• Aug 18th, 2021 7:35 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble

How to fix wobbly cutting board

I tried making it wet and putting a heavy item like a cast iron pot to weigh it down. Didn’t work.
12 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jan 16, 2011
7173 posts
9145 upvotes
The NORTH
do you have access to a wood shop or know someone who does? A quick pass thru a planer would fix that in a snap.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 3, 2009
5992 posts
1342 upvotes
Toronto
I always have a dish towel between my cutting board and counter to keep it from slipping. I'd think it'd help with wobbling too. Maybe even doubling up on towels if it's doesn't make a cushy surface for the board.
Remember to be an RFD-er and NOT a degenerate.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
kr0zet wrote: do you have access to a wood shop or know someone who does? A quick pass thru a planer would fix that in a snap.
No.

Guess I need to get a new one or just use a cloth like no frills said.
Deal Guru
Nov 15, 2008
12217 posts
7298 upvotes
I use a piece of yoga mat material I picked up from Len's Mill Stores under things https://lensmill.com/ They mail order.

The benefit is it is plastic so you can easily clean it up if meat juices or the like run off. It is rubbery-grippy & padded so it can accommodate an uneven surface. I use one under my kettle so it does not vibrate like a rocket taking off when it boils. It cuts the noise. Also, under my computer for vibrational noise too.
Dec 8, 2015
401 posts
223 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
I always use the HEAVY plastic ones because the wood boards always warp and it's annoying. The plastic ones last forever but I replace every 10 years anyway. They are not that cute looking in the kitchen tho. Bonus: they don't dull your knives as fast as wood.
Deal Addict
Dec 9, 2003
4990 posts
827 upvotes
Calgary
Four little plastic feet - like the door bumpers they put in kitchen cabinets to make the doors close quietly
I apologize for offending sensitivities of alt right, alt left, or anyone in the middle, for humor or perspectives, for my maturity and occasional errors. I apologize for misunderstandings on gender, religion, politics, race or deals.
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1548 posts
941 upvotes
Toronto
Cough wrote: Four little plastic feet - like the door bumpers they put in kitchen cabinets to make the doors close quietly
This. Just screw four feet into the corners, the bend in the middle will be irrelevant then.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3787 posts
596 upvotes
Leuven
Supercooled wrote: I tried making it wet and putting a heavy item like a cast iron pot to weigh it down. Didn’t work.
When you say you tried making it wet, what exactly did you do? That is a thick board and would require a long time soaking.

You could also try steaming the board for a couple hours, but from what I gather it has some risk of cracking the board.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
BongoBong wrote: When you say you tried making it wet, what exactly did you do? That is a thick board and would require a long time soaking.

You could also try steaming the board for a couple hours, but from what I gather it has some risk of cracking the board.
I never soaked it but I guess it would make sense given its thickness. I'll try the method again which was one of the more popular remedies for a warped board but honestly, the rubber feet idea is probably the quickest solution, clean and aesthetically pleasing of the ideas, apart from returning it back to the original state; wish I thought of it.

Steaming seems like a wasteful way to do it.

BTW, I got this during Ikea's Crazy Wednesdays promo a few years back; probably a decade ago? Was $5 from an original $15 or so.
[OP]
Deal Expert
Dec 4, 2010
19529 posts
2242 upvotes
Quarantine Bubble
evilYoda wrote: was put in the dishwasher?
I usually just wash it and let it lay flat to dry. Sometimes, not always, I will wipe it dry as can be but the times neglected probably took its toll.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2008
3787 posts
596 upvotes
Leuven
Supercooled wrote: I never soaked it but I guess it would make sense given its thickness. I'll try the method again which was one of the more popular remedies for a warped board but honestly, the rubber feet idea is probably the quickest solution, clean and aesthetically pleasing of the ideas, apart from returning it back to the original state; wish I thought of it.

Steaming seems like a wasteful way to do it.

BTW, I got this during Ikea's Crazy Wednesdays promo a few years back; probably a decade ago? Was $5 from an original $15 or so.
Steaming does seem like a bit much, but soaking and putting weights on is about as easy a remedy as there is (if it works). Other benefit of making it flat is getting the actual cutting surface flatter as well.