• Sep 21st, 2020 11:28 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1261 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto

How to find a good Agent?

I am currently looking at purchasing a home outside of GTA (North) but I'm not sure what the best method is in choosing an agent. I don't have any "friends/family" who can recommend me one.

If anyone got any tips/idea on how/what to look for in an agent, please let me know.

I've tried doing a google search in the particular area but there were too many agents that came up.

Lastly, with COVID going on, do Agents still drive you around to view homes?

Thanks in advance.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 26, 2007
1982 posts
933 upvotes
YYZ
sheepe wrote: I am currently looking at purchasing a home outside of GTA (North) but I'm not sure what the best method is in choosing an agent. I don't have any "friends/family" who can recommend me one.

If anyone got any tips/idea on how/what to look for in an agent, please let me know.

I've tried doing a google search in the particular area but there were too many agents that came up.

Lastly, with COVID going on, do Agents still drive you around to view homes?

Thanks in advance.
I think your best course of action is to interview various realtors. some things to consider
-how much knowledge do you have regarding the area
- track record / business model (e.g. if a realtor is a top producer how much time will they spend devoting time to you)
- mannerisms / do they pick up or answer you in a timely manner?
- how will they implement a plan to help purchase your next home
- are you signing a buyers rep agreement? *will you be a client or customer (there is a difference)*
- sometimes even a "gut" feeling about someone can help guide your decision. Trust your instincts

in regards to driving you around, i think it depends on the realtor. It also depends on how far north you're considering.
I dont think many would drive you from downtown core to newmarket just to see 1-2 listings.
That being said some realtors may not be comfortable driving you, and will ask you to meet them at the listing.

good luck in your search and happy home buying!
Licensed Full Service Realtor
Jun 3, 2019
143 posts
107 upvotes
GTA
Pick an agent that is from the local area. If it's a cottage type property that is even more important. Once you've found a few agents (google, realtor.ca) call them up to interview them, just make sure you have a list of questions ahead of time. If you can't reach them, sometimes just the time it takes for them to call you back is a good indicator. You'd be amazed at how many don't list their cell numbers and you are forced to call the office to page them, but call their office and give them a chance to call you back. The response rate will be surprising as well.

Questions to ask:
What should I look for (in your specific property type)
How will you mitigate those issues for me
Do I need to sign a BRA as bLuPhYrE suggested...can I do without one for now
Ask them what a Buyer Representation Agreement even means
How responsive are you to my calls, texts and emails

The one that you most feel comfortable with is the one you should choose. I always tell my clients 'I want you to feel so comfortable in dealing with me that you can tell me to fly a kite if you think I'm wrong, because that means you will speak your mind and not keep questions to yourself, just to be nice'.
Realtor® & Mortgage Agent
[OP]
Deal Addict
Aug 22, 2008
1261 posts
57 upvotes
Toronto
Thank you for both your advices, I will begin my search for a realtor with your advices!
May 24, 2012
209 posts
37 upvotes
Toronto
Hey, thanks for sharing!

Regarding what you said below:
' are you signing a buyers rep agreement? *will you be a client or customer (there is a difference)*

What is the difference between client or customer?
Also, when is the right time to sign a BRA with an agent?

Thanks!
Feb 19, 2019
812 posts
872 upvotes
Stouffville ON
weirdlogic wrote: Hey, thanks for sharing!

' are you signing a buyers rep agreement? *will you be a client or customer (there is a difference)*

Thanks!
Client - fiduciary duty to promote and protect best interest.
Customer - no fiduciary duty, but the brokerage is obligated to treat the customers with fairness, honesty and integrity.
In my case we sign the BRA when you are ready to put first offer, by that time we should have a relationship established and you are comfortable I am the right agent for you.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Feb 19, 2019
812 posts
872 upvotes
Stouffville ON
sheepe wrote: Thank you for both your advices, I will begin my search for a realtor with your advices!
If you post the general location someone on this forum my be working in the area, or recommend someone they know in the area.
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
May 3, 2013
643 posts
199 upvotes
Toronto
weirdlogic wrote: Hey, thanks for sharing!

Thanks!
What senasena said. Depending on the Realtor, a BRA may be signed upfront to gauge the seriousness of the buyer. If I was showing a few places near my home, or if I was working with people I know who are serious, I wouldn't sign a BRA until an offer is placed. But if I had to drive over an hour to do a few showings, I would like some sort of commitment or some proof of seriousness.