iGarage wrote: if your intrested we can get it done with rfder discount
exedy oem replacement kit is $270 HCK1006
resurface flywheel $80
transmission fluid $30
clutch fluid $20
labour $500
alignment $140
$1070 total takes 1 day to do =)
smacd wrote: If iGarage can fix it for $1070, I'd definitely do it. A running Fit with 250,000 kms should be worth more than $2,000.
iGarage wrote: rear suspension no problem
rear kyb shocks $ 200
labour $80
for both =)
iGarage is a reputable and honest shop. Been going there for oil changes and repairs for years!
May 31, 2017
42 posts
44 upvotes
iGarage wrote: rear suspension no problem
rear kyb shocks $ 200
labour $80
for both =)
I’m not a mechanic and just a guy whose dealt with past “suspension issues”. It seems like a pretty big assumption it’s just rear shocks for a suspension issue. I don’t know what the Fits set up is but there are often a lot of different issues that could be “suspension issues”...to the tune of thousands of dollars. Or am I missing something?
Deal Addict
Sep 6, 2017
2618 posts
1417 upvotes
BatCountry wrote: I’m not a mechanic and just a guy whose dealt with past “suspension issues”. It seems like a pretty big assumption it’s just rear shocks for a suspension issue. I don’t know what the Fits set up is but there are often a lot of different issues that could be “suspension issues”...to the tune of thousands of dollars. Or am I missing something?
You got these 10 dollar bushings that need like hours of labor to remove and install because it's too rusty.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2007
7630 posts
3880 upvotes
Alberta
If it was me, I would get really rid of the car. I wouldn't spend any more money on it. It's starting to rust and the mileage is up there.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2005
3603 posts
2712 upvotes
Ottawa
At 250K, it's probably more than just the shocks, likely sway bar links and bushings too. Now it's costing more to keep it alive on the road - worth putting $1500 on it? It's getting too close to tip to the "junk it" side!
May 26, 2020
23 posts
13 upvotes
I think both sides are valid here with respect to repairing or replacing the vehicle.

If it was me, I would be looking at the overall condition, what maintenance has been done to date and what may possibly come up in the near future, kms, future plans/needs for a car, how much it costs to repair vs purchasing another one, etc.

Also, I would suggest having your mechanic actually look at the car to determine exactly what it needs at this time in order to make a better decision.
Aug 21, 2010
515 posts
219 upvotes
toronto
i know automatically there are services that will take your car for scrap and they tow the car away as well on kijji..they give approx 500
- as soon as i put a car ad ,,that same day i get an email from someone willing to take the vehicle for 500 and they tow away..that might be an option
Jan 13, 2007
446 posts
324 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Looking on AutoTrader, a running 2007 Honda Fit with 250,000km will likely go for around $2,000 to $2,500.

My personal opinion, for a car with that mileage, is that it won't be worth it to repair. At 250,000km there will undoubtedly be other wear and tear issues with the car that are going to spring up in the near future, if not already.

The Honda Fit is a great, reliable car but this is an opportune time to sell it for $500 to $1,000 if you can and put that into a newer vehicle which will last you another 10 years or so.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7113 posts
3121 upvotes
"The devil you know than the devil you don't"... Don't get fixated on the cost of the repair relative to car, that's a trap since buying a $2,500 car (or even at $10k) will come with its own set of problems you don't know about yet.
If it's just the swaybar bushings and the clutch, I'd just get it replaced... if the rest of your car is healthy. When was the last time you replaced your clutch? As others said, it's a wear part like replacing your brakes so it's pretty impressive if it lasted 13 years / 250k kms... I replaced mine at 9/10 years or so.
I would also go with Ivan at iGarage.... I do, and he doesn't even know I'm from RFD... getting my swaybar bushings + more done with him next month too.

I got pretty deep into car negotiations and was only offered $500 trade-in on a car the same as yours, but bigger (and running). You'll definitely get more via Kijiji or parting out, but overall the used car market isn't really moving since people aren't crashing their cars / looking for replacements... and many are not in a financial position for an upgrade.
Last edited by SoroSuub1 on Jun 6th, 2020 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2011
2419 posts
1538 upvotes
Toronto
May not be worth spending the $$$ to get it running. Whatever you're going to be putting into it, spend it on a newer running car.
Up votes, down votes, they're all votes for me! I thank you!
[OP]
Jun 12, 2007
726 posts
354 upvotes
Yep leaning towards a newer used Fit for ~14k. Went to a dealer today and the base Fit is 27k out the door. Not sure how people buy brand new cars these days.

-I think I'll shine her up and post on Kijiji for $1800 and expect lower.
-iGarage seems like a great garage contact to have handy for the future.
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2007
3299 posts
464 upvotes
GTA
Fix it. I spent $1900 fixing a 2007 Mazda 3 with 250k on it. Still running, 1.5 years later with zero issues since then. A Honda would likely be even more reliable. Unless you want a shiny new toy...
Apr 5, 2017
455 posts
331 upvotes
Edmonton, AB
Those Fit are great cars. The most desirable car in its class with any domestic competitors such as Spark/Aveo belonging in the garbage even from brand new. The space/utility in the Fit is brilliant with all seats folding down flat for more total cargo space than most bigger hatchbacks on the market, and they easily last 400k km and cheap to run and maintain. The engines in them use timing chains so no replacement needed. Clutch has to be done on anything and if stock lasted 250k km I would try to get the other 250k km from the car.

No doubt someone will scoop it up. I have enough trouble as it is finding a Fit for sale. One popped up that needed all new shocks and brakes and someone still bought it at $2000 with 250k on the clock.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 3, 2008
7113 posts
3121 upvotes
tehwegz wrote: Those Fit are great cars. The most desirable car in its class with any domestic competitors such as Spark/Aveo belonging in the garbage even from brand new. The space/utility in the Fit is brilliant with all seats folding down flat for more total cargo space than most bigger hatchbacks on the market, and they easily last 400k km and cheap to run and maintain. The engines in them use timing chains so no replacement needed. Clutch has to be done on anything and if stock lasted 250k km I would try to get the other 250k km from the car.

No doubt someone will scoop it up. I have enough trouble as it is finding a Fit for sale. One popped up that needed all new shocks and brakes and someone still bought it at $2000 with 250k on the clock.
Uh, just note that the Chevy Sonic (discontinued) was the competitor for the Fit.

The Chevy Spark lives in a market segment of extremely small cars.... Mitsubishi Mirage and Nissan Micra.
Deal Addict
Feb 16, 2013
1152 posts
990 upvotes
Toronto
I did a clutch myself. It's not a totally horrible job. Usually driver control arm comes off to get room to slide bell housing off. Flywheel does not necessarily have to be resurfaced. You have to see condition. 12 hours shop time is a bit much. Seeing how they have a tranny lift. Budget for about 16 hours doing it in driveway.