• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2018 12:23 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1455 posts
293 upvotes

How to find original artwork for wall?

Hi RFD! My wife and I are looking invest in wall artwork for our condo as a birthday gift to each other.

That said, we are completely lost as to how to even begin the search. We know we want a painting - abstract or nature/landscape - but other than that we are stuck at square one.

Where do you find high quality original artwork in Toronto?
How do you know if the painter is "legit" (someone who isn't copying others... is a true sought-after artist)?
How much should we expect to spend for a large piece (approx 4'x3' to 5'x3')?
Is this a true investment - or an expense where we shouldn't expect price appreciation?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
6 replies
Temp. Banned
Dec 18, 2009
1709 posts
912 upvotes
Toronto
The main consideration when buying original artwork is to like the piece. There are no guarantees that any painting will appreciate in value. In fact, 99% of artwork will depreciate to $1 immediately after you buy it.

To buy something of the size you describe, your budget would have to begin at around $3-4K for a very young artist just starting out unless you go for the mass-produced, Chinese factory art on eBay.

Buy whatever you like and can afford, don't think about future pay-outs, it is rarer than hen's teeth. Any artist worth their salt and with a potential for future profit would be in the 5 - 6 digit price range for the size you are thinking. If you do have that kind of budget then I salute you and am very jealous, I love art but have never been able to afford to collect the artists I love.
Deal Addict
Apr 23, 2006
3106 posts
1273 upvotes
Toronto
You can check out Toronto Outdoor Art exhibit at City Hall in July. You can meet many local artists at this exhibit where can buy original artwork displayed at their stall or commission them to make you a piece.

https://torontooutdoor.art/
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2007
3180 posts
523 upvotes
The Toronto Outdoor Art show is pretty good. I exhibited my photography there a few years ago and loved browsing around to see what other people were doing.

Definitely just go with someone's whose work you like and don't worry about future value -- most will not appreciate in value.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 1, 2006
9187 posts
3227 upvotes
Toronto
eightyeight wrote: Hi RFD! My wife and I are looking invest in wall artwork for our condo as a birthday gift to each other.

That said, we are completely lost as to how to even begin the search. We know we want a painting - abstract or nature/landscape - but other than that we are stuck at square one.

Where do you find high quality original artwork in Toronto?
How do you know if the painter is "legit" (someone who isn't copying others... is a true sought-after artist)?
How much should we expect to spend for a large piece (approx 4'x3' to 5'x3')?
Is this a true investment - or an expense where we shouldn't expect price appreciation?

Any advice would be much appreciated. Thank you!!!
Go to a gallery, walk around, ask the staff about the stuff you like, ask about prices and tell them what you are looking for and how much you're willing to pay.

PS I know some galleries can be intimidating but there are many smaller ones around that are welcoming and friendly. PM me if you want some suggestions (mostly in west-end of city).
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 9, 2005
1455 posts
293 upvotes
Thanks everyone - I think I will start with the Toronto Outdoor Art Festival and go from there. Looks like a great place to narrow down what I'm looking for :)
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ raise your dongers ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ
Apr 11, 2009
155 posts
90 upvotes
I have bought and sold artwork on Kijiji. There's artwork market if you want something used/not new and good price.
Research well and never rush, you may find out quality frame for you.
I have had over 95% my original artworks bought at Kijiji, from artist or colectioner, and never had any problems.
Ebay is also good place to buy from elsewhere artist (Québec, Aberta...)
They are often litte over priced (cause of shipping fee, ebay fee...)

you can compare price/size artwork some artist here;

http://www.findartinfo.com/english.html

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)