• Aug 18th, 2021 4:29 pm
Tags:
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
126 posts
100 upvotes
Thornhill, ON

How to fill an exterior/interior hole?

I had some tv cables that entered my house from the outside (through the brick). I have removed those cables , but now I have a small hole (the size of the cable) that goes right through to the inside of my house. I will probably put the cable receptacle back on, or perhaps drywall patch where it was.
I don’t want air leak (heat loss) or bugs to get in.
How do I (properly) fix it?

I was thinking of using “great stuff” as it also has some r value. Or maybe just silicone / caulk on the outside? Or maybe even both (put great stuff in the hole, then silicone over the brick...but maybe thats silly).

I tried finding a good video to see how to do it...but surprisingly I can’t.

Thank for yur help! :)
Images
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
  • image.jpg
9 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
On the brick, you can use mortar caulking.
You can shove a small amount of pink insulation into the hole (drywall side).
To patch the drywall, if the hole is small, you can use drywall mesh tape and drywall compound. If the hole is big, you need to cut a bigger hole and screw in a piece of new drywall. Tons of videos on this....

Edit...typo
Last edited by BDSL on Aug 18th, 2021 3:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dec 21, 2020
557 posts
487 upvotes
The outside hole just use some gray (or whatever color matches best) caulk. Just make sure it can dry before any rain comes around.

On the inside if the hole is small just patch it with drydex or something like that. If the hole is bigger then look on Youtube on how to do a California patch in drywall. Or see if they have a bigger patch kit at Home Depot.

I wouldn't worry about the insulation as it should over time just settle into the hole. A small hole like this also isn't something to worry about for air leaks as it will be behind solid drywall anyway (after the fix). If you do end up doing the California patch and cut out a large piece you can always use some tuck tape to patch the vapour barrier.

Edit:

On the inside if you don't want to worry about painting a patch you can just install a blank electrical cover on the wall to cover the patch. You should still patch it to seal it but at least you won't have to worry about painting.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
13084 posts
4692 upvotes
Ontario
I would spray insulation on the inside of the hole & then on the outside add some outdoor rated caulking. Then you can fix or do what you want with the drywall.
Jun 3, 2006
164 posts
108 upvotes
BDSL hit it on the nose... mortar caulk the outside brick hole, so that becomes the same effect as brick (temp and moisture wise). Inside, would simply either patch (since it looks small enough) and paint.... otherwise, just get a full plate to replace the one with the hole.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2009
3234 posts
2079 upvotes
Markham
6oh wrote: BDSL hit it on the nose... mortar caulk the outside brick hole, so that becomes the same effect as brick (temp and moisture wise). Inside, would simply either patch (since it looks small enough) and paint.... otherwise, just get a full plate to replace the one with the hole.
Thanks.
Yes, don't just use any caulking...
[OP]
Aug 20, 2007
126 posts
100 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Glad I asked, as I had never heard of mortar caulking before, I would have just used 100% silicone!

Does it matter that the hole is in the brick, not the mortar? ...its hard to tell from the pic, but the hole was drilled right through the middle of a brick. Is this still the right caulk to use?

Last edited by quisibo on Aug 18th, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 3, 2006
164 posts
108 upvotes
Exactly why a good question to ask :) I did it myself, and while silicone would have been fine if just filling in around the co-ax cable, the mortar tube works for this instance.... and just finish ff the tube around other spots around the house where 'in-between' the bricks is starting to gap in spots.

https://www.homedepot.ca/product/sika-f ... 1000684319
Nov 13, 2019
315 posts
104 upvotes
Toronto
Hm, I'm looking to seal around some of the rectangular/square vents around the outside of my house, would I be using mortar caulking in this case too? The facade is stucco
Jun 3, 2006
164 posts
108 upvotes
timofeewho wrote: Hm, I'm looking to seal around some of the rectangular/square vents around the outside of my house, would I be using mortar caulking in this case too? The facade is stucco
Different use case than quisibo, would suspect you'd want to use a silicone caulk or a foam sealant around an outdoor venting type of stuff... silicone more maleable, and will formfit into smaller gaps around the vent, while foam would be for larger gaps... i'd still choose an outdoor silicone caulk and colour match a few shades (the outdoor one is far better for heat/cold/wet/dry) and good to keep out air/water/pests.