Automotive

How to get out this plastic screw fastner?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 21st, 2019 9:31 am
[OP]
Banned
Jul 17, 2008
11042 posts
3846 upvotes

How to get out this plastic screw fastner?

Turning it does not get it out. I can reach around to the back and I can feel some plastic indentations, is this a type where to get it out I need to somehow release the clamps from behind? Do I need any special tools?

It's a screw that holds the engine underside plastic cover and I need to get rid of it to do my oil change and access the filter/plug

See video

9 replies
Deal Fanatic
Jun 11, 2005
8547 posts
2322 upvotes
Mississauga
Messerschmitt wrote: Turning it does not get it out. I can reach around to the back and I can feel some plastic indentations, is this a type where to get it out I need to somehow release the clamps from behind? Do I need any special tools?

It's a screw that holds the engine underside plastic cover and I need to get rid of it to do my oil change and access the filter/plug

See video

Video not working. If its plastic just cut it and replace it with a new one. Buy the new one first.
Penalty Box
Sep 25, 2007
147 posts
28 upvotes
Niagara Falls
1999 has the right idea. People waste to much time on this. Force it out and replace it. In a pinch use a self tapping (sheet metal) screw .
Deal Expert
Jun 12, 2007
16324 posts
5076 upvotes
London
The plug is two pieces. The outer plug spreads when the small screw is inserted. It's like a plastic drywall anchor. Reach behind and tightly hold the outside of the plastic plug. Unscrew the inner plastic screw
Mar 17, 2006
598 posts
302 upvotes
My Mini has a bunch of these things. When you have access to the back, hold the prongs tightly and unscrew. It should pop right out. When you don't have access to the back, you need two screwdrivers (a flat head and a Phillips head). You hold the outer ring down tight with the flat head ( or some needle nose pliers) and unscrew with the Phillips. Don't be tempted to use the wrong size Phillips as you'll surely strip the screw (soft plastic) In the case where you do strip it (and eventually you will), you can heat up the tip of the screwdriver and melt yourself a new +. I always have a bag of these lying around. 95% of Mini Cooper front end repairs involve removing at least 10 of these fasteners.
Dec 7, 2011
786 posts
574 upvotes
Toronto
I usually wedge a pick between the two parts and unscrew it. If it's still spinning /stripping the head, use a pick/small screwdriver to wedge between the two parts and use a small pry tool to lift the top clip.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 1, 2005
5725 posts
3333 upvotes
Toronto
Use your fingernail or a flathead screw driver to press down on the outer ring part while also lifting up as you spin the inner part with a philips head.

Most of the time you can just pop the centre piece out with a flat head but there are some that you have to spin with the above method.
:arrowd: B/S/T Threads :arrowd:
[FS] N/A
[WTB] N/A
Jul 7, 2005
576 posts
151 upvotes
Either pinch the back to unscrew or try unscrewing while pulling the piece your trying to remove, point is you need to create tension behind the plug.

If its a soft plug, you can probably just push the screw out