Automotive

How frequently does a rock smash your windshield?

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 21st, 2019 8:32 am
[OP]
Feb 4, 2013
236 posts
352 upvotes

How frequently does a rock smash your windshield?

A rock smashed my windshield and it needs to be replaced. Being a high tech windshield with heating and sensors and all that garbage, I was quoted between 1300 and 1500 for the job. My comprehensive insurance deductible is $750 so that's what I'll be paying out of pocket.

I can lower the deductible to $250 by paying around $120 extra per year. So assuming I smash a windshield every 4 years or more, it'll be worth it.

I've been driving for around 10 years now and this is my first smashed windshield. So have I been lucky overall? What's your personal experience?
40 replies
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
I've never changed a windshield in 20+ years of driving. My current 17 year old windshield does have a couple small rock chips, But nothing worth the trouble of replacing.
I have no windshield coverage so I'm saving every year. Plus if I did have to replace, I wouldn't have a claim on my account so rates should stay low vs having claims.

If you tailgate dump trucks you're going to have more rock chips. If you live in Calgary it seems you're going to have chips no matter what, as there are lots of trucks, it's seems the city uses gravel when it snows, and it's very cold, all which lead to cracked windshield. I couldn't believe the number of cars I saw there with damaged windshields. People seem to have given up replacing them there, lol.
Deal Addict
Feb 4, 2010
1972 posts
991 upvotes
I think I've had a total of 3 cracks in my driving career due to stones- the last one was last year and was able to get it fixed for "free"...insurance covered but it was only $50. The other 2 times it was a huge crack that needed to be replaced...but I was a teenager driving my parents' car so it wasn't me lol and other time I sold the car as is.
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1543 posts
515 upvotes
My wife got two in one week a bunch of years ago (1 on each vehicle)...somehow she is still my wife. In 30 years of driving I think I had 2 other times that I had to replace a windshield. As the poster above said, if you see a dump truck pass it fast or get in a land as far away as possible.
Alex
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28797 posts
14603 upvotes
Ottawa
My entire windshield is pitted and the vehicle just passed 3yrs since taking delivery.
It's only visible in certain lighting, but no major chips yet.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 6, 2007
7107 posts
3311 upvotes
Kootenays
Many people in the interior of BC or in Alberta change their windshields every year. The roads get "sanded" with gravel here. The ones who don't just drive with the chips and cracks.
Deal Guru
Jan 15, 2006
12487 posts
8656 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:04 pm
My entire windshield is pitted and the vehicle just passed 3yrs since taking delivery.
Mine too. All windshields get blasted every drive.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28797 posts
14603 upvotes
Ottawa
EP32k2 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:25 pm
Mine too. All windshields get blasted every drive.
Any solution, other than replacing the entire windshield?
Aug 15, 2009
396 posts
202 upvotes
Montreal
1 every 3 years. I do around 60 000kms a year.

My windshield either gets a rock or sandblasted with all the sand and salt to a point I don't see much in direct sunlight... It's that bad.
Deal Guru
Jun 11, 2005
12831 posts
1639 upvotes
Toronto
I always seem to replace one every 2 years. A lot of highway driving and road trips.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
11664 posts
2682 upvotes
Montréal
I've had 3 cosmetic pits, it's ugly but doesn't warrant changing the whole windshield. Very unlucky as I always try to avoid trucks, etc.

I've seen some crazy ppl driving w massive line cracks, that's just insane/dangerous.
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Dec 19, 2015
593 posts
299 upvotes
Calgary, AB
Our old truck had a cracked windscreen and another crack occurred in the two years we owned it. We were crack free last winter on our new one, but it got a crack a couple of months ago. Some idiot in a BMW sedan decided to overtake and pull in way too close on an empty stretch of road.

I’ve never had an issue with dump trucks, for me it’s usually people overtaking and pulling in too close, pebbledashing the car with road gravel. I’ve got about half a dozen paint chips on the drivers side in just over a year because of it. Most of the time it’s in the National parks, where people seem to think doing 110-120 is a good idea (the roads are 90s).
Deal Addict
Apr 22, 2013
1982 posts
1178 upvotes
Markham
My first two cars never took much windshield damage. My current car though...my original got cracked, but this was after getting pitted multiple times. Current windshield has a very very small star crack. Having said that, this car spends the majority of its time on highways, whereas the other two didn't. Worst cracked windshield I've experienced was in a company car though, driving a minivan down from Newmarket over to Richmond Hill. On one of the rural highways, the truck going the opposite way ended up tossing a rock of some sort and smashed the whole bottom of the windshield, from the driver's seat sounded like a loud bang and I only noticed at a light as the bottom corner had several line cracks. When I finished the journey, to observe how bad it was, it had the look of someone who jammed a pointed stone on purpose. Probably was a 100 km/h+ impact since the speed limit there was 80.

Still, I'm quite glad my car is so low tech. Total windshield replacement was $300.
Deal Guru
Feb 11, 2007
11762 posts
11378 upvotes
Oakville
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 7:04 pm
Yes, mine also has tons of the micro pits. I notice it's common on many BMWs, and other German makers, maybe your Explorer uses similar glass?
I think this glass is soft and doesn't crack easily, but pits easily. Other brands seem to be harder, and avoid pits, but can crack easily.

I have wondered if it's possible to polish the glass, and I've seen some cases where people do it and it works, but I worry that it could unevenly polish it, resulting in slightly warped vision.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
28797 posts
14603 upvotes
Ottawa
engineered wrote:
Mar 19th, 2019 8:51 pm
Yes, mine also has tons of the micro pits. I notice it's common on many BMWs, and other German makers, maybe your Explorer uses similar glass?
I think this glass is soft and doesn't crack easily, but pits easily. Other brands seem to be harder, and avoid pits, but can crack easily.

I have wondered if it's possible to polish the glass, and I've seen some cases where people do it and it works, but I worry that it could unevenly polish it, resulting in slightly warped vision.
Supposedly, it's soundscreen acoustic glass.
It's taken some big hits...the loud ones, where you actually duck. Lol