Cell Phones

How to get the phone number that I want?

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 27th, 2020 2:48 pm
[OP]
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
19822 posts
677 upvotes
Shanghai, China

How to get the phone number that I want?

When I go to the option to change my phone number, I can only select the city and then the screen will randomly populate with a series of phone number. Is there a way to specifically check whether the area code and phone number is available with any of the carriers?
5 replies
Deal Addict
Mar 23, 2011
1653 posts
678 upvotes
You could call the carrier and ask them
Alex
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18374 posts
2202 upvotes
Woodbridge
Which carrier b3cause with Fido & Koodo their self service allows me to go through a list and with Koodo you can select the LAST FOUR digits.

It took me about a few days to get 3177. As long as it's 416 or 647 I'm good.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2073 posts
1154 upvotes
Calgary
Generally at most you're going to be able to see if the last 4 numbers are available.

Carriers are allocated blocks of numbers known as NPA-NXX (area code + prefix). For example, a 403-561-xxxx number would have been assigned to Rogers, so no other carrier can provide that number range (number porting means that a customer COULD being their Rogers line with that number to another carrier, but if it got abandoned down the line, only Rogers could re-assign it.

This is the main reason you won't get a choice of numbers outside of the last 4 digits.
Deal Addict
Feb 28, 2012
1010 posts
1658 upvotes
Alberta
Is the number of your choice worth $21?
VoIP.ms has many (DIDs) to choose from, easily searchable. Find the one you want, port it out to your carrier. It'll cost you the $15US initial deposit, no charge for the porting (takes about a week).
Deal Addict
May 31, 2003
3031 posts
251 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Telus' online number changing allows you to search through pretty much all available numbers.
"The crows seemed to be calling his name, thought Caw." - Jack Handey
References
HeatWare