• Nov 1st, 2019 4:40 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 17, 2017
75 posts
18 upvotes

How To Find A Personal Chef To Deliver Meals To Me

My dear wife is a fantastic chef but I want to give her a break by hiring somebody to deliver us prepared dinners five nights a week.

I am aware of prepared foods at the grocery store and services like chef’s plate etc but I want to be able to have more control over the ingredients, food quality, and preparation. Maybe even provide some of the ingredients myself because these days I’m already buying what I think are high quality meats and dairy direct from the producers.

I think the ideal would be a local person who just likes to cook and would see this as a part time job, maybe they do it for other people too, whatever.

In these days of the sharing economy I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an ‘uber’ type service for this.

Does anyone have experience with this situation and what did you do ?
16 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 11, 2004
4031 posts
1900 upvotes
Mississauga
Its called UberEats and it already exists.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
I hope you're made of money.
For those of us without a trust fund, this is called a restaurant.

If you're actually interested you could probably find an actual chef to do this but I guarantee you that it won't be cheap.
If you're controlling ingredients that means I have no control over costs so your cost per plate is going to be astronomical.
The reason restaurants work is by buying in bulk. Cooking (let's say) 4 plates of unique items with no way to "recycle" ingredients means a whole lot of unneeded leftovers.
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
3116 posts
1070 upvotes
Maybe try craigslist
Probably would cost insane amounts, $100 a meal I’d guess
Apr 15, 2014
990 posts
832 upvotes
Toronto, ON
toronto19850 wrote: Maybe try craigslist
Probably would cost insane amounts, $100 a meal I’d guess
Per person....
Please respond
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1475 posts
573 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
Ask the wait staff at the restaurants that you frequent who they would recommend.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5065 posts
2252 upvotes
5 Nights a week? How bad is your wife's cooking?
Deal Addict
Mar 27, 2015
1475 posts
573 upvotes
Thornhill, ON
If you are in Toronto, you could contact George Brown and/or Humber College hospitality departments (for which they are well-known). They would have student chefs who would be more than interested in working with you, I'm sure.
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2005
3062 posts
534 upvotes
Toronto
There are a number of private chef services in Toronto.

http://myeverydaygourmet.com/
http://www.mondaynightmeal.com/

They do the shopping, cook in your kitchen and clean up afterwards. It looks it costs about $350/week for 7 meals.

If you want a service that makes the meal offsite in a commercial kitchen, I would gather that you would have little to no control over their ingredients as they're cooking at scale and have to purchase from commercial suppliers.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
4497 posts
3329 upvotes
zorg001 wrote: My dear wife is a fantastic chef but I want to give her a break by hiring somebody to deliver us prepared dinners five nights a week.
Why don't you learn to cook?? That makes most logical/financial sense unless you have the extra money.

You can make extra that you can have for leftovers or freeze for another week. You could also prepare several meals on the weekend for the week.
Aug 8, 2019
343 posts
198 upvotes
Do any of these services include making leftovers for lunch the next day?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
45469 posts
8469 upvotes
T.O. Lotto Captain
hierophant wrote: Why don't you learn to cook?? That makes most logical/financial sense unless you have the extra money.

You can make extra that you can have for leftovers or freeze for another week. You could also prepare several meals on the weekend for the week.
It makes no sense...
What the OP is asking for is a highly specialized and expensive service... something that celebrities and the uber wealthy have.

Private chef/nutritionist is what it is.

No one is going to do this part time for minimum wage like what the OP is looking for.
Deal Expert
Nov 15, 2004
19597 posts
3601 upvotes
Toronto
Swing by an a new immigrant area and post up some ads. As long as you make it clear you're not a serial killer you should be able to get someone to come to your house and do this for you, or deliver. There are already off-books businesses in a lot of places where housewives make meals to be delivered to people who live busy lives and can't cook that well.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
27311 posts
13016 upvotes
roleless wrote: Do any of these services include making leftovers for lunch the next day?
The word you're looking for is butler.
UrbanPoet wrote: What the OP is asking for is a highly specialized and expensive service... something that celebrities and the uber wealthy have.
Maybe OP is a celebrity or uber wealthy.
Not like the rest of us plebs that only make $100k a year.
No one is going to do this part time for minimum wage like what the OP is looking for.
You might be able to convince like a culinary school student/grad or something to take this on part time.
Still won't be cheap though. But $20/hr minimum 4 hour shift part time a few days a week would probably get some biters.
But you'd also get what you pay for. A proper private chef is going to be much more money.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3643 posts
390 upvotes
Leuven
trane0 wrote: There are a number of private chef services in Toronto.

http://myeverydaygourmet.com/
http://www.mondaynightmeal.com/

They do the shopping, cook in your kitchen and clean up afterwards. It looks it costs about $350/week for 7 meals.

If you want a service that makes the meal offsite in a commercial kitchen, I would gather that you would have little to no control over their ingredients as they're cooking at scale and have to purchase from commercial suppliers.
That seemed crazy cheap if they were going every night to cook, but looks like the service is they go to your house once per week and make all of that weeks meals at once which makes more sense.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2007
5061 posts
1158 upvotes
zorg001 wrote: My dear wife is a fantastic chef but I want to give her a break by hiring somebody to deliver us prepared dinners five nights a week.

I am aware of prepared foods at the grocery store and services like chef’s plate etc but I want to be able to have more control over the ingredients, food quality, and preparation. Maybe even provide some of the ingredients myself because these days I’m already buying what I think are high quality meats and dairy direct from the producers.

I think the ideal would be a local person who just likes to cook and would see this as a part time job, maybe they do it for other people too, whatever.

In these days of the sharing economy I’d be surprised if there wasn’t an ‘uber’ type service for this.

Does anyone have experience with this situation and what did you do ?
If you want control over ingredients, you'd be better off having the person cook on site in your kitchen. Otherwise you could give the person ingredients and they end up using something cheaper. Might be hard for you to realize. Having someone cook in your house removes the need for delivery to begin with. You even want to buy all the groceries too. In the grand scheme of things, I don't think you are saving much time and certainly making your meals incredibly expensive.

If your wife needs a break, then how about just ordering from Uber Eats or skip the dishes? Find a restaurant you trust and order take out. Seems much more logical and economically sensible to me then asking someone to make customized meals and you providing the ingredients.

Anyways, try putting up an ad. I'm sure such services exist. They won't be cheap if you want control about the meal ingredients. These businesses work by either mass producing something and finding economies of scale, or by finding someone like you and charging a high price per meal.