Computers & Electronics

How to format a hard drive with operating system ?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 29th, 2022 5:58 pm
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9430 posts
915 upvotes

How to format a hard drive with operating system ?

I have an old 500 GB hard drive that I would like to format it. I think it has Windows 7 on it (forgot exactly) as it was taken off from one of my old PC. I put it on an external drive enclosure and thought I can just plug it on the USB drive of PC to format it. However, the PC does not detect it as an external drive. I guess it is because of the operating system on it.

Could someone please advise what is the easiest way to format it ? I just want to format it and use it with the enclosure as an external storage. There is no data on the drive that I need to save/backup.

Thanks in advance for any help.
7 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 25, 2004
3451 posts
2059 upvotes
London
weather there is an os on it or not windows should see it if the drive works. if your using windows 10/11 try right clicking the start menu and go to disk management if the drive is working it should be there u can format it from there if it shows up in there.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9430 posts
915 upvotes
Gee wrote: Do you have the proper power adapter for the external enclosure?
Original power cable with the enclosure
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jun 7, 2005
9430 posts
915 upvotes
aaron158 wrote: weather there is an os on it or not windows should see it if the drive works. if your using windows 10/11 try right clicking the start menu and go to disk management if the drive is working it should be there u can format it from there if it shows up in there.
Thanks. This is what I see under Dish Management:

C: with NTFS as the File System with 1862.48 GB capacity <--- This is the hard drive of the PC I am using
Disk 0 Partition 3 with 450MB capacity <-- I think this is from the 500 GB external hard drive that I want to format
Disk 1 Partition 1 with 465.75 GB capacity <-- I think this is from the 500 GB external hard drive that I want to format
System Reserved with NTFS as the File System with 100 MB capacity

Update: I just assigned F: to "Disk 1 Partition 1" and able to format it. Thanks
Deal Guru
Nov 21, 2002
11179 posts
3537 upvotes
Winnipeg
rdx wrote: Thanks. This is what I see under Disk Management:

C: with NTFS as the File System with 1862.48 GB capacity <--- This is the hard drive of the PC I am using
Disk 0 Partition 3 with 450MB capacity <-- I think this is from the 500 GB external hard drive that I want to format
Disk 1 Partition 1 with 465.75 GB capacity <-- I think this is from the 500 GB external hard drive that I want to format
System Reserved with NTFS as the File System with 100 MB capacity

Update: I just assigned F: to "Disk 1 Partition 1" and able to format it. Thanks
let me fix that
Dec 11, 2008
977 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
So, you're familiar with Disk Management. That makes it easier.

Open Disk Management and right click on the partitions/volumes and Delete Volume all of the partitions on the drive.
Right click on the drive (which should now be all blank/empty space) and select New Simple Volume.
Follow through the Wizard and you can set the size, name, file type and finally format the new drive.