• Aug 8th, 2021 1:21 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3301 upvotes
Out west

How to fix leak on new tap/drain install

So this weekend I upgraded 3 bathroom taps, all the same model. The first two went fine. No leak, tested for a few hours, no drips, all dry.

I install the Moen Arlys model with a pop up drain

Third one however I have a leak with the drain assembly underneath, where the rubber gasket meets the sink underneath. No matter how much I tighten it, it has a slow drip at the same spot.

After multiple take aparts and put back togethers, I see that's its because the drain hole itself has a small imperfection, a bump then a dip of sorts, so the rubber cant seal correctly. I thought it might be the top seal where the drain meets the sink, but I have zero leaks when the drain is closed and the sink holds water.

There are no threads to use Teflon tape on due to the design of the drain

Wondering if silicone or plumbers putty is the answer. If so, what kind do you use on rubber gaskets? Or if other ideas are available
4 replies
Aug 24, 2005
107 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
Oakley's Plumbers putty should help. Be generous in application. As you tighten the drain assembly to the sink. It should fill up the imperfections and ooze out.

Had the same issue with Ikea vanity sinks.
WikkiWikki wrote: So this weekend I upgraded 3 bathroom taps, all the same model. The first two went fine. No leak, tested for a few hours, no drips, all dry.

I install the Moen Arlys model with a pop up drain

Third one however I have a leak with the drain assembly underneath, where the rubber gasket meets the sink underneath. No matter how much I tighten it, it has a slow drip at the same spot.

After multiple take aparts and put back togethers, I see that's its because the drain hole itself has a small imperfection, a bump then a dip of sorts, so the rubber cant seal correctly. I thought it might be the top seal where the drain meets the sink, but I have zero leaks when the drain is closed and the sink holds water.

There are no threads to use Teflon tape on due to the design of the drain

Wondering if silicone or plumbers putty is the answer. If so, what kind do you use on rubber gaskets? Or if other ideas are available
Never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3301 upvotes
Out west
umroayyar wrote: Oakley's Plumbers putty should help. Be generous in application. As you tighten the drain assembly to the sink. It should fill up the imperfections and ooze out.

Had the same issue with Ikea vanity sinks.
Is this good against rubber? Just read that some putty drys out gaskets. Or is that a special kind? Did you mean to type Oateys?

basically you are right, the hole needs filled. basically the sink was like this from manufacturer from the looks of it, and the old assembly which was metal and used plumbers putty took care of the issue

I am glad to be rid of the pull up drain stop. So much cleaner looking, easier to use, and easier to clean. No more hair getting stuck on the rod, etc
Aug 24, 2005
107 posts
46 upvotes
GTA
Oatey's . Sorry autocorrect.

Mine is good for over 2 yrs now. This one is a bit oily.
Never miss a chance to keep your mouth shut!
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2016
22791 posts
3301 upvotes
Out west
umroayyar wrote: Oatey's . Sorry autocorrect.

Mine is good for over 2 yrs now. This one is a bit oily.
Thanks. Ill give it a shot. Make a trip to HD