• Aug 24th, 2021 9:34 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Sep 17, 2016
331 posts
151 upvotes

How to get best rate for USD to CAD?

Looking for recommendations on how to get the best rates converting USD stored in a bank account into CAD? Is the rate given by the bank usually a competitive one? What are the alternatives?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Sep 14, 2012
2373 posts
1767 upvotes
Montreal, QC
TitusBobby wrote: Looking for recommendations on how to get the best rates converting USD stored in a bank account into CAD? Is the rate given by the bank usually a competitive one? What are the alternatives?
Bank rates fluctuate but I would say that all of them are NOT competitive. Out of the financial institutions that I deal with (Tangerine, TD Canada Trust, and RBC), Tangerine's rate is better than TD Canada Trust and RBC but I wouldn't say that it is great. Also, don't fall for TD Canada Trust's line that people with a US Borderless Account account package get a better rate... yes, the rate is better than if you don't have this account package but it is like if you wanted to purchase a $0.50 postage stamp from me and I charge you $0.75 and tell you that if you follow me on social media, you get a better rate and you decide to follow me and instead of charging you $0.75, I charge you $0.70 for the $0.50 postage stamp.

How much money are you talking about converting? If you are converting I believe $2k or more, I would recommend opening an account with KnightsbridgeFX.

I would say your best bet is to find a friend or family member who goes to the US regularly or used to go to the US regular and/or spends US funds regularly and wants to buy your US money. I've done this (been on the buying end, not the selling end) with co-workers. For me, I tell them I will pay the rate quoted on the internet (since I'm not desperate to buy their money) so they get a better rate then selling it to the bank and I get a better rate than buying it at the bank.
Jan 7, 2019
368 posts
373 upvotes
Short answer: It depends.

Long Answer: how much are you looking to convert? Is it an on-going request (work for US Firm, paid in US?) or a one off transaction? Do you have any existing relationships at a bank? Are you heavily invested with that bank (mortgage, investments, CC, etc)?

For myself: Since everything is with RBC, I just email my financial planner and she takes care of the conversion for me at a much better rate than normal retail clients. It's closer to the google USD/CAD rate.
Remember to always Thumbs Up good responses! Spread positively.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 21, 2018
7587 posts
8183 upvotes
Vancouver
All the Canadian banks have terrible exchange rates, usually about a 1.5% penalty, although you can get a better rate from them if you make a special request for a large amount ($50K+).

There are many foreign exchange services that will do the exchange for about 0.5%, taking it from one bank account and depositing it to another.

Or there's Norbert's Gambit, which costs 0% (+ a small transaction fee usually) if done right, but you need a brokerage account, it's a bit more complex to execute, and there's a small timing risk that it might go awry and cost extra.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)