• May 13th, 2019 12:38 am
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
101 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa

How to Fix this Leaky Faucet

Hi,

We purchased this house last Fall. So this is the first time I tried to use the faucet in my garage. Whenever I connect the garden hose and turn on the water, it's leaking water. (see pics below). From my google search, it seems like a anti-siphon valve. But the top cap on my faucet is much smaller from pictures I found online, so I am not entirely sure. Does anyone recognize this kind of faucet? To fix it, which part do i need to replace? Or replace it the whole thing? The bottom part seems like a part of the faucet though. So I am not sure if I can take it out.

Thanks
7 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
19945 posts
8044 upvotes
Toronto
I had one of these in the garage that leaked. I ended up just removing the entire assembly and putting in a basic valve. I have no need for any anti syphon valve.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank, Simplii
Deal Addict
Apr 6, 2008
1807 posts
1152 upvotes
They are notorious for issues. You need to replace the whole thing. You may be able to get replacement parts, but you'll have issues down the road. I would just do it right the first time. I had one when I moved it and took it out right away because it leaked like crazy.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
That is not an anti-siphon valve. The small cap is a bleeder cap with a small rubber washer inside it. Make sure it is tight and washer is OK. And for the leakage out the main outlet, just change the tap washer....

The practical advice on this forum is sometimes shocking.
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 19, 2009
3923 posts
1912 upvotes
will888 wrote: I had one of these in the garage that leaked. I ended up just removing the entire assembly and putting in a basic valve. I have no need for any anti syphon valve.
The Ontario Building Code requires you have one ... not only to protect you but others as well.
[OP]
Dec 28, 2011
101 posts
10 upvotes
Ottawa
Cough wrote: That is not an anti-siphon valve. The small cap is a bleeder cap with a small rubber washer inside it. Make sure it is tight and washer is OK. And for the leakage out the main outlet, just change the tap washer....

The practical advice on this forum is sometimes shocking.
Thanks Cough. I always thought it's an anti-siphon valve. Do you know what's the proper name then and what is the purpose of that thing inside the faucet shown in 2nd picture? Is there some youtube video that shows me how to fix it? I assume I can unscrew the small cap on top, take out the washer and replace it. Where is the tap washer located? Thanks again.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
Hard to tell from your photo but it looks like the second bit which is screwed onto the faucet is a vacuum breaker which was used for antisiphon in the late 90's. You can buy a new one at Home Depot or just throw it away....

I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4925 posts
764 upvotes
Calgary
This may help you understand the vacuum breaker