share their insights on how good/bad the school is.
38 replies
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2009
1058 posts
50 upvotes
London ON
what would you like to know?

im taking the computer technology program
class sizes are decent (20-30 people)
most teachers try to give you 1 day a week for homework/questions

the school itself is easy to navigate once you've been there for a month or so
2 main bus stops with 3+ buses each
parking can get expensive at 3.25 per day :mad:

lots of food choices
the outback,pizza pizza, mr sub couple variety stores on campus and across the street theres a 2for1 pizza store + macs and down the road theres 10+ fast food chains
[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
106 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
jordanr1987 wrote: what would you like to know?

lots of food choices
the outback,pizza pizza, mr sub couple variety stores on campus and across the street theres a 2for1 pizza store + macs and down the road theres 10+ fast food chains
Interesting you bought that program up, since I'm thinking of taking the same thing. Do the professors do their job well and have good knowledge of the subject? Is there lots of hands-on learning or lots of lectures? Do you actually find the information to be useful? How do the laptops work "alongside" with the course? Is programming a big part of the course?

TL :D R - Do you regret your decision to attend there? :lol:
[OP]
Jun 27, 2008
106 posts
4 upvotes
Mississauga
Just wanted to bump this because I really need an answer soon. It's either this or Seneca college for Computer Technician/Technology class.
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1361 upvotes
I graduated computer technician from Fanshawe.

The teachers were good overall.

The program itself was pretty poorly assembled. The Nortel certificate is about as valuable as toilet paper. They forced us to "rent" laptops first year, which ended up costing as much as a new laptop. The A+ and CCNA both need to be integrated with the program. After all, this is Fanshawe College. It wouldn't kill them to set something up with CompTIA and Cisco to make sure we leave the course with the proper certs. As a result, most people graduated without certifications and since they weren't stressed, it was completely up to you to get them. I didn't bother.

The co-op was a joke, as half the people who signed up didn't get placements.

They tried to bump all the students into the 3-year program through verbal consent, which was poorly documented. I actually had to opt out of the 3rd year and I wasn't sure why, since I'd only signed up for the 2-year diploma. This makes me think they were after another year of money.

Overall, I'd rate the experience 6/10. There were some really excellent instructors (Mike Costa, Norm Tiltman, Denise Seguin) that made up for the lack of course direction.
May 15, 2008
238 posts
the school is ok, but the girls there are sooo easy ;-)
Jan 28, 2017
1 posts
Hi all, I'm a newbie here and also going to apply Fanshawe in Cyber Security major.However I'm confusing in comparision between this college and Computer network and investigation in Fleming. Could you share any information about this major, plz??
Looking forward...!!!!
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Make this the thread for Fanshawe because there is none now?
If the post or comment helps or delights you, please CLICK that LIKE BUTTON!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Swanbeck: This is an outrage!
Deal Guru
Dec 7, 2009
13885 posts
1361 upvotes
MarkyX wrote: Interesting you bought that program up, since I'm thinking of taking the same thing. Do the professors do their job well and have good knowledge of the subject? Is there lots of hands-on learning or lots of lectures? Do you actually find the information to be useful? How do the laptops work "alongside" with the course? Is programming a big part of the course?

TL :D R - Do you regret your decision to attend there? :lol:
Some teachers are good, some aren't great. The material is fairly easy and straightforward. If you took 12U/M courses in high school, you will have absolutely no problem with the workload. The information is useful in a holistic way, but finding a direct application for it is up to you. Programming is not a very big part of the CTN/CTY streams,.
In a perfect system, corporations would fear the government and the government would fear the people. - David Wong

Check out caRpetbomBer's picks in this thread.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
This is only a housekeeping post.
KristaV93180 wrote: My son is waiting to hear from St. Clair about MLS. I'm guessing he won't likely get in as his average is at about 85% and compared to what I have read on here it probably won't be enough. He has been accepted into the Pre Health at St. Clair and Chemical Laboratory Science at Fanshawe as well. He didn't care for Fanshawe College at the open house though. We will just wait and see!
Meiji: Ambassador Swanbeck, I have concluded that your treaty is NOT in the best interests of my people. So sorry, but you may not.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Nationalized Paramedic Programs Last Updated Nov 16th, 2007 9:03 pm
samm on Mar 31st, 2008 wrote: did you apply for Medical Radiation at UWO/Fanshawe? This year was their first year having the program. Since you applied to UWO, ill just like to mention that.. i dont know why it keeps going up. when i first got accepted, it was 82% cutoff. but mac does have the largest medical radiation program in canada
Aestas on Mar 31st, 2008 wrote: No, I didn't... I haven't heard of the program until you mentioned it and I can't find it on OUAC? Would it be listed under Fanshawe and the college application site? Because I don't think it's listed under Western... but the media and nursing programs are listed...
samm on Mar 31st, 2008 wrote: http://www1.fanshawec.ca/en/MRT1/
hmm, weird how its only a diploma program. anyways, it should be a good program.
at mac, we get both a degree+diploma.
CSK'sMom on Oct 12th, 2008 12:35 pm wrote: We just helped our son's girlfriend who's home from Fanshawe for Thanksgiving apply last night. She's not on OSAP and didn't know a thing about it. Apparently it was not even listed on the Fanshawe student portal from what she said.
CSK'sMom at Oct 15th, 2008 10:11 am wrote: Our oldest's girlfriend is going to Fanshawe for photography. She plans to eventually get into forensic photography. She says the program is great the only complaint she has is that everything is 100% digital and she misses the darkroom.
km190103 at Nov 6th, 2008 11:24 pm wrote: go to Fanshaw for their urban planning program...alot of technical work..i wish i did it!
well one of my friend's boyfriend went to Waterloo and now he is an urban designer..i could be an urban designer once i graduate...you just have to learn everything under the urban planning umbrella
help_questions at Feb 18th, 2009 10:12 am wrote: from:http://cp24.com/servlet/an/local/CTVNew ... b=CP24Home
University of Western Ontario warns of job cuts, tuition hikes
The Associated Press
LONDON, Ont. — The University of Western Ontario is considering early retirements, job cuts and tuition hikes to cope with a $41 million drop in revenue by 2011. Budget recommendations will be considered by the university senate late this month and the school budget will be set in April. The downturn in stock markets has pummelled investments which the university relies on for its endowments. As of Dec. 31, the university says the value of its endowments was $11.1 million less than the originally donated amounts. Western hopes to receive some grants in the upcoming provincial budget and will further expand graduate enrolment to attract funding.

Across town in London, Ont., Fanshawe College faces a budget shortfall of $6.5 million, a situation that may also trigger layoffs
punkprincess at Aug 9th, 2009 10:20 am wrote: I kinda did uni and college at the same time (just graduated from my degree past april)... I did my degree during the normal year at UWO and did part of a college diploma at Fanshawe during the summer overloading and did 2 half credit UWO courses. The scheduling was a bit tight but it worked out because I ended up taking 2 Fanshawe courses online and the 2 half credit UWO courses online as well (in case you aren't sure what online courses are, basically, you can log onto an online classroom system at any time to, even in the middle of the night!)

I could have finished my marketing diploma if I started maybe 1 or 2 years earlier (if I devoted my summers in college).
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 16th, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
CSK'sMom at Sep 19th, 2008 2:38 pm wrote: There are even major corporations out there that are no longer hiring uni grads but taking only college grads...
poedua wrote: Depends on the type of job they are hiring for I suppose. For example, if it's for a business related career, I don't think anyone who comes out a college business program like Sheridan, Fanshawe College, etc. has nearly the same credentials as someone who has gone through a B.Comm. at say Queens or Western or U of T. Generally speaking, the demands of comparable programs ( i.e in this case business ) are much tougher at university than at college and universities also tend to attract the brightest students.
CSK'sMom at Sep 20th, 2008 5:02 pm wrote: Well I can tell you that one large multinational corporation will not even look at uni grads these days. All their hires are college grads. In this case there is a uni degree in the field and a college diploma program as well and it is business related.
True poedua, my beef is with our generation instilling in todays generation that a uni degree is the be all and end all. Your own post above seems to insinuate that trades should only a second choice for those that didn't get into uni, even if you did try to not make it look that way with the italicised "some". That is so backwards thinking IMO. We see it in this very forum that hoards of kids that are basically forced into certain uni programs because it's the only thing that is deemed acceptable by their parents. Those same kids are then posting how much they hate their programs but the dollars will be worth it. They then come back a year later posting that they can't get a job in their field and are working at call centers and the like. I feel bad for them because they are so deep into student loans before they realize and will live like paupers for the next 10 or 15 years to pay them off and then really begin life...
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
at Oct 21st, 2008 3:08 pm wrote: by cutcopypaste
Alright I need some advice or just to vent and a word of warning to others. I graduated undergrad in 2007, took a year off and I am now back at college. I applied to OSAP again and of course was happy that while I was a full-time student I wouldn't have to accrue anymore interest and hopefully make a nice lump sum payment when I graduate. What I didn't realize is that if I didn't fill out a interest T#whatever sheet before starting school I would have to pay interest until they receive that form.
So I couldn't pick up my OSAP right away because there were some issues with it, some of which were completely beyond my control (administration not forwarding things to one another properly) and I sorta assumed that since I was in school and had applied to OSAP that would automatically put me in interest free status. But not so. Not so at all. My automatic debit kicked in at the end of september and I kicked myself for not dealing with it sooner, then went to wait for 45 minutes to talk to someone in the financial aid office at my school (fanshawe college). I put in that form and they'd forward it.. saying if I had physically picked up my loan it would have cancelled the interest at that point. whatever. i lost 150 dollars but it's my fault i guess for not memorizing all the fine print on my loan documents or something? whoooo.
So today I call the NLSC (service? hahaha). They tell me that they got the form from my college on the 15th of October confirming that I have been a student as of September 2nd (And as far as i can tell therefore eligible for interest free status that whole time) . And they inform me that they will NOT put me on interest free status until I pay for the interest that accumulated between my last payment and October 15th. It makes no difference that I have OBVIOUSLY been a student since sept 2nd? "no" wow. I am so livid, and I was going to complain or see what options I had for some recourse and then I realize.. wait.. I owe them lots of money, so I basically am their b1tch. They have me by the balls and they can do whatever they want to me whether it's "fair" or "honest" or god forbid humanistic.

So a good life lesson for the naive youth, then... the capitalist system is by its very nature a total effing arshole that has no desire to help anybody at all ever for any reason if they can possibly avoid it. Oh good.

So now my two concerns a) can I do anything about this? if the answer is no, as I suspect, then b) can I get back at 'em somehow? get one over on them? abuse the system? because they have no morals and do not deserve any respect.. also make me feel like feces, but let's not make this personal.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
This is a housekeeping post.
jordanr1987 wrote: what would you like to know?
lots of food choices
Places to eat around uwo - fanshaw Last Updated Sep 19th, 2005 12:25 am
adehbone on Mar 19th, 2008 8:29 pm wrote: Sagueen is, I have seen of the other rez's they are dead at times.
Downtown london (wherever the bars are) though is party time, though you get alot of fanshawe folk.
UWO Engineer on Mar 15th, 2010 7:48 pm in The University of Western Ontario Thread wrote: Metro in Cherry Hill Mall but don't go there! Go to No Frills off of Wonderland/Fanshawe (best deals)
zyphere on Apr 10th, 2010 12:53 pm in The University of Western Ontario Thread wrote: Thought that's an A&P.. did they change it?
There's also a supermarket near Wonderland and Sarnia (slightly north of it), can't remember if it's a Metro or something else.
The Nofrills mentioned is a good place but I'm not sure how you'd get there by bus. The Loblaws at Masonville isn't too far and you can get there without having to transfer buses.
_Allan_ on Sep 4th, 2011 9:50 pm wrote: I thought the Post-Secondary Student Metropass was included in tuition?
I know at Fanshawe and UWO in London, it's 100% paid by tuition, and you use the same pass all year long (8-12 months, depending on course/school.)
medalgo on Sep 4th, 2011 10:25 pm wrote: That's not going to happen in a big city, they'll milk everyone that needs it since they know they'll pay up anyways. Most of U of T/Ryerson students are commuters, TTC can only lose on giving ANY discount.
In a smaller city like London, a lot of students don't have an absolute need for a transit pass (most are from out of town who live on/around campus) so they force everyone to buy it at a cheaper rate (I think <$200 for the year) to keep the system going.
I've been to both Western and U of T.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 17th, 2020 12:20 am, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Yankees 1903 on Jun 21st, 2010 9:49 pm wrote: Why not try Fanshawe college since your in London. See if they will let you apply with your HS grades to their nursing program.
IceBlueShoes on Jun 21st, 2010 11:35 pm wrote: You won't be able. They'll have access to your full academic record.
See below.

If you lie and get caught, it'll show up on your academic record. So the next time you try to apply it'll show up that you got kicked out for lieing. Good luck getting in after that.

Normally I'd say, sure like for a job, but if it's a small industry, you're shooting yourself in the foot if you lie. People talk.
If it was lieing to get a retail job, go for it. That's not the end of the world.

It was a while ago since I did it, but I believe your info is tied into your SIN #.

I still think it'd be easier to switch into another program at UWO though.
shannn on Jun 21st, 2010 10:21 pm wrote: My friend did that in Ontario a few years ago, almost got expelled from his original university (i.e. also would not be accepted to any university if this was the case), and his application to the new school was immediately rejected. He got off with a stern warning.

So, I wouldn't do that
cloneman on Jun 21st, 2010 10:34 pm wrote: A stern warning? Yeah I hear those can be brutal :lol:

Like I said it depends on information sharing between the universities. It might be only in Quebec that universities don't share the transcript with each other.

I applied as a CEGEP student, never mentioning my epic fail for 1 semester at another university. It's a rather zero-risk loophole in most cases. What are they gonna do? OMG YOU TRY TO TRICK US WE BAN YOU FOREVER NOW!!!!

You could easily "forget" to mention you went to university on the application form. All I'm saying is, the risk of anything negative (aside from being rejected) happening is low.

It's kind of like lying for a job interview. Worst case, you don't get the job :lol: .

Of course I'm exaggerating a bit. There's always some risk in doing things like this, you gotta have the balls and you gotta be prepared.

All things considered, you may be better off speaking to 3-4 advisors from different universities and different departments. They will likely recommend you take a program that has low requirements, (like a certificate program) and then transfer in after a year. Your time wont be wasted really, because you can take some of the "REAL" classes anyway, afaik, and transfer the credits once you've proven yourself (1 year).

Above all, please actually do speak to 2-3 advisors. Bad advising can ruin your career IMO. Also don't tell them about my loophole. I intend to graduate and no one must discover my secret :^)

Good Luck!
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 16th, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Syne on Jan 21st, 2010 10:20 pm wrote:
I don't know. I've always stayed off campus because for some reason, residence(s) can't stay competitive with the off-campus market. They overcharge and since I've always paid for my own education, I can't justify the cost.
That said, I've had some really wicked parties in the student housing areas around Fanshawe and UWO. But spending $500 + utilities to share a pad with 3-4 other people is a complete rip-off.
I can spend $100 more and split with my girlfriend, all-inclusive with parking and be able to walk around in my underwear and do my homework in peace. Essentially I save $200 .mo in rent, and the only downfall is that I have to drive or bus to school.
I say if your parents are footing the bill and you want the typical freshman party experience and feel you can keep your grades up, then give it a go. Otherwise, I don't see any advantage.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 16th, 2020 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
Roconne on Sep 12th, 2010 in How Do I Go From College To University? 10:18 am wrote: While that site does have a lot of good info, it doesn't appear to have everything. I did a 1 year program at Fanshawe College and then transfered to UWO. I don't see that transfer option on the site though, so your best bet (if you don't see what you want) is to talk to the guidance counselor at the college and also maybe the Registrar at the university you want to transfer to.
Syne on Sep 13th, 2010 7:22 am wrote: I keep hearing about this, but I did 2 programs at Fanshawe and wasn't eligible for a single transfer credit at UWO. Can you tell me how you managed to do this? I've basically been told that none of my College education is 1:1 with anything the University offers.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 16th, 2020 6:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
CalmThatCat on May 8th, 2012 8:56 pm wrote: I'm in somewhat the same boat, right out of high school I went to college, under the impression I'd spend the rest of my life in computer programming and engineering. Finished first semester, got to second and lost the flame. No longer was it fun and I didn't have the same interest as I used too.
Finished that year, and went to my second hobby... science. Applied to Fanshawe's pre-health not knowing exactly where I wanted to go with it but figured I'd take the year to figure out exactly what I wanted to do. The fanshawe credits didn't transfer to anything other than fanshawe courses basically, so I signed up for SCH4U in night school at the Continuing Ed school in London.
I now have an 89% avg in SCH4U so far with only a few weeks left, have been accepted into MLS for 2012 and know that science and lab work is my calling.
In summation, yes, go for it, do the SCH4U and get into the program you want. In the meantime, you can always look into colleges or universities in your area, you could take a night school course, or just one chemistry course, or bio etc, get an idea of how you do in a post-secondary science course.
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 17th, 2020 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Mar 6, 2015
1505 posts
245 upvotes
haixin on Aug 14th, 2010 11:11 am in What University to choose? wrote: Hi guys,
just wanted to know your opinions. I am a Fanshawe College Graduate and I have a few options laid out for me[...]
aaltak on Oct 11th, 2010 12:16 am in Transferring from College to University wrote: So basically in 2008 I got accepted into Medical Sciences @ UWO, but unfortunately i didn't make it and ended up failing my first year due to personal reasons.
The only possible choice back then was General Arts and Science @ Fanshawe College so i got in and applied to Western Again in December last year but my first semester GPA was something around 2.75, and i got declined again because Western needs a first semester gpa of 3.3 and I ended up with a 3.17 Final GPA @ Fashawe.

Now am taking my second year General Arts and Science Program @ Fanshawe and am dying to get back into university education again ! so basically am wondering what are my options ? [...]
_Allan_ on Aug 11th, 2011 8:55 pm wrote: I was denied entrance by Fanshawe because M3 - Grade 11 or 12 Math (C, U or U/C).
Tell me where I require Trig / Calculus etc in repairing computers, or running networks etc?
Is there a possible way around this, as a mature (30+) student? [...]
Last edited by cybercavalier on Mar 17th, 2020 12:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)