How to fix door frame

• Last Updated:
  • May 4th, 2020 11:16 pm
[OP]
Jan 5, 2020
774 posts
1064 upvotes

How to fix door frame

Could someone please advise me on how to fix this door? It appears that one side of the door frame is not aligned with the wall. This is a 6 year old condo that I recently purchased so not sure why this happened. Please refer to photos. Thanks! :)
Images
  • 20200420_090926.jpg
  • 20200420_090907.jpg
5 replies
Nov 6, 2014
746 posts
1142 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON
It looks like someone pushed or tried to kick the door into the condo. You'd likely have to heavy hammer it back out and set long screws threw the left and right door jambs to secure it from moving.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2020
774 posts
1064 upvotes
fordmaple wrote: It looks like someone pushed or tried to kick the door into the condo. You'd likely have to heavy hammer it back out and set long screws threw the left and right door jambs to secure it from moving.
Would I need to purchase a sledge hammer to do this? Also, wouldn't it be noticeable if I put screws through the left and right door jambs?
Jul 7, 2005
983 posts
150 upvotes
Back out the odd screw you see in your second pic below the hinge. Not sure why it's there. Guessing someone tried to fix it at one point. screwed nothing but air and now it shifted again? Look for other screws along hinge portion of jamb and take them out. Using your body weight and arm give it a push, see if there's any give. Figure it out where to go after that. If it moves easily or not, etc. Sledge hammer is over kill. Some scrap 2x4 so you don't mare or dent the finish and a decently weighted hammer should do the job.
[OP]
Jan 5, 2020
774 posts
1064 upvotes
linsook wrote: Back out the odd screw you see in your second pic below the hinge. Not sure why it's there. Guessing someone tried to fix it at one point. screwed nothing but air and now it shifted again? Look for other screws along hinge portion of jamb and take them out. Using your body weight and arm give it a push, see if there's any give. Figure it out where to go after that. If it moves easily or not, etc. Sledge hammer is over kill. Some scrap 2x4 so you don't mare or dent the finish and a decently weighted hammer should do the job.
Thank you!! I did exactly as you advised and it worked! Also didn't need a sledgehammer. It doesnt close 100% smoothly but still a big improvement and looks much better
Jul 7, 2005
983 posts
150 upvotes
Newuserid wrote: Thank you!! I did exactly as you advised and it worked! Also didn't need a sledgehammer. It doesnt close 100% smoothly but still a big improvement and looks much better
awesome that's good to hear.

if its not closing smoothly i would guess because its not square anymore. if you want to fix it figure out which area of the door is hitting or scraping the door frame and perhaps make adjustments to the door frame for that section. this may entail removing trim.