Careers

How frequent do you job hop for a higher salary?

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 28th, 2016 12:08 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
12 posts
7 upvotes
TORONTO

How frequent do you job hop for a higher salary?

For the last 2 years I've had four jobs where I quit for greener pastures and I've only been at my current position for 4 months and I'm already revising my resume and portfolio looking to bump my salary up by another 10-20%.

How many RFDers job hop and how long do you stay before you start to actively look for another job or are you content with your position and rather wait for a rise/promotion?
32 replies
Deal Addict
May 18, 2015
1627 posts
628 upvotes
Ottawa,Ont
darkhorizon wrote: For the last 2 years I've had four jobs where I quit for greener pastures and I've only been at my current position for 4 months and I'm already revising my resume and portfolio looking to bump my salary up by another 10-20%.

How many RFDers job hop and how long do you stay before you start to actively look for another job or are you content with your position and rather wait for a rise/promotion?
Its easier to job hop for some careers than in others
Deal Addict
Feb 23, 2015
2042 posts
857 upvotes
Brampton, ON
Ive been trying to job hop for the last 2 or 3 months from the current job I have.

Not very easy I tell you!
Deal Fanatic
Jan 27, 2007
5079 posts
940 upvotes
Peterborough
Hopping that quick will only work so long. Every 2-3 years is the norm once you are in a stable career for 5 years +.

Moving every 3-4 months looks horrific on a resume. You might be moving for more money in the short term, but long term is the way to think as far as a career goes.
[QUOTE]I know you are, but what am I.... ;) [/QUOTE]
Deal Addict
Oct 16, 2013
2332 posts
704 upvotes
New Brunswick
You will be seen as a flight risk to future employers.
Nov 26, 2015
360 posts
184 upvotes
I think it depends on your job. I'm software engineer graduated in Jan 2015 and till now I have already worked for 4 companies which I am currently working for two companies at the same time. 6 month time span in between because I didn't like the platform they use so I quitted. Except for the SV corporation I currently work for, the local companies don't care too much as long as I'm qualified because it's too difficult to hire a qualified in the market. So it depends on your job's supply-demand.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
33721 posts
7359 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
I love what I do and I've been with the same company for 10 years. It's a dead end because I'm already at the top of my field. Just have to be content with a cost of living increase every year

I've had other offers with more money, but at this stage, I'm comfortable where I'm at and the grass maybe greener elsewhere, but there is probably more mosquitos there too
Deal Fanatic
Nov 6, 2010
9317 posts
1363 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Depends on your field of work. You can typically justify it for a while, but if you keep jumping every few months, unless your jobs are contract-based, it'll start looking a bit off to most employers unless like I said, they're looking for shorter term commitments.

Personally, I would jump for a better opportunity not just more salary.
Dec 2, 2009
615 posts
215 upvotes
Toronto
I think it depends where you are in your career, the younger you are and the less commitments you have, the more likely one is to job hop, so maybe you should give more details behind your demographic. I'm assuming you're pretty young.
Dec 23, 2008
334 posts
60 upvotes
Toronto
wow, that's alot of jobs in a short time span.

usually 2 years within a role is considered the norm.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2001
9396 posts
1556 upvotes
GF did the same thing early in her career 2-3 yrs was tops. She's at a decent company now (Fortune 50) and has stayed for 7 yrs... although I spoke too soon and she's probably leaving for another job this summer, lol. Yes she is paid very well... on the flipside, i've been a 'lifer' and make peanuts... LOL.
...zzz...zzz...zzz...

www.heatware.com
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5533 posts
1416 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Depends upon industry. In ours lots of work is seasonal or contract. If you're full time it gets busier at certain times. In the last 3 years, I've jumped ship 11 times, But my job offers were almost triple that.
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2008
1558 posts
332 upvotes
Toronto
sleepyguy wrote: GF did the same thing early in her career 2-3 yrs was tops. She's at a decent company now (Fortune 50) and has stayed for 7 yrs... although I spoke too soon and she's probably leaving for another job this summer, lol. Yes she is paid very well... on the flipside, i've been a 'lifer' and make peanuts... LOL.
What if she applies the same logic to relationships? Be Careful!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35620 posts
21676 upvotes
Center of Universe
My organization proactively conducts market research (independently and with business consultants) to ensure we are competitive and will always counter the competition to retain talent.
Mar 4, 2007
403 posts
59 upvotes
Calgary
fluid wrote: what if she applies the same logic to relationships? Be careful!
lol
Deal Addict
Nov 8, 2013
1226 posts
229 upvotes
Mecca
If you want to make more money, you're gonna have to flip jobs several times.
Nov 19, 2011
292 posts
66 upvotes
Calgary
vkizzle wrote: My organization proactively conducts market research (independently and with business consultants) to ensure we are competitive and will always counter the competition to retain talent.
Sounds decent, my manager basically said wages are low in this industry, and tries to use that as an excuse lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 14, 2016
1754 posts
1176 upvotes
sleepyguy wrote: GF did the same thing early in her career 2-3 yrs was tops. She's at a decent company now (Fortune 50) and has stayed for 7 yrs... although I spoke too soon and she's probably leaving for another job this summer, lol. Yes she is paid very well... on the flipside, i've been a 'lifer' and make peanuts... LOL.
Fluid wrote: What if she applies the same logic to relationships? Be Careful!
sleepyguy wrote: she's probably leaving for another job this summer, lol. Yes she is paid very well... on the flipside, i've been a 'lifer' and make peanuts... LOL.
lol
Deal Fanatic
Nov 2, 2013
5533 posts
1416 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Now a lot less, but to get where I am, 4 times in 3 years (voluntary quite for higher pay).
Consultant, Operator/Trucker
  • Oilfield & Industrial Services, Road Construction
  • Tax & Finance
  • In the Western Canadian Oilfield since 2013
[OP]
Apr 13, 2012
12 posts
7 upvotes
TORONTO
flyingnurse wrote: Ive been trying to job hop for the last 2 or 3 months from the current job I have.

Not very easy I tell you!
Keep at it, your bound to land something soon!
dutchca wrote: Hopping that quick will only work so long. Every 2-3 years is the norm once you are in a stable career for 5 years +.

Moving every 3-4 months looks horrific on a resume. You might be moving for more money in the short term, but long term is the way to think as far as a career goes.
I tend to customize my resume for the position I apply for so that's not really an issue for me, plus keeping my online portfolio up to date is more important. But your right, it's not just a higher salary, it's also to acquire more skills, having a good work culture, flexilble work schedule and benefits.
ryan10075 wrote: I think it depends on your job. I'm software engineer graduated in Jan 2015 and till now I have already worked for 4 companies which I am currently working for two companies at the same time. 6 month time span in between because I didn't like the platform they use so I quitted. Except for the SV corporation I currently work for, the local companies don't care too much as long as I'm qualified because it's too difficult to hire a qualified in the market. So it depends on your job's supply-demand.
I work in digital marketing so it's possible work for multiple companies at once if you can manage your projects accordingly. I've worked in an agency where I did exactly that running online campaigns remotely. It's just finding clients willing to let me manage it is the tough part. I'm not at that stage yet, but hopefully one day I will, so not I'm just job hopping acquiring skills and looking for better pay.