How to fix water pooling between yards?

• Last Updated:
  • May 17th, 2019 9:47 am
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes

How to fix water pooling between yards?

It's raining right now and water is pooling between the houses, ruining the dirt I put down. In the winter it melts and freezes and kills the grass. Do I have to put a ton of soil there to build it up?
Images
  • IMG_20190515_1929533.jpg
12 replies
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2006
4360 posts
585 upvotes
Messed Up Area
water and snow will not kill grass, you have something else killing grass from winter ( aka salts/sand/pet unrine/etc. in snow )

The pooling is occuring as its lowest point in yards and water is draining to it, the soil ground is not absorbing the water fast enough, or water table is too high. If you add soil to level out ground you may end up with pooling by house and possible leaking in basement.

A solution maybe to run a Solid Big O pipe from where the deepest part of hole is to by the sideway on a slop, this will act as a drain, but as well will cause water to flow onto sidewalk/driveways.
Deal Addict
Jul 31, 2007
2053 posts
183 upvotes
York Region
baz5 wrote: It's raining right now and water is pooling between the houses, ruining the dirt I put down. In the winter it melts and freezes and kills the grass. Do I have to put a ton of soil there to build it up?
Do not build it up. It is there for a purpose to drain water away from your house to the street.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
theguyz wrote: water and snow will not kill grass, you have something else killing grass from winter ( aka salts/sand/pet unrine/etc. in snow )

The pooling is occuring as its lowest point in yards and water is draining to it, the soil ground is not absorbing the water fast enough, or water table is too high. If you add soil to level out ground you may end up with pooling by house and possible leaking in basement.

A solution maybe to run a Solid Big O pipe from where the deepest part of hole is to by the sideway on a slop, this will act as a drain, but as well will cause water to flow onto sidewalk/driveways.
May be salts from the water but in the winter it turns into a huge ice chunk.
Thanks for the advice
Deal Expert
Oct 23, 2008
19240 posts
17866 upvotes
GTA, ON
It's graded that way for a reason - unless you prefer the water to pool beside your house's foundation?

Leave it as is.

If you're concerned about your garden, build a stone retaining wall. Those plastic borders won't do much.
Tis banana is IRIE 😎

10% off is cold, 50% off is warm, 75% off is hot, but FREE IS RFD!
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
French drain with catch basins and a pop up emitter
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
chimaican wrote: It's graded that way for a reason - unless you prefer the water to pool beside your house's foundation?

Leave it as is.

If you're concerned about your garden, build a stone retaining wall. Those plastic borders won't do much.
I don't mean to flatten it out. Keep the 'valley' but just build it higher so it goes all the way to the road and doesn't stop halfway.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
smitty9999 wrote: French drain with catch basins and a pop up emitter
I'll look into that. Thanks
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2007
1353 posts
861 upvotes
GTA
baz5 wrote: I'll look into that. Thanks
Look up "Apple Drains" on YouTube
Deal Addict
Oct 23, 2017
2965 posts
2632 upvotes
GTA West
baz5 wrote: I don't mean to flatten it out. Keep the 'valley' but just build it higher so it goes all the way to the road and doesn't stop halfway.
Right. Lower the swale at the front so that the water drains to the front and doesn't pool between the houses. That is how the builder was supposed to grade it.
Deal Fanatic
Jul 7, 2004
6948 posts
2695 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote: Right. Lower the swale at the front so that the water drains to the front and doesn't pool between the houses. That is how the builder was supposed to grade it.
Never thought of that. That might make more sense but could lead to low grass at curb?
Deal Addict
Oct 22, 2016
1047 posts
987 upvotes
Comox Valley
tsatsa wrote: Do not build it up. It is there for a purpose to drain water away from your house to the street.
Sound advice, and in the future you may be glad it is this way. Read about problems here with water into basements and sump pumps suck.

If anyone ever wants to run the drainage (big o) close to the sidewalk, the city may not like that. I got hell for it once for doing it that way.
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2007
1101 posts
551 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Ideally, you should not have pooling anywhere.

The swale grade from front to back probably needs to be redone. On almost all my landscaping projects, I have to regrade the client's swale from front to back (or vice versa).

The builder either doesn't do it right or doesn't factor in foundation settling that occurs a year after. This, of course, is for a new build.

Is it grass all along this side of the property?

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)