• Last Updated:
  • Sep 19th, 2021 3:15 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes

How to find after school care?

We moved into a new neighborhood this spring, and the acceptance of the school came around March, and from then I asked about the in-house day care centre about after school care. Did not get a response till the first day of school today advising us we are on a waiting list (we have been following up a few times since march). Now I am in a bind as I don't have any family in the area, and work can't keep accommodating for much longer.

What other options, and where can I look?
Last edited by EPcjay on Sep 9th, 2021 1:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
4 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2001
17017 posts
7354 upvotes
When we were looking for after school care we talked to the teachers and asked for the names of daycares that picked up children from the school. Because the children are released to daycare workers, they are aware of the names. You can also watch for the busses that pickup kids as, at least in our area, many of the daycares use a bus to pickup kids.

If your child is older then perhaps ask one of the teachers in the younger grades as the older grades may not release kids to people (kids leave on their own, not to a parent / guardian).
Deal Addict
Nov 24, 2004
4336 posts
877 upvotes
Toronto
EPcjay wrote:
What other options, and where can I look? I am in Whitby if it helps near dryden and thickson.
Try asking other parents in your child's classes. After-care spots usually fill up very quickly.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
8220 posts
1865 upvotes
TrevorK wrote: When we were looking for after school care we talked to the teachers and asked for the names of daycares that picked up children from the school. Because the children are released to daycare workers, they are aware of the names. You can also watch for the busses that pickup kids as, at least in our area, many of the daycares use a bus to pickup kids.

If your child is older then perhaps ask one of the teachers in the younger grades as the older grades may not release kids to people (kids leave on their own, not to a parent / guardian).
We contacted the school office to ask if there are any special up picks up from other daycares that shuttle students to an offsite facility, and they indeed had a list. Quite surprised the program director for the daycare in the school wasn't helpful with this info, or perhaps she didn't know the school administration had a list.

Thanks a bunch