• Jun 2nd, 2021 10:08 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1565 posts
606 upvotes
Abbotsford

How to find parent looking for a PS5?

I got PS5 on a whim as I caught it in stock - have opened it - not sure I want to spend the money. Rather than return to wal-mart I thought of trying to find a desperate parent searching for and I would sell at cost. Any way to find someone local - searched FB etc - thought maybe there’d be a group but no luck. I’m on Vancouver island. I’m looking for someone woth a younger child, not wanting to sell to a teenager or someone older etc
10 replies
Deal Fanatic
Dec 1, 2004
8009 posts
1514 upvotes
coolxal wrote: Do you need proof of child?
🤣
Honestly OP, should be easy to find someone willing to take the PS5 off your hands at cost
STEAM-XBL-PSN: CFRTim
Deal Addict
Jan 25, 2006
1110 posts
374 upvotes
Nova Scotia
You will get a million (ok maybe not that many) hits on FB if you post it on marketplace. I sold my Series X back in November when I received it for Cost on kijiji and had many emails calling me a scammer, A hole, jerk.... I didnt bother replying to any of them until one guy just politely asked why I was selling it at cost. I said because I am paying it forward...he came the next night to get it.

You will find many that would take the PS5 not suer how you ask for proof of a child though... at least on FB you can check out their profile?
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2036 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
OP you have good intentions, but this isn't really practical.

You don't want to sell to teens and want to identify parents with younger children. Fair enough. Let's say you identify a parent - how would you know the PS5 is going to be used by the 7-year old child and not the 35 year old parent?
Jul 31, 2007
659 posts
518 upvotes
post on reddit, and then do a profile check later
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2014
1279 posts
623 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Small kids don't need a PS5. I would go for a family with kids, including teenagers. Nothing wrong with teens and their parents wanting to play games on a PS5.
Deal Addict
Mar 12, 2007
2289 posts
1004 upvotes
Toronto
heywhatsmyname wrote: how would you know the PS5 is going to be used by the 7-year old child and not the 35 year old parent?
Laughed at this because this is me. OP I got a 2.5 year old at home. That definitely qualifies as child. I'm also mid-30s and if I get a PS5 at cost, I'm probably going to be the one who's using it (although I'd say Bloodborne is a good game to start a toddler on the hobby).

But c'mon guys, he's doing the right thing here. We should be upvoting him for even going that extra mile to find some kid who wants one but can't get one. OP, you're alright in my book! Take your thumbs up.
Steam: Sir Boors
PSN: Sir_Boors

It's a great time to be a nerd.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2007
1565 posts
606 upvotes
Abbotsford
Meant to say "I haven't opened it"

yeah - I was hoping I might stumble on a "I've been looking for a PS5 for my 10yr old for 6 months" threads but no luck. I've got a bit of time - will put a feeler out on FB local group but I'm sure I'll just scammed and get someone that wants to buy from me to charge $200 extra and flip it.
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
2036 posts
678 upvotes
Toronto
I think that was more prevalent during the holidays. Parents aren't really desperate to buy their kids a $700+ (after taxes) console for their kids). Young kids tend to play Fortnite, Minecraft, Robolox etc which can be played via other platforms.
Deal Addict
Nov 2, 2012
2598 posts
3783 upvotes
Props to you for wanting it to go to a family. But save for asking for family photos and birth certificates, I don't know how you'll actually pull that off in any way.

Maybe stipulate the buyer should meet with you as a family when they come to pick it up. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes