Food & Drink

How to file a report on someone running an illegal home food catering service?

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 4th, 2022 2:37 pm
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
177 posts
25 upvotes

How to file a report on someone running an illegal home food catering service?

Since the pandemic hit a lot of people have been trying to sell goods from their homes, specifically food to the public to make ends meet. I know Ontario has relaxed the rules for certain low risk items, like breads, and most baked goods which don't require temperature control. Cookies, muffins, cupcakes etc I understand is fair game. No certified kitchen required.

However for someone to be selling bowls of noodle soups, plates of fried rice, and platters of whatever you want to name, that's pushing the boundaries. I wouldn't not make a big stink about this if I didn't haven't an extremely unpleasant experience with one of these so-called home cooks, that delivered an order of Thai Curry to my front door, only to find that the outside of the container was coated in dog hair! When I reported it to the seller, he brushed it off and said how it was not possible, every order is inspected individually before it leaves his residence. The problem didn't resignate from his home kitchen. Pouting Face

Here is what I do know about this person that's operating this so called business from his home.

- He is married, with 2 young kids.
- He owns 2 dogs
- He operates out of a condo, not a house.

Just from the first 2 points alone would likely disqualify him from his home kitchen ever being certified. Is it impossible? I guess there is the minute chance that he has a separate hand wash station installed? It's possible that he could have a dedicated fridge just for his side hustle? If the guy is playing by the rules, then shame on me. I don't think he is, and if he didn't just brush off my complaint I wouldn't make such a big deal out of this.

Do I have a right to be pissed, and annoyed? This may have happened to other potential customers. What do you think?
57 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4700 posts
2756 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Mind your own business.

If you had a good experience, would you still complain? And I bet this wasnt a first time you placed an order there, did you.
Let people make a living and if you dont like the food / have bad experience, there is PLENTY of high quality restaurants out there.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19312 posts
6284 upvotes
Toronto
cRaZyRaVr wrote: Mind your own business.

If you had a good experience, would you still complain? And I bet this wasnt a first time you placed an order there, did you.
Let people make a living and if you dont like the food / have bad experience, there is PLENTY of high quality restaurants out there.
Laws are laws. They are there for a reason.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
[OP]
Jul 29, 2017
177 posts
25 upvotes

Mind my own business?

No it was my first and only time placing and order.

How about the next time you place an order for delivery I guess you'll be fine when it comes with a side of golden retriever hair.

Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 10th, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: english/french only
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49399 posts
12942 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
You should mind your own business. If you had no problems using a side hustle type food biz, you shouldn’t try to get revenge on him when home food biz stuff happens.

It should be expected and thats the risk you take. I highly doubt you thought it was a legal catering biz in the 1st place.

Its like buying crack. Then wanting to report them to the police because your crack was cut too many times and didn’t get you high.
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2012
19312 posts
6284 upvotes
Toronto
UrbanPoet wrote: Its like buying crack. Then wanting to report them to the police because your crack was cut too many times and didn’t get you high.
No. It's not like that at all.
It's more like actually paying rent for a restaurant space only to have these illegal pirates, ones that are not even being properly inspected continue to operate, stealing a bite out of the restaurant's bottom line.
Shut them down or play fair game. If they are going to operate out of the home, at least have them properly inspected, along with anything else that would make them legal.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it!
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
49399 posts
12942 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
playnicee1 wrote: No. It's not like that at all.
It's more like actually paying rent for a restaurant space only to have these illegal pirates, ones that are not even being properly inspected continue to operate, stealing a bite out of the restaurant's bottom line.
Shut them down or play fair game. If they are going to operate out of the home, at least have them properly inspected, along with anything else that would make them legal.
Nah. Wrong.
If youre gonna put it like that. Oh i have a regular job that doesn’t break the law. I should report all these drug dealers who i bought crack off of because its illegal and the crack made me junky…

If you Buy something illegal. Especially something blatantly skirting the regulations…
You should accept and take these risk.

What youre explaining is a whole other story.

“ I wouldn't not make a big stink about this if I didn't haven't an extremely unpleasant experience with one of these so-called home cooks”

So buddy buys some illegal fried rice off facebook. Is totally fine with it. Because its cheap fried rice off a dude on facebook…
Now he wants to get revenge by snitching on him because the fried rice he bought off facebook has dog hair on it…
What do you expect? Its fried rice off facebook…

We will let the RFD public decide. If this becomes a down vote party, we know what the OP should do…
Deal Expert
Jul 30, 2007
31746 posts
18664 upvotes
Toronto
If the food smell from his condo bothers you a lot (like everyday), then you can try to talk to your condo board first.
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17510 posts
12244 upvotes
Markham
So OP has a problem with an illegal home food catering but they ordered from them knowing it's an illegal food catering business?!?!
Judge Judy used to say don't come to my court with unclean hands...you're participating in the problem ie buying from uninspected kitchen so you shouldn't complain about it.
It's like ppl who pay cash under the table to a unlicensed renovator and then wants to snitch on them with whatever licensing board they're on because they're not happy. => cash under the table is an undocumented transaction.

Don't buy from them ever again and/or post a review and pics if it's on a site that has that.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 21, 2015
1183 posts
777 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
You willingly bought food with a pretty good idea that it was being made in an uncertified home kitchen and now you're complaining and seeking revenge. SMH.
Deal Guru
Jul 23, 2007
14825 posts
7539 upvotes
Toronto
Don't rely on the bureaucrats, put the word out they require a vaccine passport and let 'em handle the crazies!
Deal Addict
Jun 3, 2010
1189 posts
729 upvotes
Richmond Hill

You DID ask for people's opinion....and the basic thing is...you DID order from this home business -- pretty sure you know they are illegit -- If you don't like their service...lesson learned, don't order from them again. It has been said here on RFD...speak with your wallet.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 10th, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted portion was removed
Deal Expert
Feb 7, 2017
22294 posts
20912 upvotes
Eastern Ontario
Devils Advocate …

I assume this place that is going rogue and is brazen about THE LAW
(Municipal Bylaws … and Food Inspection Safety Laws = Municipal - Provincial - Federal )

Is like a lot of other law breakers who bend the rules
They think they can do whatever they please
And so openly tell folks they are in Biz = Advertise

Which means …
Eventually their ads reach far beyond their immediate condo building

And … that’s part of the problem

When it’s so out there … that it’s beyond the immediate circle of folks who have intimate knowledge of what’s going on

In today’s society … that means … flyers, but also social media like FaceBook, etc
Which means word of mouth … gets passed on extremely quick

So now let’s say someone sees one of these ads
Places an order …
They have no idea of anything other than it’s Bob’s Burgers (made up name)

Now someone gets food poisoning from improperly handled food
Sick … real sick
Sick enough to end up in emergency

Is it the Burger guys fault ?
Or is it the Customers fault ?

Cuz based on the posts here thus far
It looks like it’s a case of BLAME THE VICTIM

Seriously ???

But how’s the victim to know anything about this place …
Other than it’s Bob Burgers and it’s all over FaceBook ?

This is what Food Safety Laws are actually for
They are to protect the unsuspecting public

OP … Ya I’d probably report the operation to someone
Esp so if it’s happening in your own building (against condo rules)

City Bylaw … Public Health ?
That’s a bit trickier …
Guess it would depend upon how much additional info I have on the operation

But then again …
I’m not the type to support such unregulated pop ups
So I would never have ordered from them to begin with
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4700 posts
2756 upvotes
Milton, ON.
Degener8 wrote: Mind my own business?

How about the next time you place an order for delivery I guess you'll be fine when it comes with a side of golden retriever hair.

If I place an order from my local hole in the wall, legally operating joint and that came looking / smelling or anything off, sure I would.... and I have. I am paying for good service and good food from a place that is supposed to have standards and is regulated.
If I bought something that I knew wasnt legal, food or otherwise, and found the quality to be subpar, NO i would not complain (fool me once) but move on and learn my lesson.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 10th, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quote was edited
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
17510 posts
12244 upvotes
Markham
OP might find it surprising that even if they report it, the "authorities" don't do anything about it.

There are so many pop ups on social media right now and they are blatantly "outside the ropes" and yet I don't think any of them have been visited by authorities. I've written on RFD forums many times before - why are these businesses allowed to work outside the rules when legit businesses have to pay [lots] to play within the rules? FYI I'm not saying these businesses are unsafe, they're just allowed to play by a different rule book and that is not fair.
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Penalty Box
Jun 24, 2015
6876 posts
2161 upvotes
0 downvotes

Mind your own business? Seriously? What if the food preparation staff do not follow health and safety guidelines and somehow someone eats the food and gets sick or has a severe allergic reaction? this is why we have food safety regulations. to prevent people from getting sick
Say NO to the WAR!
PEACE is the answer!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2013
3861 posts
3679 upvotes
Toronto
Degener8 wrote: Mind my own business?

So you didn't know all the information you listed before? Sounds like you knew exactly what you were getting into and still did it and only now you have issue with it.
Last edited by MrDisco on Jan 10th, 2022 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: quoted post was edited
Dec 7, 2011
836 posts
627 upvotes
Toronto

If that was me, I'd just move on and not go back. There are some items I order from home cooks and have never had a problem. Knowing these people I deal with, they'd probably want to hear from me if I did have a problem
Deal Fanatic
Oct 1, 2004
6651 posts
989 upvotes
GTA
Tax evasion, sanitary issues, and really it gives an unfair advantages vs legit restaurants who actually follow the rules…

But it’s a dime a dozen these days… a house in my neighbourhood imports meat/seafood and sell it in their garage, lineups day/night.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)