• Last Updated:
  • May 14th, 2019 1:20 pm
[OP]
Mar 18, 2015
220 posts
176 upvotes
Mississauga, ON

How to fix. A little bit of grass, moss, and I don't know

I've got this covering part of my lawn. Anyone know what this plant is. Should I get rid of it or just leave it be.
Images
  • FrontLawnMoss.jpg
3 replies
Jul 15, 2009
505 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
I'd put some 2,4-D to kill the weeds as soon as possible (you can order it off ebay). All the weeds should die quickly, do spot treatments over the next couple of weeks for anything that survived.

Mow low and bag (so you don't spread the weed seeds) after the weeds are dead. I don't think you need to dethatch, but definitely rake the grass to clean it up. Aerate the lawn manually or rent a gas-powered one if your lawn is large, since the moss is probably an indication of soil compaction/drainage issues. Then (about 30 days after you've applied the 2,4-D) I'd apply a generous top coating of good soil (triple mix) and grass seed (contractor's mix). It'll be too late to get good results with Kentucky Blue Grass/Creeping Red Fescue, but the rye grass in the contractors mix germinates quickly and should give you decent results for this year.

Late in the fall, do an over-seeding with a standard mix of grass seed. Next fall the KBG/Fescue that comes up will start to overtake this year's ryegrass and your lawn will be in good shape.
Dec 1, 2006
922 posts
99 upvotes
Toronto
anatman wrote: I'd put some 2,4-D to kill the weeds as soon as possible (you can order it off ebay). All the weeds should die quickly, do spot treatments over the next couple of weeks for anything that survived.

Mow low and bag (so you don't spread the weed seeds) after the weeds are dead. I don't think you need to dethatch, but definitely rake the grass to clean it up. Aerate the lawn manually or rent a gas-powered one if your lawn is large, since the moss is probably an indication of soil compaction/drainage issues. Then (about 30 days after you've applied the 2,4-D) I'd apply a generous top coating of good soil (triple mix) and grass seed (contractor's mix). It'll be too late to get good results with Kentucky Blue Grass/Creeping Red Fescue, but the rye grass in the contractors mix germinates quickly and should give you decent results for this year.

Late in the fall, do an over-seeding with a standard mix of grass seed. Next fall the KBG/Fescue that comes up will start to overtake this year's ryegrass and your lawn will be in good shape.
When you say its too late to get results with Kentucky Blue Grass/Creeping Red Fescue. Does that mean it would just go to waste if used?
I just applied 2-4D on my lawn and waiting for the weeds to die off.
Jul 15, 2009
505 posts
1078 upvotes
Toronto
bloodylankan wrote: When you say its too late to get results with Kentucky Blue Grass/Creeping Red Fescue. Does that mean it would just go to waste if used?
I just applied 2-4D on my lawn and waiting for the weeds to die off.
Yes, it'll probably be a waste both in terms of establishing a healthy lawn (long term) and producing an acceptable lawn this year. You'll want to wait a month post-2,4-D treatment before seeding and then it'll take a month more before you get full germination of KBG/Fescue. By then it'll be really sunny/hot and the grass will have a minuscule growing period before it goes into full summer dormancy--so you'll get a poor lawn this year with shallow root system for what does grow. I think it's better to fill up your lawn with fast growing and robust annual/perennial rye grass (which will help keep the weeds at bay) this year. Over-seed again in the late fall with KBG/Fescue rich seed and overseed again in the spring next year to further thicken. With repeated over-seeding the KBG/Fescue will naturally overtake the rye grass, so you'll have an acceptable lawn this year and great lawn going forward.