• Apr 10th, 2022 1:45 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
81 upvotes
oshawa

how far up north can you go in ontario

with the covid shutdowns, I was thinking to go up as north as possible in Ontario. how can up can I drive or take transit?
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
20 replies
Jul 18, 2007
229 posts
323 upvotes
Markham
Pickle lake should be about as far north as you can get on year round maintained roads (non winter roads). I've worked around Peawanuck but I remember that being a fly in community (as many northern commuties are)

expect 22hrs + in the car if leaving from the GTA

Keep in mind northern communities are unlike anything in southern ontario.
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
17877 posts
1441 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
junkone wrote: with the covid shutdowns, I was thinking to go up as north as possible in Ontario. how can up can I drive or take transit?
when you go "as north as possible" in Ontario, you'll end up in communities which resemble 3rd world countries.

why would you want to do that?
Deal Fanatic
Oct 27, 2009
5167 posts
7507 upvotes
Ontario
Greyhound shut down its routes last month...I have not heard of any resumptions.
Ube pie-yum! It coordinates with Pantone's colour of the year for 2022.😃
Deal Expert
Jul 5, 2004
26335 posts
5343 upvotes
Transit doesn't go up north. You could get there by driving, but what's your plan then? You're going to go to a remote community and do what? You won't be welcome there and you'll have nowhere to sleep. It's also very remote up there and very, very different than life in southern Ontario
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5375 posts
1930 upvotes
Abbottabad
OP is Christopher McCandless 2.0
Deal Addict
Dec 7, 2011
2771 posts
1062 upvotes
Whitehorse
If you want to use public transportation, you can start at Sault St. Marie and take the Algoma Central Railway, then connect at Cochrane to the Ontario Northland to Moosonee.

But I'm not sure if this is currently allowed when you don't have a good reason to go to Moosonee.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2466 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA West
junkone wrote: with the covid shutdowns, I was thinking to go up as north as possible in Ontario. how can up can I drive or take transit?
For practical purposes Highway 11 is the northern boundary for driving trips in Ontario. Even then, there are slim pickings when it comes to eateries and accommodations. There are also long distances between the paper mill towns and you will treasure a McDonalds or Tim Hortons when you find one. Although the last time I was up there some 10 years ago there was a good restaurant in French-speaking Hearst. Avoid driving at night because of the risk of hitting wild animals, especially moose. There are also a lot of trucks that prefer this over the Trans-Canada route.

If
Deal Guru
Jul 12, 2003
12309 posts
4800 upvotes
Toronto
And OP wants to go away to remote ara when the cites is reopening.
Why don't you do it 2 months earlier.

People just don't have better thing to do.
Hope your car doesn't break down. It may takes you a while to get someone to help and hopefilly there is still reception.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Addict
Sep 2, 2010
1767 posts
810 upvotes
Bummer's Roost
So many misconceptions about the best part of Ontario, but not all of it is wrong. Guys, really just stay home because if you break down or need an emergency manicure you are SOL.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 4, 2010
5942 posts
5124 upvotes
konfusion666 wrote: when you go "as north as possible" in Ontario, you'll end up in communities which resemble 3rd world countries.

why would you want to do that?
That's a pretty ignorant and judgmental comment. Many people go up north to camp in the backcountry.

As for OP - if have never been past Barrie before now is not the time start, especially not going up "north as possible". You have to knowledge about the area, as well as skills, equipment, etc. Based on your post, something tells me you probably don't have any of that - best to stay put especially if you're only reason is due to COVID.
Deal Guru
Apr 23, 2007
10100 posts
1343 upvotes
Mississauga
My wife works in Wawa... 13 hours north of GTA. U wanna go further than that? Lol
RFD 43-0-0
Ebay 37-0-0
|Dance.Flirt.Music.Chill|
Mar 26, 2013
423 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
I can vouch for this such as Sioux Lookout Ontario.. 19 hours from Toronto by car
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
20944 posts
19224 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Hey ... I am all in favour of Cdns seeing as much of Canada as possible

(But WAKE UP CALL ... Most of this GREAT COUNTRY has little to nothing in common with the GTA ... and the further you get away from the “Golden Horseshoe” the more you realize that. Expect more rural, more rugged, less services ... BUT MORE DIVERSITY in the scenery & the people who live East to West, and esp North. We are ALL CDNS ... but just like the land, we are VASTLY DIFFERENT )

All that said ...

THIS IS NOT THE TIME TO TRAVEL

Infact not only will you be NOT WELCOME ... in some instances places will be CLOSED TO OUTSIDERS

This is true in the Far North, the Maritimes, and even yes ... in some remote communities in Northern Ontario

Covid is scary enough “down south” ... it’s far more serious “up north” where there are less services ... and a REAL FEAR of potential spread wiping out entire communities / ethnic groups etc

Do everyone a favour ... STAYCATION In your own city / region
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2010
5375 posts
1930 upvotes
Abbottabad
Wonder where OP went. It's been two months. Hope he is aight.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2003
1262 posts
81 upvotes
oshawa
hahaha not far. life has its ways in changing my priorities
if you dont have an answer, dont repond to my thread.
I need answers, and thats why i use redflagdeals forums.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 13, 2010
7396 posts
1569 upvotes
Scarborough
You can always leave canada for asian countries that are open for tourism and welcome you, compared to canada where people are now against accomodate their fellow countrymen.....covid19 has exposed this “unity” in the western world , lolz
It was all just a sham.
Canadian - no access to your own country lolz
Deal Addict
Mar 3, 2009
1272 posts
681 upvotes
Ottawa, ON
apnayloags wrote: You can always leave canada for asian countries that are open for tourism and welcome you, compared to canada where people are now against accomodate their fellow countrymen.....covid19 has exposed this “unity” in the western world , lolz
It was all just a sham.
Canadian - no access to your own country lolz
Are there any Asian countries that are open right now? I only ask since I see Japan is still closed and countries like Singapore and Thailand are closed.

I'd love to go somewhere this winter even if I have to self isolate for 14 days on the way back - but many Asian countries seem to be closed to foreigners.
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2466 posts
2002 upvotes
GTA West
iamskyhigh wrote: Wonder where OP went. It's been two months. Hope he is aight.
Sleeping with the mooses? Probably got lost on a logging road . . .

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)