Home & Garden

How to fix garage concrete breaking apart

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 20th, 2020 6:31 pm
[OP]
Jul 14, 2020
4 posts

How to fix garage concrete breaking apart

The concrete portion of the wall is slowly falling apart, I am assuming it is from water/moisture. The location is exactly in the same location of the front porch.
The porch is made of poured concrete, sand and patio stones. The borders are glued down.

There is also some efflorescence along the wall further away from the porch, I an presuming that it moisture either from the ground in contact with the concrete wall and/or the snow that collects against the wall.
IMG_20200706_172145920.jpg
IMG_20200706_140200246.jpg
5 replies
Deal Expert
Feb 11, 2007
19184 posts
22076 upvotes
GTA
You'll want to do what you can to keep water away from the wall where the porch is but also where the mulch is. So clear the snow away. You can dig up the mulch and lay a vapour barrier between the cement foundation and the dirt.
Sealing the lower brick area may also help.
You can use parging to cover up the broken area inside.
If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy.
Deal Addict
Nov 17, 2012
4482 posts
3871 upvotes
Toronto
I'd be more concerned about the condition of the brick where the built-up steps meet the brick wall. They look damaged. Is it sloped away from the wall?

Were there just basic concrete stairs up to the door before and this built-up angled set of steps was added later? That may be a bigger problem.
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
18348 posts
5964 upvotes
London
torontotim wrote: I'd be more concerned about the condition of the brick where the built-up steps meet the brick wall. They look damaged. Is it sloped away from the wall?
Were there just basic concrete stairs up to the door before and this built-up angled set of steps was added later? That may be a bigger problem.
+1, looks like there were weeping holes in the brick exterior wall that were blocked off when the steps were installed. The water behind the bricks can't drain and gets trapped
[OP]
Jul 14, 2020
4 posts
Thanks, There was a small stoop before no stairs. This was added later. It is supposed to be sloped away, I will check to see if the stones have shifted over the year. Yes the brick is deteriorating that iis also my concern. Do I need to jackhammer the whole thing away?
[OP]
Jul 14, 2020
4 posts
Yes you are correct, the weeping holes were covered how can I fix that?