how fast a builder can finish a detached house

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 18th, 2020 9:46 am
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes

how fast a builder can finish a detached house

may be most commonly asked question or repeated one. i was one among the buyers who received COVID Delay notices supposed to be September but now builders says he is ready give by nov 1st week ..its almost august and the builder didnt even touch the lot yet

is it possible to finish a house that fast in 3 months ? i will be surprised because i just did google search and everywhere it says 6 months to 9 months in average in canada
20 replies
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10216 posts
5441 upvotes
Paris
mattdominic wrote: may be most commonly asked question or repeated one. i was one among the buyers who received COVID Delay notices supposed to be September but now builders says he is ready give by nov 1st week ..its almost august and the builder didnt even touch the lot yet

is it possible to finish a house that fast in 3 months ? i will be surprised because i just did google search and everywhere it says 6 months to 9 months in average in canada
At the Toronto Home Show in around 2003 I watched them build an entire house inside the Convention centre in 6 days. Lights, no plumbing or basement but full finishes otherwise

Edit: I was a vendor and it was during setup
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes
Jerico wrote: At the Toronto Home Show in around 2003 I watched them build an entire house inside the Convention centre in 6 days. Lights, no plumbing or basement but full finishes otherwise

Edit: I was a vendor and it was during setup
oh ya china built a big covid hospital in 10 days ..we are not talking under those circumstances but from a ontario home builder with all normal offerings to a common man to live in a house ... if what ur saying is the case the closing dates for every home will be less than a month
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10216 posts
5441 upvotes
Paris
mattdominic wrote: oh ya china built a big covid hospital in 10 days ..we are not talking under those circumstances but from a ontario home builder with all normal offerings to a common man to live in a house ... if what ur saying is the case the closing dates for every home will be less than a month
I’m saying when motivated it can be done in a week. Or it could be a year. No idea how motivated your home builder is.

A subdivision near me was over 5 years.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45569 posts
6047 upvotes
Richmond Hill
4-6 months is the norm from anecdotal evidence for a cookie-cutter home. This is assuming all the infra is in place already. 3 months is definitely possible but leaning towards unlikely, especially if you have any special upgrades at the decor center.
Deal Addict
Jan 19, 2011
2987 posts
1234 upvotes
Foundation excavation and pour 2 to 4 days, framing and roof sheeting 7 to 12 days, electrical and plumbing, along with exterior veneer, be it brick or other material, 7 to 12 days, interior insulation, drywall, mudding 4 to 7 days, interior doors, bathrooms, kitchen and other items, 7 to 12 days, painting, trim, and after paint fixtures, final prep, 4 to 7 days.

quite do-able in anywhere from 6 to 8 weeks, for a motivated and organized builder but that is about the fastest you would ever see... typical construction of a new home is done over 10 to 14 weeks or so for an organized builder with few delays
"The truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it, ignorance may deride it, but in the end; there it is."
Just a guy who dabbles in lots of stuff learning along the way. I do have opinions, and readily share them!
Deal Fanatic
Dec 20, 2018
5174 posts
4234 upvotes
mattdominic wrote: may be most commonly asked question or repeated one. i was one among the buyers who received COVID Delay notices supposed to be September but now builders says he is ready give by nov 1st week ..its almost august and the builder didnt even touch the lot yet

Around 4 months if their trades are available when they need to be and they're in full construction mode with full subdivision going. Really depends how busy they are
Deal Addict
Aug 28, 2010
1257 posts
321 upvotes
Toronto
MOVE THAT BUS! ......forgot the show name but yea full home built in 3 days?
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1037 posts
592 upvotes
London, On
porchemasi wrote: MOVE THAT BUS! ......forgot the show name but yea full home built in 3 days?
First thing I thought of when I saw the thread title. Extreme Makeover Home Edition. We used to watch it back when they used to renovate a house when they sent the family on vacation for a week. I remember the first time they actually demo'd and built from new thinking that was incredible. But it's made for TV and even though they make it seem like a quick decision on how to do things, you know it's all lined up in advance, building department inspectors, a ton of volunteers, kitchens all ordered in advance. As it moved along, it became "American's Sappiest Home Makeover" and you knew they were going to rebuild, so I started watching just the last few minutes to see the new house. When the first half of the show was the backstory on the firefighter dad who died on duty or the soldier mom raising 7 adopted kids, I lost interest. I did see that they brought the show back on one the cable channels with a new crew of people.
Deal Addict
Dec 18, 2017
1037 posts
592 upvotes
London, On
My second house, built in 2002, was a 4 level backsplit with 1 1/2 car garage. Deal signed mid July. Hole dug on Thanksgiving weekend, we moved in the weekend after Rememberance Day, 5 weeks I think it was. And there was a lot of time I would go by there and not see anything going on. Wasn't a complicated house for sure. The builder did ask us at one point for 2 extra weeks, and we checked with the people who were buying our place who wanted all our appliances for the trouble, so we told the builder no unless he replaced our appliances. He just moved some people around and got ours done. I think that because it was in the fall that it was easier for them to get trades lined up easier.
Deal Addict
Jun 12, 2008
1209 posts
675 upvotes
Ripley
Depends on the weather.

I would not want a house built in 8 weeks. Quality should come before speed.
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2007
2031 posts
147 upvotes
Toronto
No, because everything will be rushed and corners will be cut.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes
zeddy wrote: Depends on the weather.

I would not want a house built in 8 weeks. Quality should come before speed.
Good point this is my major concern .. how do we say that house finished very fast is less quality when compared to same house finished in more duration .. having said that both the house go through same level inspection before closing .
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10216 posts
5441 upvotes
Paris
mattdominic wrote: Good point this is my major concern .. how do we say that house finished very fast is less quality when compared to same house finished in more duration .. having said that both the house go through same level inspection before closing .
Why do you think this? The plumber takes 4 days if he comes this week, or next week, or the week after that. Delaying his arrival doesnt make him work any faster or slower, or any better or worse.

Quality of a new built home is low if its takes 6 weeks or 6 months.
[OP]
Feb 16, 2017
536 posts
229 upvotes
Jerico wrote: Why do you think this? The plumber takes 4 days if he comes this week, or next week, or the week after that. Delaying his arrival doesnt make him work any faster or slower, or any better or worse.

Quality of a new built home is low if its takes 6 weeks or 6 months.
>>Quality of a new built home is low if its takes 6 weeks or 6 months.
how do you say that its low ..sorry not getting your point
Deal Guru
Jan 25, 2007
10216 posts
5441 upvotes
Paris
mattdominic wrote: >>Quality of a new built home is low if its takes 6 weeks or 6 months.
how do you say that its low ..sorry not getting your point
“Builder grade” is a nice way of saying something is garbage in the contracting world.

It doesnt matter if you hire cheap piece labour to do the job today or tomorrow, with a gap till the next guy coming in 5 mins or 5 weeks, they are going to do the same low quality job as that’s all the builders will pay for labour.
Oct 25, 2014
165 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto, ON
If you don't count the idle time the house sat with nothing being done, I think a builder can typically finish a house in 1 month or less.
real world thing obviously don't work perfectly when you try to coordinate with 10 different trades
Jul 15, 2019
612 posts
457 upvotes
It depends, but the thing is most home builders have their contractors come in stages... and they don't start the next aspect of the project right away.

For example, there is a development by me, and once they pour the footings, those sit there for a few weeks... then after they pour the foundation walls, I don't seem them doing any more work to the home until a month or two has passed by. After this step I generally see some pretty fast progress to framing the home, and putting the shingles on... then it sits there for a good while again. Just to say that most of the time it's not bam bam bam... But, it can be done.
Last edited by freeman93 on Jul 18th, 2020 10:27 am, edited 1 time in total.
Oct 6, 2005
237 posts
96 upvotes
Montreal
I built my own house in 2014, it took me 2 months to build it. But I had all my contractor lineup properly and sometime I had 4-5 different contractors on-site, they were not happy but I had a deadline.
Mine is a 1800 sqft bungalow, finished basement, finished garage.

Here in my area I would say between 2 to 4 months to build a decent detached house.